1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best session beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Darkmagus82, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Any chance of some self shot videos of people after ten pints of their favourite 6% "session" beer? I need a laugh
    WhatANicePub likes this.
  2. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) New York Apr 7, 2011

Dale's Pale Ale, love grabing a case and throwing them all back with a few friends on a friday afternoon.
  3. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

In NJ carton boat and monkey chased the weasel. Lagunitas daytime and 21st bitter american really good too, cant wait for founders all day in jesey either I'm sure its great.
  4. bepps

bepps Aficionado (110) Michigan Aug 18, 2011

I could definitely drink Sixpoint Crisp and Lagunitas Daytime anytime, and to a lesser degree, Goose Island 312.
  5. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

For me it's NG Spotted Cow. Clean, crisp and easy to drink.
  6. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Boulevard Pilsner is a great session beer. If I want more flavor and abv, then Free State Copperhead.
  7. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

SN Kellerweis is one of my choices because it's so readily available and tasty any time of the year, even if the ABV is a little high.
  8. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

seakayak likes this.
  9. DNICE555

DNICE555 Savant (485) Connecticut Aug 13, 2008

Otter creek hop session. 4.25 percent. So tasty. They have been keggin this since September. I hope it's stays a regular.
  10. Really digging this thread, as most people are posting beers with a reasonable abv. Maybe these "best session beer" threads are better because there appears to be more offerings that are low abv from brewers now.
  11. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (220) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

FatHeads has one called Sunshine Daydream that clocks in at 5%, tap only, very tasty when I can find it.
    Also All Day, Day Time, Bitter American get a lot of time when they're around. I prefer to drink a lower alcohol beer 'cause I don't like to fall down.
    Tucquan likes this.
  12. I like Polygamy Porter. While it can't compare to higher ABV porters, at 4% ABV, I think it has a lot of flavor. I look forward to skiing at Alta in Utah, having a 16 oz pour for lunch, and being ski afterwards. I wish it were available in Washington DC.

Also at 4%, I like Uinta Baba Black Lager. It is available in DC, so it is one of my go to session beers. At 4.4%, 21st Amendment Bitter American is also pretty tasty.
    IPASearcher likes this.
  13. Carton Boat Beer continues to impress me. Super sessionable and with a wallop of grapefruity hops.

Levitation is the old standby.
  14. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

I always forget Yuengling is an east coast only beer. :oops:
  15. Anchor Steam is one of my favorites. Such a unique flavor. Have some in my fridge right now. Oh so tempting.
  16. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Pretty sure we both were being both...
  17. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I don't know. I'm a ticker and us tickers don't belive in drinkin a beer more than once. Ya heard? However I can pound down PBRs like nobody's business.
  18. As much as some folks may knock Sam Adams (are they craft, are they not? (which by definition they are)), I like Boston Lager. Abv is mile, taste is up there, and it's not too expensive.
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  19. Murphy's Irish Stout, 4% ABV.
  20. gumballhead..........and im from cali
  21. Many BAs haven't grasped the difference between a session beer and a sessionable beer.
    The first is a purpose brewed drink of low gravity, generally restricted to 4% ABV , the second is whatever you like to drink a few of.
    It's like a screwdriver and a kitchen knife. A screwdriver is designed for the purpose, you can undo a screw with a kitchen knife but that doesn't make it a screwdriver , just something that can be used to drive screws.
  22. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

And just because you claim to be the arbiter of all terms used in all lands doesn't make you the judge of proper beer language in a land 3000 miles away from yours, 50 times as large as yours, and with an English speaking and beer drinking population that greatly outnumbers yours.

I say it is an elevator and a car hood, not a lift and a bonnet, and at least I have the aforementioned attributes as a reasonable way of determining and proclaiming my correctness. You have steadfast insistence to a group of rules, and for terms used, by UK citizens, for UK citizens, and to only benefit of UK citizens.

Why you care what words we use is beyond me. We know what we mean when we say session beer, and you know you are not buying a replacement hat at an auto parts store.
  23. in a relative sense, i suppose. but the boundaries are quite fuzzy in the american "definitions". a large demographic now uses the term to mean "beer i like to drink a lot of", regardless of how it might OBJECTIVELY affect them. ie, they might say, "hey, at least i don't get shitfaced", but a blood alcohol measurement would easily say otherwise. i dare say it is approaching a majority of both american beergeeks - and casual craft drinkers who have come across the term - that now use the term so cavalierly. this is my estimation from the past 2 to 3 years, in my reading of retail outlet newsletters/emails, from conversations at tastings, events and festivals, and even in supposedly "professional" industry publications/periodicals. ie, "session beer" simply means "low" ABV, where "low" is quite often just about anything that isn't labeled "imperial".
  24. In other words it's meaningless.
    Strange how we get so many threads regarding beer styles in which posters argue over fine points (which are arbitrary) yet when it's suggested that session beer is a well defined entity they say that language evolves and a word can mean anything you damn well please.
    The thread may be relabelled "Best beer of any strength which hasn't been defined"
    ColdOne and tai4ji2x like this.
  25. hehe, well, perhaps not totally "meaningless", but definitely approaching "vague" or "lacking in specificity."
  26. A marathon, by definition, is 26.2 miles. A 10K road race my feel like a "marathon" to me, but it isn't.
    tai4ji2x and herrburgess like this.
  27. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

I'm not sure what you mean by "did not want to control their 'house yeast'". Anyhow, we've written about on our decision to stop making Anglo-American beers with an English Ale yeast strain, which can be found here:

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/the-debut-of-noble-king
  28. Acforster2

Acforster2 Aficionado (245) Florida Jan 17, 2011

Narragansett summer ale 4.2% abv 16oz cans available in about a month.
  29. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm going to have to go with something that is not terribly popular here and say Bell's Oarsman. I would prefer something like Gumballhead or All Day IPA but I just don't get them near me.
  30. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Different countries will have different traditions as it concerns alcohol and drinking. Whilst in the UK it might be considered improper for a person to become intoxicated, which ends up informing the definition and cultural institution that is the "session", in other countries this does not apply, at least not in the exact same way. The way I see it some American beer drinkers have discovered the British concept of session drinking and found the term session drinking to be useful as a descriptor of a type of drinking that they themselves engage in but for which there didn't previously exist a specific name for in the US. But them borrowing the term session doesn't mean that they adopt the entire concept wholesale as is, or that they have to. They adapt it to their own cultural traditions, as is often the case when foreign concepts are adopted by a population or subset of a population.

The British might think that the Americans have hijacked the concept, but I fail to see how their use of the same term threatens the British definition of the term in their own country. The only way I could possibly see there being an issue with this is if the British view the term session as a cultural export of theirs which is intended to be spread to other countries and implemented, unaltered, to the same standards and in the same way as back in Britain. This is seldom the case with cultural imports, there's no telling to what degree or in what way the native population will adopt new concepts, ideas or products.

Whilst the originators might not like how their cultural exports (intended or unintended such) are used by other people in other countries, it's really out of their hands.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Poor analogy as there is a consensus among all those who fall under the purview of the governing body which sets that limit. IOW, there is no argument from an even larger body of runners claiming it is a different distance they understand as a marathon that is not 26.2 miles.

A better analogy would be old time Russians telling modern that vodka is made only with potatoes, therefore we should stop calling it vodka.
  32. Yards Brawler is really nice. I also have been known to spend an afternoon with a few pints of Guinness. A bar I frequent has Paulaner pilsner on tap that is scary good while taking in a ball game.
  33. True. My point was simply if you don't have a number surrounding a term that could benefit from one, you risk losing the definition of that term. For example, some call a 6% IPA a session beer.

In addition to that, 4% is not arbitrary as Marquis mentioned. Every 0.5% you increase beyond this point, your blood alcohol level increases exponentially. Therefore, there isn't "only" a 2% difference between that 4% Murphy's Irish Stout and 6% Dogfishead IPA you're drinking. You've drastically increased the amount of alcohol to water in that drink. Just because it's not an 11% imperial stout, this does not mean 3 of those IPA's won't have a dramatic effect on your body. Again, I will have to do some digging, but I can pull up the study in Scientific American detailing the effects of a beer beyond 4% abv.

From Marquis: "At around 4% ABV the dehydating effect of the alcohol balances the hydrating effect of the rest of the beer. Above 4% therefore beer ceases to be thirst quenching and we get into the realms of drinking water as well to avoid dehydration."
  34. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

Whatever, bro! I've been seshin' the shit out of HopSlam every night for the last three weeks!!!

;)
    Sam_Frank likes this.
  35. jman005

jman005 Savant (460) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

Hard to name the best session beer. Most APA's in and around 4-6%abv make a pretty good session beer in my opinion.
    creal92 likes this.
  36. I do my sessions during the summer, when it comes time for warm weather and cookouts and baseball tailgating, so I would say mine are: Victory Prima Pils, Lagunitas Pils (I know it's a little high at 6% for a "session" though) and DayTime IPA (when it hits early fall), Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, and Founders All Day IPA.
  37. In season, I love Victory Summer Love. Just enough hop flavor to keep my interest, and easy to drink.
  38. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Tactical Nuclear Penguin.
  39. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I think SNPA is a fantastic session beer. It's subtle and not very complex and goes down very smooth.
  40. You're a better man than me then.Twelve Imperial pints of Hopslam would slow me down a little, probably couldn't manage the rest of the evening's drinking.