Best Way to Save Half a 750ml

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlackDragon, Apr 23, 2013.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'm shaking in my little internet boots.

Franch and BrettHead like this.
  2. Centennial

Centennial Savant (450) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

FYI, if your Joe home brewing, you are aerating your wort in that video.

3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

That is indeed me. Thanks for watching!

Also, I've never been to the Philippines, but I hear the diving is great and I'd love to go sometime.

ShogoKawada and Centennial like this.
  4. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

In the interest of science (courtesy of my food microbiologist down the hall) and give some info to fellow home brewers, I will drop the microbiology on ya. Technically, ethanol (or vodka or Everclear) isn’t approved for food contact sanitation (I think it is somewhere in CFR 21), but I don’t suppose the FDA will be stopping by the house anytime soon…

Alcohols in general react quickly with proteins, especially at higher alcohol concentrations. Because the alcohol reacts with proteins immediately (especially ethanol), it never penetrates the cell and doesn't kill the organisms. Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) is better as a disinfectant, but isopropyl will leave an off flavor and is bad to drink, m'Kay? While generally speaking (maybe) nothing bad for you can live in beer, sanitation addresses sources of contamination.The ethanol in the beer wouldn't even touch killing anything on the surface of a bottle. Simplifying a lot - things that can grow will grow fast and they can produce off flavors. No - granted it probably won't kill somebody or even make them sick, but certainly could taste terrible damned quickly. Maybe most times for a short duration nothing happens, but we're talking about why alcohol isn't acceptable as a sanitizer - not whether you can get away with it.

Now - vodka at 80 proof is only 40% alcohol and won’t kill even after +/- 5 min contact. Therefore, beer (way less than 40%) won't "sanitize" the bottle you are putting it into.

Basically vodka won't really work, Everclear might work, but you can't rely on either to be completely effective sanitizing a surface. Especially since there are other contaminants (like residual beer supporting mold/bacteria growth or just airborne microorganisms) on the surface. Overnight in the fridge (maybe even on the table) - yeah, you can probably get away with it. Longer than that, the risk goes up.

You know, just seems it is a whole lot easier stuffing a wine stopper or some such in the bottle.

alysmith4 likes this.
  5. Always finish.

6. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

newsflash there are "chemicals" in vodka. We are surrounded by "chemicals", and it's a good thing...

Are you afraid of water? I mean it is a "evil" chemical. Oh no! :rolleyes: