1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Sour Beer or Berliner Weisse in the Midwest

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by LordofTime25, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Had the love child this weekend and it was really nice!
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I have a bottle, never tried it. Excited to though.
  3. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Verity, LC3, Enigma.
  4. You're gonna like it, and hunt down some more.
    It's very good.
  5. Pour decisions had mn Weiss for a minute and at least one special release sour. Schell's is releasing their Berliner aged on raspberries. Anything else interesting coming out soon?
    PieOhMy likes this.
  6. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (270) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

It's so good. I need to track down a few more bottles before it completely disappears

[​IMG]
  7. New Glarus
    Boulevard
    Pour Decisions
  8. Matthew13e

Matthew13e Aspirant (45) Georgia Mar 5, 2012

No mention of Rodenbach or Russian River Consecration either? Surprising!

9. :confused:
  10. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

All tied:
    Pentagram/five
    Misanthrope
    NG wild sour
    Pour Decisions and Star otN are both very good, but havent blown me away.
  11. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Oh lord. When and where can one find the the Schell's raspberry Berliner?
    Ristaccia likes this.
  12. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Nope. No mention of either.
  13. Yes, please tell!

Actually my bank account and my taste buds are conflicted on this desire...I want this delicious raspberry Berliner ASAP. However, with Darkness Day in a week, last week's trip to Russian River, a pile of TG bottles, the GI Sisters, and pending BCBS & variant release my wallet could use a break.

...that and all my temp controlled storage is stuffed. Thankfully Darkness Day should put a good dent in that problem. Lots to Share!
  14. MetricOcean

MetricOcean Zealot (90) Minnesota Apr 3, 2013

The Thirsty Pagan in Superior, WI has awesome options too. Really great program going on there, some of the best sours I've had.
  15. Within a few weeks I would think. They were bottling it last week I think
  16. Sorry checked their Facebook page and in the comments they said it will bottle age for three weeks so mid November
  17. any good ones come out lately or set to come out this spring? I have heard that Harriet has some great stuff going on, but I haven't made it up there to try it. It seems that more and more brewers are alluding to future souring programs but nothing seems to be materializing as of yet. The future incarnation of pour decisions referenced that they will have a new Berliner Weiss distributed to a number of select bars, but I don't know how it will compare to the acerbity they brewed pre-merger, it will interesting to see how the merger impact what I think was the state's best souring program.
  18. TooGood

TooGood Savant (440) Minnesota Jan 28, 2014

My local shop has several of these all bottled 6/15/13, does age matter with this style?
  19. I found numerous bottles of the FdN in st peter, I drank one and felt it mellowed a little bit, although I thought the FdN wasn't nearly as good the regular SoN, I would be happy to check the quality of the bottles you found if you share their location with me.
  20. Just heard lucid does a gose called gosler, has anyone had it?
  21. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

central waters does a great coffee sour.
    mnbearsfan likes this.
  22. By those standards great river has the best souring program in the region if not country.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  23. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I bought one bottle. it was ok. not very sour. not bad, especially at $7, but nothing special IMO
    ben4bier likes this.
  24. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Let me stop you right there...
    lonewolfcry, Yulles and ben4bier like this.
  25. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

My go to sour off of the shelf here in MN is Lady of the Woods from Cisco...that is when I'm not digging into my horde of Russian River and Crooked Stave stock.
  26. that is my general policy, but there seems to be a small but vocal group of ba's claiming that after their initial mediocrity they seem to be kind of getting their sh!t together.
  27. TooGood

TooGood Savant (440) Minnesota Jan 28, 2014

Napa Valley Liquor in Otsego has several bottles of Star of North