1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Way to Save Half a 750ml

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlackDragon, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I've never opened a bomber or 750 and saved the rest for later. Then again, I can't remember the last time I wasn't sharing when I opened one. I might give the re-seal idea a try though.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Don't use a vacuum stopper, it pulls the CO2 out of suspension.

3. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

zip lock bag, duct tape.

wrap the zip lock bag around the lid and push a finger down into the bottle, pushing the bag into the bottle and wrap duct tape around the neck of the bottle securing the bag and forming a seal.

4. Well I think that goes without saying.

JammyV likes this.
  5. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

I've been doing this with growlers too- works like a damn charm. Nothing like picking up a growler and not having to plan when you open it and consume it before a certain time. Oxbow sells their 750's in a flip top so now I just top one of those bad boys off and enjoy the remainder of the growler, which is usually a glass or two.

6. What is this "leftover" beer you speak of?

7. awinkro

awinkro Savant (285) Texas Oct 15, 2008

Stop drinking alone or finish it.

DStoked likes this.
  8. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I think I'll do what someone said and get a swing top bottle and cap completely full I think the growler would let too much oxygen touch the beer
    How'd the beer turn out 2 weeks later?

9. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Here's what I do. This is my own "invention"

Buy a CO2 duster (not a regular keyboard duster as that contains some pretty harsh chemicals)
    They look like this:
    [​IMG]

Next, buy a champagne stopper. They look like this:
    [​IMG]

Spray the CO2 into the bottle and wait until the pitch of the note (you'll hear it) drops and stays constant. CO2 is denser than air and, therefore, will sink to the bottom of the empty space in the bottle while clearing out the lighter air containing Oxygen. Next, cap the bottle with the champagne stopper. REFRIGERATE

This method does 2 things: it prevents oxidation and it allows the beer to hold its carbonation.

you could also sway the champagne stopper for one of those nifty swing-top bottles

OR

drink the whole thing like a man.

franklinn, 1up and Retail1LO like this.
  10. Everyone answered the question pretty thoroughly. My response is, if they don't like it, yay me because that's more I get to enjoy that same day! :) The rule in this beer house is, if a bomber gets opened, it goes top to bottom in the same sitting because it's never as good the next day and loses too much. (Unless it's some ridiculous off the charts ABV like a Utopias, Sink the Bismarck, etc.)

11. My father said he saw him years later playing under a made-up name in some tenth-rate league in Carolina. He'd put on fifty pounds, and the spring was gone from his step, but he could still pitch. Dad used to say no one could pitch like Viola.

ant880 likes this.
  12. BlackDragon

Wasn't drinking alone read my OP was drinking with a friend but he ended up not liking the beer and got something else. To all the people who say drink the whole thing whats the point if I'm so buzzed I can't really taste it very well anymore even if it changes slightly I think its better to be able to taste it:)

13. Finish your beer, and then figure out which beer you're going to drink after that.

If you can only handle a glass of beer before getting all wonky in the head, find a different sport to play

14. You're my hero, Tballz.

Tballz420 likes this.
  15. BlackDragon

One of the beers I'm talking about is 18%. I'm guessing you'd be pretty wonky after drinking a 750 of it and if I'm at a tailgate or event I'd like to be able to walk after. Also didn't realize beer was a sport seems like the opposite of a sport and something to do while watching other people play sports.

16. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

This.

I used to be sad when I had a fridge full of bombers and no friends that liked craft brew.

Now I'm just an alcoholic.

DStoked, sukwonee and RobertColianni like this.
  17. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

18. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Where I'm from, this is the sort of statement that would inspire a black eye.

19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

A real problem for solo craft people with big BA Stouts. That's why i traded some for BCBS thank god for 12 oz bottles, a bomber of BCBS would be a task for me. I have a quite a few put away, but have trouble finding anyone to pop them with.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Here's a crazy idea, don't bring 18% bombers to tailgating or whatever event especially if you have a moderate to low tolerance. Sometimes you have to choose the right beer for the right occasion.

BrettHead, LeRose, Hugonaut13 and 3 others like this.
  21. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

22. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

I've seen it work, even seen it re-carbonate flat bottles. (Think Lost abbey, lol)

23. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

Very interesting! I use 32oz swing tops, but have 64oz jugs as well. I rarely do 64oz fills because I do not want to waste any beer and even forgo buying some local beers that only come in growlers because of this. It's a tough justification though - I have my 32oz growlers and don't do many 64oz fills so technically this would not be something I need. That said, maybe I'd start doing more 64oz fills if I had it. I see that there is talk of an adapter for other growlers... I feel like I could justify it more if I was able to get that right off the bat.

24. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

I actually did this with a 2010 Abyss recently and it still had most, if not all, of its carbonation!! I prefer to not wait more than a week before consuming the beer tho!!

25. um...

FINISSSSH IIIITTT

26. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I weigh about 120lbs, soaking wet, and I never have a problem finishing. Man up.

Centennial likes this.
  27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

That's great but what does that have to do with beer?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  28. Hoooo! This guy! He'll be here all night! /SeinfeldVoice

Hanzo likes this.
  29. deezy23

deezy23 Aficionado (175) Georgia Nov 15, 2009

30. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Savant (260) California Sep 19, 2009

just man up and drink the beer. ;) I have to agree with most that a wine stopper is and excellent choice. Personally, once I open a 750ml bottle myself or friends are killing it. 12% is high but do able anything past that one is walking a fine line between throwing up and not. :eek:

31. BlackDragon

I support peoples freedom to do and say whatever they want I won't surrender ANY of my freedom to the political correctness police:mad: on top of that it was a joke made in response to another joke.

32. BlackDragon

Have you used it yourself and since you say it can recarb flat bottles how does it stop from over carbonating your beer which IMO can be just as bad as under carbing?

33. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Buy two, drink one. The second one will be thre tomorrow.

RobertColianni likes this.
  34. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

So you would support me saying that you really need to learn the vagaries of punctuation?

35. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.

JxExM, Centennial and BlackDragon like this.
  36. nickthetick

nickthetick Savant (280) Maryland Feb 20, 2010

A lot of good ideas here, if your pouring into a growler, swing top bottle or jar; ( my grandfather would go to the bar with empty jars and get them filled, keep em in the spring house and drink them throughout the week) make sure your using a soft pour and a clean vessel.

37. BlackDragon

I would support your saying it but that doesn't mean I agree:D I definitely wouldn't support threats of violence like yamar68 just because I don't like what you have to say. I'm done with this conversation tho since this is beeradvocate not english or political advocate.

38. BlackDragon

Anyone know if vodka be a good thing to use would be a good thing for cleaning the bottle before putting beer in it?

39. Starsan