1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best way to save/preserve opened beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by willpedalforbeer, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a bad habit of opening a good beer and not wanting to finish it. I was gonna go with a wine stopper and pump but beer is carbonated like champagne. So I was thinking about a champagne stopper and also use argon/nitrogen gas. Does anyone have a preferred way of saving a beer(bottle) for 24-48hrs?

2. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

In the past, if its a big stout or barleywine, I have just put on a rubber stopper and put it back in the fridge. Good for even 48-72 hours (looking at you Parabola).

3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

4. Jeffries55

Jeffries55 Savant (395) Ohio Sep 5, 2013

In my belly.

A good beer you say? If it's good, then why isn't it in your belly? As LeRose pointed out, probably my favorite response from that thread was don't open it if you don't plan on a)sharing it, or b) finishing it.

A friend and I once consumed 3 12 oz bottles (Mojo Risin, Double Trouble, and some other DIPA), and for some reason thought it was a good idea to open another 3 bombers of DIPAs (Ruinten, Apocalypse Cow among the other two i don't recall)... needless to say that night and the next morning were a little hazy, but all of the beer was consumed!

5. Jeffries55

Jeffries55 Savant (395) Ohio Sep 5, 2013

Not manly, just planning ahead. If I happen to open a beer and it doesn't get finished, I'll drain pour it the next day. I've re-capped beers with a new cap, used the wine preserver, and numerous other things, but really once you open it, it doesn't last... and even with these methods, it still is not the same a day later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.