1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Website to Purchase Rare Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dwagner003, Jan 5, 2013.

1. To be fair, I wouldn't know - I'm not much of a trader sadly :p

2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

When did the craft beer hobby begin to involve the word "collection"?

Cellaring is nice and all, but its beginning to get ridiculous....

3. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

That's coz the link is www.walez.bro

brother_kenneth, Nectar and ArrogantB like this.
  4. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

One week on the site and even Nectar knows this is a ridiculous concept!

Nectar likes this.
  5. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Doesnt take a genius!

dianimal likes this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

PTE isn't rare or particularly hard to get. I was thinking your looking for a Rare or something similar.

7. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (285) New York Feb 15, 2008

Sign up for the Bine and Vine newsletter (old south bay drugs) - If Joey is still doing things the way he used to, you can get a shot at some of the San Diego limited brews this way - got one of my DDG's buying online with him. Have not purchased with him in a while, but he is a good dude and always worked in a fair way with the beers he has for sale.

8. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Not sure I agree. I have been a fisherman for about 30 years and I want more people to enjoy the passion so I would have no problem letting people know. That being said, I don't know of any sites that have rare beers but if I did, I would be willing to share the info. People are simply too uptight. Share the love cuz karma is great!

VonZipper likes this.
  9. Yeah I guess I'm just selfish like that.
    But don't get me totally wrong; I would still give them good info - just not my best spot on a lake (that may have taken me years to find on my own!).

I respect your opinion though ~

10. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I hear u.

11. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Holy crap at the beer prices at mybeercellar!

12. Figure out some highly sought after beers that are within driving distance of you, plan to drive there on your day off, purchase as much as you can, then make some nice trades.

I recently made a 10 hour, 500 mile trip to the Alchemist and bought 4 cases of heady, 2.5 were for myself. Drank a case, traded the other 1.5 and I ended up with some beers that I never thought I'd ever see in person, never mind own.

If you really want to experience the top beers, a day/weekend trip is 100% worth it.

13. Hm. Suppose I hit a real nerve, here. Like I said, I'm new to the whole beer appreciation world. So, thanks to the people who actually offered helpful advice.. The rest of you are kinda douchey, to be honest.

Mitchell57 and ElderPuma like this.
  14. Honesty is appreciated here and unfortunately you received honesty with a strong does of sarcasm...

Positives to take away from this, you live in a geographic paradise for craft beer. Chat up your local bottle shop owners/managers when ya can. Diversify where you purchase. I live in CT and the only reason I am even privileged to get access to limited releases in my state... I shoot the shit once or twice a month with my local shop owners.

Brush some of the bs you got in this thread off your shoulders. This is a great community of people on here, stick around and you will see. You ever need any beers from the East coast, don't hesitate to Beer Mail me.

Mersh, ThreeFishes and dianimal like this.
  15. +1 to the sentiment of not taking it personally. As you said, you are new and want access to the best as soon as possible; it makes sense to ask bout it in forum where many have gained access to those desirable beers. On the other hand, the people with the crazy cellars who made this place famous did so through a ton of hard work and research.

There really is enough info on this site to figure it out without asking, and I think those giving you grief are doing so in part due to this fact. The other thing people take issue with is the attitude of snapping up "rare" beer asap without learning to be an advocate first. Many of those who are giving you crap are more active on every other forum than the trading one- their interest is in rarity and novelty, but only AFTER advocacy. When guys who are in it for the love of the craft see people new to the game rying to get in a few days bottles that took them months to hear about and subsequently find, it sticks in their craw.

All that said, welcome to the fold. Since you are in so Cal you should start by hunting down some Pliny and go from there. Go slow and appreciate what's around before going after wales.

16. Something does indeed feel wrong about keeping beer for the purpose of keeping it...

utopiajane and VonZipper like this.
  17. accordselux

accordselux Savant (290) Minnesota Nov 26, 2007

The OP has a point that I support though.

Trading is a marketplace: values are assigned to beers.

There has to be a marketplace, where, without scorn, similar values are placed on beer in the form of cash. If I want a beer, I don't always want to go to x release to get some to hope to trade for y beer through another party.

I'd save the time, effort, and gas money and just buy the rare beer outright.

I have not and still do not see a problem with that concept. People may whine about it compared to some BA utopia where everyone gets Wooden Hell through trading up, but sometimes what you want is what you want, and you are willing to pay a price (whether that be beer or straight cash) to get it.

I'm honestly sad eBay went away because it was always an option.

ElderPuma and dwagner003 like this.
  18. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

Here's how I started, when, like you, I knew "nothing". I took my wife to a release of a local brewery here in San Diego where each person could get 4 bottles. Therefore I had 8, well 7, cause I kept one, to offer for trade here. I had no problem lining up trades for stuff I wanted to try. In hind site I realize I "gave" some of the bottles away for what I got in return, but that's the learning curve. One trade led to another, and now I am hopelessly addicted, broke, lonely and homeless. Good luck.
    Oh, and sarcasm comes with the hobby.

ThreeFishes and gcamparone like this.
  19. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I agree with the sentiment here. As I mentioned in a previous post, take advantage of business trips, vacations, etc. to visit some breweries and local bottle shops, try out some good stuff and bring home some bottles that can't be gotten locally. Aka beer trips. That way you can do some trades for some of the harder to obtain local distro stuff- it shouldn't take much to get single bottles of different 'rare walez' for you to try. For instance, I just did an IP trade recently where I had picked up a few extra bottles of CCB while on vacation in Tampa and bought it back to Wisconsin to trade for some Deschutes and Founders KBS. That was really nice because I wasn't around on BA to know about last year's KBS release and we don't get Deschutes here. Well worth the effort since I was already going to be in the area.

To address the original question- you can get some non-local locals from websites such as France44.com and letspour.com and halftimebeverage.com. I think Halftime still has some BCBS in stock, albeit a good $6-7 above the typical pricing. But for the most part you're not going to be getting bottles of King Henry or Hunahpu online. You should be able to get Pliny's- use that to trade with the rest of us folks who don't have access to fresh Pliny's.

Also, don't go after a particular whale just because its a whale- you might get rather disappointed. Focus for now on the stuff you can get locally, go on a beer trip or sidetrip and get the stuff you can't get locally. Work your palate up- most people don't suddenly start buying cases of BCBS within a few days of joining BA!

20. etregourmet.com

21. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I buy 3F, Cantillon, Westvleteren and other rarer Belgium beers from Etre Gourmet

22. Check my profile for my email address.

23. I agree, this is one of the most important things we do as BA's. I have found many a good trading partner from both "trading down," and being "traded down" to.

to the OP: If you communicate your passion and desire to obtain what bottles are offering FT, and come off as a personable, kind, and generous person then there should be no reason why you shouldn't be able to score some of your rarer wants. Obviously solely being nice and funny isn't gonna get you to a CR haha, but you get what I am saying. Kindess and generosity here goes a long way, and can lead to some very synergistic relationships. Best of luck OP.

huddyball and Mersh like this.
  24. Wise words

DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  25. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (505) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

Go to Toronado SD. Get to know the bartender.

26. Hah, this thread is so old. I'm good.

27. "I don't give a fuck if it's any good, how many bottles were produced? FOUR HUNDRED!? GIMME GIMME GIMME! ISO! GIMME!"

Powderhornphil likes this.
  28. Back in the day (oh, about 2 years ago) it was easy to get some great rarities on EBAY. Westy 12, verticals of Dark Lord, Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente, and so on. Of course you would have to pay dearly for the privilege. Unfortunately, that avenue has been shut down. I think most of those sellers are now dealing privately through email with some of their previous repeat customers. I do know a way to obtain on some vintage Thomas Hardy's online, but that is all I will say. I am enjoying one right now and it must be giving me loose lips :)