1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best way to store a Westy?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Belgianbeerbunny, Feb 28, 2013.

1. I just received a shipment of Westvletern XII and want to make sure I'm storing them correctly. Any tips?

2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

Cool, dark, minimal temperature swings.

3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Imagine you are a monk in a Belgian monastery... now imagine you have a case of beer and you want to store it somewhere... and now imagine you are walking down the stairs in this monastery...down...down... it's getting cooler, darker... you would need a light jacket if you were to stay down here in this room for long...yes, there, that's it.

a16ert, kemoarps, UCLABrewN84 and 3 others like this.
  4. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

store it upright. Out of the light. Cool area ~50*. How long are you looking to cellar for?

5. It's hard not to want to drink it all immediately, but I keep hearing that I need to store it for several weeks, preferably months or years before I drink it. I don't know if I have that much willpower.

6. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Storing it for several weeks will taste no different than drinking it right away. You need years if you really want to see any changes.

gzaIPArza and GRG1313 like this.
  7. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

Prh27 is right on. This is a beer you should really drink fresh to determine a baseline; to understand and see what the brewers want you to taste. Then you can decide if you want to experiment, age it, or not. First, you may really like it as released; as the brewers intended you to have it - it is strong, very "whiskey-ish" and just quite delicious.

Aging it is no guaranty that you'll get a good bottle. And, even if you do, every aged bottle really tastes differently. I have tried several different years and I've even opened (with a couple of other BAs) a very old aged bottle live on a radio show about aging beer. I'd have to conclude just about every bottle was different, even if from the same original crate. I've tried about a dozen different bottles from 2003 and about the same from 2007. Each one was a bit different; and, there were even extremes among them. For example, one 2003 was slightly carbonated and very rich, sweet and malty with wonderful complex flavors, a bit more intense than when released. Another 2003 from the same crate and stored the same way was thin, watery and just plain bad. The other bottles ranged "in between."

I'm not the standard by which anyone should make a decision, I can only give you my opinion, based on my experiences. I remain of the opinion that nothing should be aged that you don't taste fresh. Moreover, you are gambling on any beer you age as there are great vagaries in the process.

Drink it fresh; then decide what to do with the next one. JMO

7clutch likes this.