1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Way to Save Half a 750ml

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlackDragon, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Whats the best way to save some of a very high ABV like 12%+ 750ml. I normally try to share these with a friend but somestimes they end up not liking the beer.
  2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I use a wine stopper and try to finish it the next day
  3. IPAyForHops

IPAyForHops Savant (270) California Apr 24, 2010

I use vacuvin to save whatever is left of a 750 mL bottle.
  4. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Use a wine stopper. If it gets too flat, just take a straw and blow some bubbles into it before you drink. Viola!
  5. Wine stopper for me.
  6. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

get some extra bottles, buy some bottle caps, and a bottle capper from a homebrew store.
    Uncleserg, Sokool, DanK4 and 3 others like this.
  7. I usually take large format bottle and gently transfer the liquid to a regualr 12oz bottle and cap it with a lever-top stopper.

The vacu-vin isn't effective because that device is designed to create a vacuum. To do so means having to pump out all the carbonation. And just inserting the vacu-vin into the neck is ineffective because the valve system is designed to allow pressure to escape the top of the cap or the cap will just work its way loose from the carbonation from the beer.
  8. Use a champagne stopper myself, on the very rare occasions I don't finish a 750 bottle. This stopper works wonders when you open a 3F Armand & Tommy at 11pm and you then realise that's too much acid that time of night ;-)
    gjoker321 and F2brewers like this.
  9. honestly I just stick the open bottle back in the fridge. Usually still has enough carbonation the next day and these high abv beers will not oxidize as quickly
    tronester likes this.
  10. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

that's what I do.
  11. Petela

Petela Aficionado (165) New Jersey Mar 21, 2013

Re-cap with a bottle capper
    tronester likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

13. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

+1 to everybody saying use a champagne or wine stopper. I use these: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/champagne-wine-stopper/s618780?a=1552&device=c&network=g&matchtype=

They keep a beer over night no problem so that I can enjoy half one night and half the other. Sometimes I am just not in the mood for the whole bottle, so these help tremendously. You'll get a mild dip in carbonation over 24 hours, but just don't be too aggressive on the pour for the second glass and it'll still be tasty. I personally have not noticed any adverse effects doing this.
  14. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I wonder if a ball jar will hold a touch of pressure. Otherwise, I'd find a friend to share the other half with.
  15. never open a bomber/750ml unless i'm prepared to finish it crew
    kojevergas, dciBA, Jazzpha and 9 others like this.
  16. TTAmod

TTAmod Savant (315) Illinois Oct 4, 2008

As far as I'm concerned, once you pop the 750ml, it should be empty by the time it's finished being consumed. I've tried some of the aforementioned suggestions, but it never feels the same.
  17. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I would buy a few of these...
    [​IMG]
    Save the bottle and use it when drinking heavy duty bombers!!
    [​IMG]
    The trick is you have to decant the beer into the clean flip-top first, make sure you fill up the bottle as much as possible. I've saved beer for up to 2 weeks like this!!
    darky, jgluck, NWer and 3 others like this.
  18. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

Purge with CO2 and recap. It's good to be a home brewer.
  19. bahnfire

bahnfire Savant (465) Vermont Jan 17, 2011

THIS. Works awesome.
    ChanChan likes this.
  20. Do you use a rack? I can't pour without making too much head
  21. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

If you don't have any of the above surely you have an empty growler?
  22. bahnfire

bahnfire Savant (465) Vermont Jan 17, 2011

I just carefully pour from the original bottle into the flip-top and then cap it and put back in the fridge. Then I proceed to enjoy the open beer.
    NWer likes this.
  23. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

o_O
    LambicPentameter and dianimal like this.
  24. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

drink it
    cwreay90, MC6, Longstaff and 4 others like this.
  25. AMW

AMW Aficionado (125) Massachusetts Jan 13, 2013

Ditto. I use a champagne stopper and it keeps the carbonation well. I would advise on finishing the bottle after one or two uses.
  26. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

I use ones like those and I keep mine on the door of the fridge. It's fine for at least a week.
  27. DQuintero

DQuintero Aficionado (100) Texas Mar 19, 2008

Drop a sliver or two of dry ice (from walmart) and let the bubbly outweigh the O2 out, recap and put a tight triple or quad teflon wrap followed with a double wrap of electrical tape.. viola !
    Siggy125 likes this.
  28. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Sounds good. But who's Viola?
  29. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

These work wonders. I use them for anything I can't pour the entire bottle into a glass and just keep it on the bottle. Especially if I'm outside at the cabin or something to avoid anything from falling/flying into my bottle. They don't work so well on any corked 750ML bottles as the opening's to big for the cap. But I recommend these 100%.
  30. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Frank...he pitched in the Bigs for 15 years...Twins, Mets, Red Sox, Reds and Blue Jays
    Soloveitchik, MC6, yamar68 and 3 others like this.
  31. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Recapping is great for bombers that have the same size mouth as a typical 12 oz. bottle.

For others, get an expandable wine stopper. Vacuum sealers are prone to failure when used to cap a beer, and a plain old rubber wine stopper will not keep the carbonation in. However, if you use a wine stopper that has an expandable rubber stopper, you can easily create an airtight seal that will hold up pretty much indefinitely. However, even your hardiest brew will be noticeably oxidized after 2-3 days, so make sure to finish off that bad boy the next day.
  32. DQuintero

DQuintero Aficionado (100) Texas Mar 19, 2008

its french bro o_O

means like, 'presto' or sumthing
  33. acurtis

acurtis Champion (755) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

10 or 12oz growler, cap on foam. Works great
    djrn2 likes this.
  34. acurtis

acurtis Champion (755) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

35. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    fox227 likes this.
  36. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I love being able to open multiple bottles of High ABV bombers and not having any of that beautiful brew go to waste!!
    Slatetank likes this.
  37. The few times I do this, the remaining beer is in the bottle for about 12 hours and is then finished in one fell swoop. Generally though, if I open a bottle I'll finish it, I dislike finishing beer the next day.
  38. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I didn't know people do this. When I open 22oz or 24oz bottle, I finish it. Even growlers, I open it then I finish it.