1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best session beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Darkmagus82, Feb 13, 2013.

1. PointsBistro

PointsBistro Aspirant (25) Jan 29, 2013

Columbus Brewing Co. IPA. Just that right Hoppiness and Bite.

2. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

The conflict between what's ideal healthwise and what's realistic from a cultural perspective is an issue which Sweden has grappled with for centuries by now. It would be better healthwise if people drank a few pints of 3.5% beer every other day instead of drinking 5%+ strenght beer and spirits on the weekend, but that's simply not part of our culture. It took alot of legislative effort to make Swedes drink beer instead of vodka as their alcoholic beverage of choice, and by the looks of it the de facto compromise as things stand seems to be that we drink 5.2% abv beer or 13% abv wine instead of 40% abv vodka. Is that progress or simply status quo?

In recent years, after Sweden joined the EU there's been much talk about Swedes adopting "continental" drinking patterns where people consume moderate amounts of alcohol on weekdays instead of drinking it all on a friday or saturday, but more and more we find that people simply combine the two types of drinking instead of switching from one to another. You can try to manage the destructive consequences of a drinking culture to some extent, but you can't replace it with the ideal of your choosing.

I say this because in my mind it might be unrealistic to think that an American concept of session beers could mimic the same abv limits as those of the UK. Especially if we're talking craft beer drinkers, I think the average abv for the average drinker might easily approach 6% rather than 3.5% or even 4.5%. This is obviously not ideal from a health perspective, since intoxication is more likely, but it might be the more realistic, or de facto model.

One might continue to argue for the consumption of lower abv beers, but as things stand I don't think that the discussion amongst Americans on what constitutes a session beer is remarkable in any way.

3. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

Summit - extra pale ale
    Schell's - Pilsener
    Sam Adams - Noble Pils