1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Way to Save Half a 750ml

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlackDragon, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

Not everyone is a drunk bro.
  2. Centennial

Yes, I have actually used it and you can check the psi level inside if you want style specific carbonation.
  3. you misspelled 'Professional'
    Franch, spartanfan, ant880 and 12 others like this.
  4. Centennial

cool
  5. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Where do you guys buy your wine stopper? Do super markets generally have them?

6. That's what I've done on the few occasions on which I've had to save some. I always make sure I drink it the next day, which seems to work just fine. If you plan to save it for several days, I would think a wine stopper would work as well as anything.
  7. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I'd rather use alcohol instead of chemicals if vodka will still work has anyone done this and did your beer get infected in 1 or 2 weeks?
  8. Homebrew stores, liquor stores, department stores...all of these should carry them. I get mine free from my suppliers.
    dar482 likes this.
  9. Vodka is not an effective sanitizer.
    LeRose likes this.
  10. you'll get over it.
  11. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I use my third leg to plug the top.
  12. That's actually not something you wanna boast about......it's not that impressive ;)
    BuckeyeOne likes this.
  13. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Did you give beers to your dog? Thas bad for them.
    paintball_LEGEND likes this.
  14. tvl89

tvl89 Aficionado (230) Texas Feb 3, 2013

I drink the whole bottle my myself :)
  15. To everybody who is responding with the "man up and finish the beer" line: part of the reason I love craft beer is because I hate the macho, alpha male BS idea that you're not a real man if you don't imbibe excessive amounts of beer. The is the kind of crap I associate with the BMC crowd - the same people who say "a real man doesn't drink beer with fruit in it." So should we avoid kriek because it's brewed with cherries, and hefes because they taste like banana?

By the way, I know a lot of you who responded in this way did it jokingly, and my response here is sort of tongue in cheek anyway (I don't have a problem with ball busting, I just wanted to put this point out there).
    LeRose, JxExM and Centennial like this.
  16. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

In YOUR belly!
  17. clonebrewer

clonebrewer Aficionado (160) Iowa Sep 5, 2009

Whew! I was starting to think I was on the wrong webiste. Amen brother!
  18. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (710) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

wait, you can't finish a 750ml? Do you even drink beer, bro? That's just a nightly warmup.
  19. Good_Trader

Good_Trader Initiate (0) Viet Nam Nov 21, 2012

Isn't everyone on this site kind of a drunk, bro?
  20. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Pre-trade half of it.
  21. Good_Trader

Good_Trader Initiate (0) Viet Nam Nov 21, 2012

Would you keep the top or bottom half?
    AnnArborJoe, FTowne and JxExM like this.
  22. BlackDragon

No and I hope you weren't serious because if some of you are thats sad:(
    Centennial likes this.
  23. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (710) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

srs?
  24. Sounds like you should be referring to it as your 11th finger, not your third leg.

But on a thread-related note: these "what should I use to save X if I don't want to finish it?" threads are some of the most entertaining on BA. It's always about a 50/50 mix of honest answers to the question and snarky paraphrases of "man up and finish it bro!". It's fascinating to me that even in a sub-community (Beer Advocates) of a sub-community (craft drinkers) of a sub-community (beer drinkers) of a community (adult beverage drinkers) that there would be such divergent attitudes and opinions in terms of general philosophy (to finish or not to finish...).

That being said, I appreciate the honest answers. There are just some beers--this one comes to mind--that I'm not likely finishing in a night, partly because of the high ABV, but also because it's a flavor-intense beer and I'm going to want something else in addition to that. The only times I've saved a beer have been unexpected, so it's not like saving overnight is my M.O., and I would hazard a guess that most of the people that save beer are in similar situations. I'd hazard a guess that most BAs would prefer to avoid storing overnight if at all possible, because even if you can get the quality close to freshly-opened, we know that it's going to be a little bit different.

Personally, I tend to use a standard wine stopper (the kind with the rubber ridges to create a seal) and try to drink the rest at the next opportunity on the following day. I learned through experimentation (read as: the hard way) that using a vacuum sealer kills your beer. I'm not too bright.
  25. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Advocate (600) Illinois Jul 17, 2012

Who actually has 1/2 a 750. once its been opened consider it gone.

But on a serious note. I use a wine stopper while im in between glasses and the unused portion is chilling in the fridge waiting for the 2nd pour.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Well you better quit drinking beer, most breweries use star san or something very much like it to keep infections to a minimum.
    EDIT: alcohol is a chemical as well.
    BrettHead, alysmith4 and Tballz420 like this.
  27. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Fill the rest of the bottle/growler/tulip/can up with marbles and cover the top with saran wrap. Store in microwave. It'll be there in the morning.
    VaTechHopHead, Hugonaut13 and JxExM like this.
  28. BlackDragon

I must have read here a bunch of times here on BA nothing bad for you can live in beer above a certain percent. So why wouldn't something with a really high percent like vodka kill off anything you wouldn't want in your beer?
  29. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Not quite accurate. Here's a thread with a chemistry/mechanical breakdown of the vacu-vin that I created:

Common Misconceptions about Vacu-Vin - don't use one for beer.

It actually doesn't pull a noticeable amount of CO2 out of suspension compared to simply using a cork, but the mechanical check-valve nature of the stopper is what kills you. See the last post I made before the thread got locked down...
  30. SFACRKnight

I'm talking about starsan. Breweries use starsan or similar products to sanitize their brewing equipment, since you don't condone the use of chemicals you'd better stop drinking beer.
    BrettHead likes this.
  31. Correct, Star San or similar products are the norm. If it's good enough for pro- and home-brewers, its good enough to sterilize anything for the purposes of the subject matter of this thread

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/star-san.html
  32. BlackDragon

Just because a brewery uses it doesn't mean I want to add more of a chemical. I'm not saying Starsan wouldn't work. But if I wanted to use vodka or even Everclear (which is like 90% ABV) why wouldn't one of these work to kill off any bugs or contamination? If no ones knows the answer I think I'll try it and let you guys know how it turns out.
  33. SFACRKnight

As an experienced homebrewer I wish you the best of luck.
    alysmith4 and domtronzero like this.
  34. A small growler style bottle would be the best way. Unfortunately there really isn't a way to save it in the long run. As soon as you open it, time starts ticking.
  35. Centennial

Unfortunately, these just cover the beer bottle and trap oxygen inside. The only way to properly save a bottle or a growler is to purge the oxygen out with co2. I can imagine a lot of people that host tastings would have a great amount of enjoyment of the left overs if they had a bunch of Growler Saver caps.
  36. leedorham

Those growler savers look cool but I don't think they're $50 cool or whatever. I can't wait for all the cheaper chinese versions to come out.
    paintball_LEGEND likes this.
  37. Centennial

Looks like $45 to me including shipping. Ever ship anything across the country, it usually costs $7-$10, so sounds more like $35-38. Those injectors go for $20 at REI, so that makes the cap only $15-18, which is inexpensive. Also have you ever used anything made in China for an extended period of time? You'll have to buy a chinese version every 2 months, and the Growler Saver will have a nice patent infringement claim against anyone selling them in the USA, or anywhere the international patents are filed.
  38. leedorham

I go to the Philippines all the time and you wouldn't believe all the knock off stuff you can get there. Good quality electronics, bags, tools, etc. I'm guessing some of my guys over there could source this sort of stuff and hook me up for pennies on the dollar. I'll see if I can't put a case together and bring them back.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  39. Centennial

That would be so smart and you will have a lot of fun in jail!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324557804578374662587136692.html

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/...lf_anticounterfeiting_groups_latest_crackdown

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/25/alibaba_piracy_crack_down_police

And a word about so called "quality"
    -At a recent golf-industry show, the U.S. working group displayed examples of counterfeit clubheads sawed in half, and you can see the type of irregularities that impact performance: irregular interior walls, or supposedly hollow iron-head cavities that instead are solid steel. Performance is erratic.