1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Best Way to Extend Life of IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmogator, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jmogator

jmogator Member

I've got a few cases of Heady Topper and would like to keep some of them good as long as possible. What's the best method of storage? Refrigerator at near freezing?

Thanks,
    John
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Yup.
    But even under ideal conditions, you'll be best off drinking it within a few months.

Bluecane and kpanter like this.
  3. Steimie

Steimie Member

A few cases? Get some buddies together and drink it. That's your best bet.
  4. jlordi12

jlordi12 Member

30 minutes of exercise a day and two Headys every night.
    blguillen, cfrances33, Dagsy and 5 others like this.
  5. JM03

JM03 Member

FTFY
  6. NHbeerfishing

NHbeerfishing Member

Headies, headies, headies. I get them every few weeks and try to hammer them down within a couple of weeks. They just don't age that well. The batches can be all over the place regarding taste. Sometimes they are at a sweet spot a week or so in, other times they are perfect right away and can be swilled. As a rule I like hoppier batches right away and some of the more pale ale tasting batches are fine two weeks or so after canning. Right when you get to alchemist and have a taster it's pretty obvious how the batch is.
  7. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Member

Put them in the freezer. Once they are completely frozen they will will be good at least a few years, just thaw when you want to drink one.
    beercules101 likes this.
  8. Aml42000

Aml42000 Member

Use some in trades & drink the others. They aren't going to age well.
  9. Dools9

Dools9 Member

Keep 'em in the fridge. I would kill someone for a can of Heady, never mind a few cases. Consider yourself lucky.
  10. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge,
    stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge
    ColdOne, RStang13 and Providence like this.
  11. BigGene

BigGene Member

Once your able to post in ISO/FT trade those suckers, they can pull a lot of good beer.
    Revenant likes this.
  12. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

FIFY - this is heady were talking about. ;-)
  13. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Yes - I agree (but I'm not the one who bought multiple cases and then thought, "Now what?:eek:" ).

I always tried to drink my Heady Topper within 15-20 minutes or so of purchase (but that was at the brewpub, before it was being canned).
  14. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Member

Love a little G Love and Special Sauce in the morning!
  15. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

One can of Heady is roughly 300 calories. Better make that 60 minutes of cardio.
    XpensiveBieros likes this.
  16. Ranbot

Ranbot Member

Yes, but be careful about cold spots in your fridge, usually near the cold air vent. Cold air from the vent into the fridge is usually a several degrees colder than the air where the thermostat is located. If you're fridge is packed tight and air can't circulate well within the fridge then the difference in temperature between the vent and your thermostat can be more dramatic. For example, I keep my normal fridge on the cooler side (42 F, I think) and sometimes stuff in the back starts freezing, particularly when it's more full. Heady Topper is too good to accidentally freeze it.
  17. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Member

It's good to know that there is this variance. I recently got four in a trade and while the bouquet was very nice, the flavor abruptly fell off a cliff leaving alcohol and Unami. Plus, the MF was a little thin. I had a hard time believing what I had was the best example of the #1 beer in the world. I drank it wihtin a couple weeks of being canned. Too fresh?? I'm sharing the last two with a friend today after having had them in the fridge for a month. It'll be an interesting experiment.
  18. jmogator

jmogator Member

Thanks all for the great replies! I love this stuff, and don't want it to ever go bad. :) In order to make the trip up to the Alchemist from Boston economical (cost of beer >> cost of gas) I calculated that I should buy 3-4 cases. Didn't think much about what I would do after. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely going to drink at least 1/day, and I have an entire fridge dedicated to keeping the stuff cool. I'll also probably do as BigGene suggested, since I would really like to get my hands on some KBS, BCBC, Pliney, and Parabola.
  19. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Member

Sell one to me. ;)
  20. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Member

42 isn't on the cooler side, it's barely refrigeration at all. 40 and under is what the FDA suggests for homes, and 42 is actually the max that our local health department will allow for commercial kitchens. I'd be more worried about parts being too warm than too cold.
  21. Ranbot

Ranbot Member

I was going off memory, but I haven't looked at my thermostat in a while, and judging by what you're telling me I was probably wrong. I do know that my fridge thermostat is set above freezing and there are areas that can dip below freezing. My point is, don't set your fridge temp at 33 F and expect the entire box to be exactly 33 F.
    chefkevlar likes this.
  22. jbertsch

jbertsch Member

I always thought when people bought 3 cases they were just using most of it as currency for trades, and not for drinking.

I think I'm part of the 0.00001% of people who can never justify buying cases of an IPA because a bunch of it would just get too old for my liking before I got to drinking it all. I don't want to drink the same thing day in and day out for 2 months...

But yeah, definitely keep them nice and cold in the fridge...experiment with how long you enjoy them before you feel they fall off too much for your liking. Enjoy and maybe cook with some :)
  23. Bluecane

Bluecane Member

Trading some can be a good idea, but it will add a bit to your costs. So, if minimizing costs is the concern, that's not your best bet. Instead, maybe post in the NE forum that you have more Heady than you can reasonably consume, so you are willing to sell cans at cost to anyone who'll come meet you. They get a great deal, and you get to meet some [hopefully] cool local BAs!

In the future, maybe look for a driving buddy. I found a couple on BA in the past, guys I had never met, and they have become great buddies of mine.
  24. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

I dunno, share the Heady wealth with other like minded area BA's? ;)
  25. willbm3

willbm3 Member

I'm in Boston and I'll buy some off you if you really have too much
  26. ablackshear

ablackshear Member

The best way is to drink it, and it will live forever in your dreams
    jman005 likes this.
  27. slander

slander BA Site Editor Staff Member

I was going to say 'drink it and remember it fondly often'.
    cfrances33 likes this.
  28. mobius387

mobius387 Member

buy moar
    Dagsy likes this.
  29. atoulouk

atoulouk Member

I got a case of HT in July and held on to my last one to "age" it, going to drink it side by side a fresh one when my co worker visits his brother in Waterbury again this summer. Talk about an employee benefit.
  30. abcramer

abcramer Member

IPAs are for drinking and enjoying, not for storing.
  31. Jaycase

Jaycase Member

Drink slowly ;)
  32. Handle

Handle Member

This man is a saint.
  33. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Member

I homebrew and keg. I made a fairly standard IPA with 4+1 oz centennial hop pellets (one dry in the primary after cooling).

I let it sit in a keg under CO2 at 35-39 for seven months. At the end we drank. It was a very mellow and well blended pale ale.

My point? I don't think it makes a difference if it is cold.
  34. KevSal

KevSal Member

The hoprys motto..

"fridge the hops!"
  35. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Haha well the OP said he had too much and was from Boston. I merely offered to solve his problem with a mutually beneficial solution
    Handle likes this.