Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Belgium Best stores for Cantillon in Belgium

Discussion in 'Europe' started by taylor714914, Jul 23, 2013.

1. A good friends brother is a in Brussels but refuses to go to Cantillon because he's scared and thinks it looks like a rough neighborhood.I told him I'd try to find stores in the area that would sell bottles that he can bring back.

Anyone know of any?

2. belvedere86

belvedere86 Advocate (625) Belgium Apr 1, 2013 Verified

He's a big pussy. I don't know why he's scared. Maybe he's afraid of not white people ;-) who have taken over big parts of Brussels. But he doesn't need to be afraid of them. It's ramadam. They only come out after sunset :p
  3. Brussel is a rough place to be. I don't like that stinking town (sorry to all people who live there).

4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

In my experience the best place to go is Cantillon. Tell him to man up.

5. He could hire a Limo and a bodyguard to take him to Cantillon and still save money on biertempel prices !!!

MTFU !!!
    jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  6. The brewery...unless you want to overpay or are after something rare.
  7. SStein

SStein Savant (490) Colorado Dec 26, 2012 Verified

That area is not all that rough. It is just busy and crowded. I take my 2 year old daughter down there all the time as I make my every other monthly trip to Cantillon to enjoy their fine offerings. Hopefully he is taking the train as parking is a bitch down there. That being said buying beer at Cantillon is half the price of their beers at any of the stores near there. I bought a bottle (or 3) of Fou Foune last year at 8.5 Euro each. Up the road 2km at the bottle shops it was 14 or 15 Euro. Tell him to grow a pair and go buy beer.
  8. Jwale73

Jwale73 Champion (820) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007 Verified

I didn't find it any worse than certain parts of Boston - actually less concerning. That said, do be careful. A good friend of mine had his passport and other things stolen by a two guys working a scam (one was the distraction, the other was the thief). He knew something was up, but thought he was going to get jumped and didn't see the other guy grab his bag through his car window.
    OtisCampbell likes this.
  9. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

If he isn't man enough to walk in that area to Cantillon, he CERTAINLY is not deserving of Cantillon! It sounds like you need a new friend haha
  10. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Savant (260) North Carolina Sep 8, 2012 Verified

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but after seeing this I was hesitate to walk to Cantillon. However, after walking I can't imagine why anyone would feel uncomfortable walking to the brewery. Don't let this deter you from enjoying your trip at Cantillon.
    drtth likes this.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,135) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Verified

While I'll most definitely be buying my Cantillon bottles at the brewery - any other store recommendations in the area? Do stores carry any other varieties that might not be available from the source?
  12. pthread1981

pthread1981 Savant (320) Germany Mar 23, 2007 Verified

Wow, a bit surprised to hear someone would be concerned. The thought never even crossed my mind walking there. Seemed like a fairly normal neighborhood.
    drtth likes this.
  13. slaneja

slaneja Aficionado (175) Belgium Mar 26, 2010

Check Malt Attacks or The Malting Pot. Might have different variety, but the prices are not inline with what the brewery charges, at least to me. Ignore the Biertempel.
  14. AGirlandHerStout

AGirlandHerStout Aficionado (130) Indiana Nov 23, 2014 Verified

My husband and I walked to cantillon. Twice. Zero issues. And it's so much cheaper to buy from the brewery then the stores.
  15. Domingo

We're in the Grand Place area and I'm fully planning on walking over. I might drive over to stock up one day, but that's a totally different scenario. Everyone I've met has told me it's not exactly Beverly Hills, but it's not a bad area.
  16. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (420) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Just walked from Cantillon to Moeder and back yesterday. Have done it at night on other occasions, and staying in a hotel just down the block another time. Completely safe and never felt in danger. If you are just flat out afraid of people with different color skin then you might not want to walk around there, but then those are personal issues that you should get squared away if you plan to travel abroad.

Not only is it the only place you should pick up their bottles in town, even a non beer drinker can appreciate the history and passion visiting the brewery.
  17. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Savant (260) North Carolina Sep 8, 2012 Verified

Staying in the same area and we walked there several times with our hands full on the way back! Don't forget to grab a magnum of Gueuze while your there.
  18. +1 to this

Although I was at Cantillon last week and have to admit I was scared. Scared that I could only have 1-2 drinks because I was the driver.
    Bwagner1122, kkleu357 and dmsulli like this.
  19. Domingo

If I did, I'd have to drink it while we're in town. We'll have wine shippers, but I don't think one of those will fit...
  20. Sp015

Sp015 Aficionado (205) New Jersey Sep 13, 2014 Verified

Magnum in the suitcase, 750's in the shipperz.
    Ferocious likes this.
  21. wesbray

wesbray Advocate (515) Alberta (Canada) Feb 29, 2012 Verified

While it's not the most evocative area of Brussels, I in no way felt vaguely intimidated on the walk there (in fact, I even stopped into some of the stores on the way).
  22. Maybe it's just out of the way and he's just finding excuses not to run an errands for you? Anyway, I've seen some of the Cantillon basics -- Grand Cru, gueuze, kriek, framboise -- for relative small markups (less than the specialty shops) at one of the bigger Cora groceries. Maybe worth a shot if this joker has one within 12 feet of his regular commute/shopping routes.
  23. Ferocious

Ferocious Savant (360) Illinois Nov 17, 2012 Verified

Is that the Cora in Anderlecht or Woluwe?
  24. Hugues

Hugues Aficionado (110) Belgium Aug 30, 2015

Jealous Dutch people:p... no wonder we kicked them out a while ago:rolleyes::D but they keep coming back, because it's better here thabn at their place ;)

OK, Cantillon brewery (it's actally a museum) is indeed in a relatively rough and poor neighborhood (but for other reasons than originally hinted) and housed in an ugly 50-s industrial buiding. Not exacvtly a pretty tourist cliché.

The stuff they brew is unapologetic (sticking to the Lambic-brewing dogma), and relatively difficult to drink (often served with sugar, as it is too sour for any)... a toughly acquired taste, really... Better try the stuff from Mort Subite or out of town breweries
  25. aleigator

aleigator Savant (495) Germany May 10, 2014 Verified

26. erbu

erbu Savant (255) Belgium Feb 12, 2014

Bish whet?
  27. Domingo

After walking to Cantillon a few times, I'd say it's 100% safe to walk from the tourist areas. At the same time, I think I get where some of the oddball fear comes from. It's a relatively poor immigrant neighborhood and I'd describe it as a little dirty. Brussels isn't necessarily the cleanest city in the world, but that area definitely has a lot of random trash on the sidewalks.
    Still, it's VERY safe and the people in that area seemed to pretty friendly to me. It's poor, not dangerous.
    drtth likes this.
  28. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Advocate (525) Massachusetts Jun 5, 2013 Verified

yep, it's certainly not a charming neighborhood but I've never had anything close to a problem walking there
  29. Hugues

Hugues Aficionado (110) Belgium Aug 30, 2015

It's all in the perception of what you call danger, really

I certainly wouldn't feel threatened walkling around in the neighbourhood in the day or evening.... But little old ladies could understandably feel that way by the kids hanging on the streets.

And I'm not sure pretty young women would feel at ease in the evening if not accompanied by at least one man.
  30. TomFoley

TomFoley Savant (265) Pennsylvania Mar 19, 2005

<OK, Cantillon brewery (it's actally a museum) is indeed in a relatively rough and poor neighborhood (but for other reasons than originally hinted) and housed in an ugly 50-s industrial buiding. Not exacvtly a pretty tourist cliché.>

If you ever get to the states, check out North Philly.
    drtth likes this.
  31. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Poobah (1,120) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010 Verified

Wait, what?
    Canada_Dan, belvedere86 and radium like this.
  32. Maakun

Maakun Aficionado (160) Netherlands Oct 12, 2012

It might not be the nicest neighborhood, but compared to some other areas in Brussels it's quite OK. I once stayed a week near Brussels North station (not the side where the Hilton is :) ), and while I also didn't feel unsafe there it's quite another thing, as are other areas in the city.
  33. Jwale73

Jwale73 Champion (820) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007 Verified

Didn't look any different than South Boston did 20 years ago.
    trilliumhead84 likes this.
  34. Both. At one time Anderlecht was the best grocery selection I've seen in Belgium but both have a good range.
  35. BeerThursdays

BeerThursdays Advocate (595) Delaware Feb 28, 2010 Verified

So... I guess he was kinda right.
  36. byronic

byronic Advocate (565) Ontario (Canada) Nov 8, 2013 Verified

If you feel the neighbourhood is unsafe then hop on the train and walk from the train station (brussels-zuid, midi) it's a very short walk but watch for pickpockets.
  37. Ha, well, if you're referring to, um, recent events, the now globally as opposed to locally famous parts of Molenbeek are still closer to the center (Grand' Place environs) than they are to Cantillon.