1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Valued Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LarryAppleton, Jan 8, 2013.

1. My recent research indicates that for my own personal taste-

It's Squatters Hop Rising IIPA @ $9.29 a sixpack.....that is correct, a 6 pack!

2. Any Samuel Smith

3. Ok, for you haters, yeah, I think Sierra Nevada (PA, Celebration and Torpedo) is better than ZD. AND I can get a case for $25 and that NOT on sale.
    YES, ZD is good, I can't lie, and YES, I can't get it here, but it's just not on top of my list.
    Also, I can get two other awesome I/DIPA's within a mountin bike ride away. They're from a brewery with the initials of RR. Any guesses?
    Go Niners!!!

4. Their Porter is awesome. Its a beer and a brewery I take for granted since I live 20 mins away. I always pass on the Porter cause I know I can get it whenever I want and straight from the brewery for that matter.

5. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Have to add the Brooklyn Monster Ale at the same price.Cheers

6. Safeway sells 12ers for $11.97-12.97 on sale. Yeah, that's cheap.

lucas1801 likes this.
  7. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Luganitas Maximus.

8. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Pretty surprised no one has said New Glarus. A case of their beer at some of the cheaper retail outlets is $28. Let me say that again, $28 for 24 bottles of Dancing Man Wheat.

Also, Zombie Dust/Alpha King.

Brunite likes this.
  9. Because most of us looked and realized the OP doesn't live in or near WI. Same reason I didn't recommend Jack's Abby from MA.

10. Sweetwater And Colombis IPA at 8 bucks per six.

11. Smuttynose hasn't got enough love around here. Their mixed packs and IPA are fantastic at $11-13 per 12 pack. The dates are always obvious, as well.

12. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Summit.

13. $8.99 here, but still the best pale ale you can buy at that price.

14. Founder's Breakfast Stout - 4 pack for $9.99
    Stone Double Bastard - 22oz for $6.99

two world class beers at a great price!!

15. Perpetual, Finest Kind, Loose Cannon. All under $40/case in Central PA.

16. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Dude, you would think Jai Alai would be cheaper in FL, but it's not. I'm in FL and they still sell it for $10.99/6 at most places (even at Total Wine), although I did see it on sale yesterday for $9.99/6 at Whole Foods. Their other primary offerings, Maduro Brown and FL Cracker White Ale are $7.99/6 everywhere. If Jai Alai were $7.99/6 as well, I'd probably buy it every week.

17. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Weyerbacher Heresey and Blasphamy . Blasphamy wasy $7 a bomber this year. Yeah!
    Trader Joes Celebration ale by Unibroue for like $5 a bottle which is just as good as their regular lineup selling for $9
    Until this year, Jewbelation that was ~$5 but this year they Goose Islanded us and went to $8 Still good for a 15% bomber (GI as a verb -- meaning to raise the price of your favorite beer by 50%-- ex. BCCoffee)

18. Old Rasputin (the regular one) is one of the most accessible and affordable Impy Stouts out there.

19. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Surprised nobody has yet mentioned SA. Fresh Boston Lager or Octoberfest at an easy to find (in my area) of roughly $ 12-12.99/twelve pack is a no-brainer. A buck a bottle is hard to beat for any GOOD beer.

That said....best bang for the buck IMHO:

Any New Glarus for around $ 7.50 a sixer.
    Any Great Lakes for around $ 8-8.99 a sixer.
    Any Founders for $ 8.99 a sixer.
    FW brewed Mission St PA at $ 6.99 a sixer.
    Old Raspy & Brooklyn BCS at $ 7.99 a 4-pack.
    Celebration at $ 12.99 a twelver.
    Lagunitas Maximus for $ 9.99 a sixer.

Hmmmm. I'm outta here. Off to the bottle shop!

20. Sierra Nevada. Torpedo, Big Foot, Celebration, Hotimum

abcramer likes this.
  21. Similar to mayflower is the otter creek stovepipe porter with a bit more smokiness, I like the hop bombs like hoponius u at eleven bucks a 4pak of solid 16.9oz bottlez

22. For the cheap twelves though its gotta be sn, or saranac, or Newcastle. I wish mayflower had a cheaper variety 12 er.

23. Ive seen it on sale in Mass for 7.49$, impossible deal to beat.

SN Celebration, Brooklyn BCS, Jack Abbys Hoponious Union, Lagunitas seasonals all good deals for the quality of brew.

Smuttynose Variety 12 Packs (IPA, Porter, Pale, Brown Ale) are solid.

A bomber of Berkshire's Holidale for 3.99 is a good purchase.

I buy plenty of 18 packs of highlife for 10.99$ too :)

24. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

No no, you're the hater! I like SNPA quite a bit for its economy and availability, in fact it was my go-to PA for at least 6 months (before I discovered the depth of craft beer)! A case for $25 is hard to beat, but with a trip to a place I love and $10 more, I cannot say no to ZD. You are spoiled with TONS of great IPA's/APA's in California, I can't believe SNPA is always in your fridge like ZD is in mine. At least give us the courtesy of providing another world class brew that only Californians can get by the case!

25. Sierra Nevada Kellerweis - for $8.99 per 6 near me. Not bad for what I consider to be the best Bavarian-style hefe made in the US.

abcramer likes this.
  26. Roaster

Roaster Disciple (70) Massachusetts May 12, 2009

But since you mention Jack's Abby anyway... 4 packs of 16.9s can be had for $9.99 around me. Underpriced, if you ask me. Best deal in MA, hands down.

BigCheese likes this.
  27. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Dale's Pale!

28. Stone IRS is the best value IMO. One of the best RIS on the market and is $7. I'll add Storm King 6er to the mix as well.

29. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I always stack up the price of craft brew to Sam Adams, as it seems you can't get it any cheaper than that. I always thought that Great Divide and Great Lakes were reasonable in price. Neither brewery makes a bad beer either.

30. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

Pretty much anything from Lagunitas.

31. Most everything from Sierra Nevada and Great Lakes.