1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best Taprooms

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beachfirebrews, Feb 11, 2013.

1. beachfirebrews

beachfirebrews Member

Which brewery or breweries have the best taprooms and what's so great about them?
  2. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Member

Stone's is pretty impressive. guess that's an obvious one. the restaurant / bar area is like a modern craft beer cathedral. the space is really beautiful, architecturally, and one side has giant windows looking into the brewery, the other side is windows to the outside

Mission Brewery is a cool space. giant old brick warehouse. really cool

Sierra's pub is an awesome, cozy space with sort of a mountain lodge feel, and, of course, epic rare beers on tap (and cute bartenters)

i also like the no frills ones with not seats and just a few taps in a ware house (like Port Brewing, Green Flash)..
    yemenmocha and tgchief like this.
  3. beertunes

beertunes Member

The phrase "tap room" can mean different things. Do you mean a tasting room at a brewery? A bar/ restaurant with a separate dining area as well? Some dive bars where I grew called themselves Tap Rooms. Wouldn't pretty much every brewpub be considered a Tap Room?
    5thOhio likes this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Member

Stone Brewing.
  5. tgchief

tgchief Member

Lost Abbey is fun because you can interact with the activity while enjoying taproom only specialties!
  6. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Member

Kona, because, well, it's in Kona.
    luwak and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  7. NHbeerfishing

NHbeerfishing Member

I'm all into the VT taprooms. They are getting Hill Farmstead dominated and offer a great selection of other pedigreed brews. Check out Worthy Burger in South Royalton, Three Penny taproom in Montpieler. When you get to Waterbury to to Blackback Pub(6HF offerings), Prohibition Pig and Resivoir Taproom. They are all on the same block and sooo good, Blackback just got Mad Taco also. Very tasty!
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  8. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Member

For a good range of unique, world class pours on tap....Holy Grale in Louisville, KY. Not the largest number of handles but what they lack in numbers, they make up in quality.
  9. beachfirebrews

beachfirebrews Member

Let me be specific...I'm talking non-pub brewery specific taprooms. Brew pubs are great, but I often enjoy going to a brewery's taproom because you don't have to worry about waiting for a table or seat at the bar. Also, you can sometimes interact with brewers or other staff at the taprooms.
  10. WBD

WBD Member

Full sail
    dirtylou likes this.
  11. 5thOhio

5thOhio Member

Brewkettle in Strongsville Ohio.
    24 taps, all craft, no BMC.
    Plus, their own beers are $3.75/pint during happy hour.
    Horseballs likes this.
  12. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Member

Troegs and Victory are both great, though Victory is usually too crowded for my liking.
    xxbillay likes this.
  13. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Member

Midwest Trinity; Bell's, Founders, and Three Floyds
  14. luwak

luwak Member

Snow Goose in Anchorage cause it has a rooftop patio and you can see the whole city and the mountains...and there's an elevator for all three levels
  15. EddieGold

EddieGold Member

The Wedge, Asheville, NC. Great beer, great people, no TV's, free peanuts, great music, near water and when its not too cold you relax outside and possibly watch the sun go down over the beautiful blue ridge mountains.
  16. onefalsemove711

onefalsemove711 Member

Hands down it's the Pelican Pub and Brewery in Oregon.
  17. beertunes

beertunes Member

I'll vote for Selins' Grove Brewings room. The best room I've ever drank in.
  18. MSardina1

MSardina1 Member

Speakeasy in San Francisco just opened their taproom yesterday. It. Is. Awe-some.
  19. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Member

There is no beer experience that can compare to Russian River Brewing - the Sistine Chapel of Craft Beer!
  20. jmgrub

jmgrub Member

Drake's-5 barrel-aged offerings at any given time
    Avery- lots of brewery-only offerings

Worst taprooms: Any that only serve beers you could obtain by walking to your nearest liquor store or bottle shop-Firestone Walker (pre-Barrel Works) comes to mind
  21. beachfirebrews

beachfirebrews Member

Was just at Bells and 3F, which is what prompted this thread. Bell's has an awesome taphouse...great atmosphere and huge selection.
    KingBiscuit likes this.
  22. OLSKOOLKEG

OLSKOOLKEG Member

Russian River Brewing In Santa Rosa Ca is the place .with Pliny the younger out this past week..and only 4 days left for the year 2013....
  23. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Member

Im gonna go with Oso in Wisconsin for this reason, they have about 40 taps and sell all of the best of Wisconsin. Some breweries will have 1 or 2 guest taps, but OSO has all of there specialties plus the best specialties of competing Wisconsin breweries. To me that says something as they are selling there main competitors beer in order to have a spectacular tap room.
  24. KevSal

KevSal Member

The bruerys tap room is pretty killer. I'm also a fan of drakes.

I need to check out speakeasys new get up
  25. jb123

jb123 Member

Star dust. End of story.
  26. CKYnick01

CKYnick01 Member

Victory is very nice, more or less a huge brewpub, Im not sure if they have an actual tasting room. Dogfish is ok but nothing to exciting, and if theres a group of girls in the tasting room you might as well forget about getting a sample.
  27. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Member

FFF is effing sweet.
  28. Goosey

Goosey Member

Vivant took the cake for me. By far the coolest vibe of any brewpub I've been to, food was fantastic, and all the stained glass and the huge old tables gave it a very unique atmosphere. Bar was sick.
    [​IMG]
    Dark Horse takes second, and all of the mugs on the ceiling give it a real homey feel. Make sure and take the tour so you can hit the VIP room and get some bbpt5.
    [​IMG]
  29. gatornlb

gatornlb Member

Don't have a ton to compare to, but I had a really good time at Harpoon's tap room in Boston, MA. Cool cozy bar setting looking over the brewery. Plus, it's free! All you can sample for an hour :)
  30. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Member

Worthy Burger is a savior, now I only have to drive twenty minutes for HF instead of all the way to Montpelier or Waterbury. And I get a delicious burger to go with it! I have a feeling the place is going to start to get crazy popular (as if it isn't already).
  31. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Member

They got rid of that room and now have a beer hall. Not sure if you can still drink for free after tours.
  32. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Member

I've only been to Harpoon, Sam Adams, and Allagash. None had brewery only offerings, except for Harpoon which had a mild that didn't perform commercially. I'm going to venture from MA to VT to DC this summer, so I'm taking notes from this thread on where to head. So far I have HF, Alchemist (do they have a taproom or am I just grabbing a case and running), then Victory and Troegs...
  33. gatornlb

gatornlb Member

Thanks for clarifying. Wow must have just snuck in before it closed...was out there about a month ago. Glad I was able to check it out before it went away.
  34. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Member

For a new one I would go with Societe it is pretty cool had some picnic tables and great IPAs think the tasters were only $1
    also big fan of Hess they are expanding there tasting room but a great vibe did 5 tasters and a nice glass for $10 cant beat that lol
    local to los angeles there is Ladyface Alehouse they have good selection of beer and nice food also have some live music sometimes for free cant beat that for sure another great place
    and of course cant forget Alesmith great vibe nice clean and they usually have a different version of the Speedway stout (one of my favorites) just love that vietnamese speedway omg
  35. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Member

The new hall opened at the beginning of Feb. The pours are 5.75 a piece, but not sure if you get any for free anymore. I loved the old room, they didn't have anything crazy or special, but you could drink their entire line for 30 mins, it was nice
  36. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

Vivant is cool, I agree with that.
    Favorites would be: Cigar City...just because it's epic. Tons of taps, always up to date draft "screen", friendly people, shuffle board. And best of all, a bunch of experimental, brewery only releases. Awesome.
    I love Founer's tap room as well. It's again, awesome atmosphere, and the fact they have some of the Michigan's best acts perform there, make it even better. Great music and awesome craft beer, hell ya!
  37. sefus12

sefus12 Member

I was lucky enough to go there a few times last winter and while the setting is damn awesome, the beer itself blew my expectations away. Some of their draft-only beers ranked up there with most anything I've had in the US.
  38. fdig23

fdig23 Member

Tired Hands. Beer, bread, cheese, and pickles.
  39. BarRoomHero88

BarRoomHero88 Member

The one that stands out to me is The Three Penny Taproom in Vermont.