1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Wedding Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tnudish, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

My fiancé and I are planning alcohol right now and I mostly have free reign. Thing is, I need beers that are accessible for non-beer enthusiast and beers for craft beer fans. Going to get a couple different kegs, but what do you think would be some safe bets? To clarify, I live in Chicago and see pretty good distro I'd a bunch of different beers.

cfrances33 likes this.
  2. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I have the same situation. Honestly I'd personally try to get a 1/4 keg of BCBS just to get people to try it. My reasoning being, if my fiancée can't stand beer in general but loves drinking BCBS.. people ought to appreciate it along with the sea salt and caramel apple wedding cake we're getting (incidentally, the baker lives/works out of New Glarus, WI) well different strokes for different folks. Being in Wisconsin I'll at the very least have NG Spotted Cow there anyways- that should hold some appeal to the non-craft drinkers.

I'd look at what Goose Island vintage ales they have- might as well go Belgian style to give people something different to try.

3. sellout49

sellout49 Initiate (0) Illinois Aug 21, 2007

I got married in Chicago and was planning on just getting one "special" keg. We ended up getting a full keg of Guinness (her family is 100% irish) and I asked the bar what other kegs I could choose from.... they didn't have much of a selection, but they did give me the option for Matilda. It was a big hit.

4. Billolick

Billolick Champion (800) New York Dec 20, 2003

Fresh Hennepin is so tasty and goes so well with so many various foods, I'd consider it...Stone IPA also comes to mind....

jgluck likes this.
  5. Harpoon IPA, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager, New Belgium Fat Tire
    All pretty widely distributed. BMC drinkers will find a favorite amongst them.
    Or just buy you and your girl's joint favorite beer and screw everyone else. Hell it's your wedding.

6. I'd try for 2-3 (depending on how many people are coming) simi-sessionable brews with one ass kicker (b-wine, stout, IPA imperial, ect...)

7. When are you getting married? The season may give you some better opportunities than others. For instance, I got married in the fall so Oktoberfests were a great choice. Also good ABV for your money. Gets people dancin!

8. hornsup

hornsup Savant (335) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

We had Yuengling, Bud Light, Boston Lager, Sam Adams Oktoberfest and a few cases of DFH punkin for the people I told we had good beer. We got married at a winery too so we had the cabernet sauvignon, merlot, vintage reserve, rose', chardonney, and pinot grigio as well. It worked out well for everyone until my drunk ass friends spilled merlot all over my wife's $2,000 wedding dress and then we got a divorce.

Just kidding we didnt get a divorce, but she wasnt happy with the entire situation regardless. :)

9. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I'd go for a half barrel of Bud Light, a half barrel of something akin to All Day IPA and a log of something Wesley Snipes dark.

Titans77 likes this.
  10. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Gumballhead
    BCS Sixtel
    Trade someone in Belgium for a few Lambic in a Bag

You (hopefully) only get married once.

Cheers!

dvelcich likes this.
  11. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

I would be happy to contribute anything I have in order for you to complete your dream, a full Bruery lineup with extra bottles of Mother Funker and Black Tuesday. Let's make it happen.

#YOLO

radium, Dagsy, MisterGrizz and 5 others like this.
  12. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (350) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I just got married in Indy in September and we had a keg of Sun King Osiris Pale plus some Sunlight Cream Ale and Miller High Life. Having local beers was a hit, we also had great pint glasses with a custom "wedding logo" that my buddy designed for our party favors. I'd go with some Chicago beers, maybe Daisy Cutter and 312 or Gossamer or something accessible.

dvelcich and Soonami like this.
  13. GBGrinnell

GBGrinnell Zealot (95) Minnesota May 2, 2011

WoodburyMN likes this.
  14. I'll remember you for my wedding ;)

15. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I'm brewing a chocolate porter, all-citra pale ale and a hard cider for my wedding next year. Hoping that will give a nice option for everyone.

16. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I had the following kegs at my wedding:

- Homebrewed baltic porter (?) - 5 gal
    - Homebrewed hefeweizen - 5 gal
    - Speakeasy Prohibition Ale - 15.5 gal

The first two got mostly finished, along with some hard liquor. I had 90+% of the Speakeasy left. A complete waste of a keg.

Lesson learned: don't go with anything particularly challenging to drink for the layman. Stop thinking like a beer geek (MUST LOVE LAMBIC, DIPA, and BA RIS) and go with something accessible like a hef, pils, or porter.

I suppose I should also mention that I paid for unlimited corkage, so the beer geeks brought in stuff like 3L Eclipse, Blabaer, Bad Boy, Dusk Till Dawn, etc...

pixieskid likes this.
  17. hornsup

hornsup Savant (335) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

agreed, just take into count that most people that like beer will like an "amped" up version of what they normally drink and they will drink it until they are unconcious. Same token, people dont want "beer geek" styles such as barleywines and RIS's

18. We had Firestone Walker DBA and Pale 31 on tap at my wedding

19. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Beer for a wedding is tough, it will be hard to find one style that will please everyone.

On that note, the last wedding I was at had home brews as the party favor. Nice touch, might be something to consider. Maybe even message a brewery and have them cook you up and bottle a special custom batch just for your wedding. Maybe they'd like the opportunity. I actually know one of the guys behind Pipeworks if you want to get in touch.

20. I went to a wedding in Ithaca, NY that featured all Ithaca beers. I personally loved it, but the rest of the crowd seemed to shy away.

Go with the classics. Sam, Sierra, Harpoon, Yuengling, etc.

21. Honkers, SNPA, Sam Adams Boston Ale.

22. arambler

arambler Aficionado (105) Illinois Feb 10, 2011

I am getting married in the Chicago area in November and although getting the venue to purchase a keg was prohibitively expensive (like 250% markup -or- or a $250 1/6 keg of GI), they are allowing me to bring 2 24 count cases in with no fee. I am bringing a case of zombie dust and a mixed case of New Glarrus sours, GI three sisters, and sours. Some for the wedding party, the fruity stuff for the fiance, and the sours for me. Not ideal, but better than getting gouged.

23. t4haughton

t4haughton Zealot (95) Illinois Jan 24, 2013

I'm a photographer in the Chicago area, and I always get excited when I book a wedding in Wisconsin because I know there will be New Glarus.

I should offer a discount for couples with good beer. And double discount if there is BCBS!

jgluck and mecummins like this.
  24. We had a 1/2 keg of hop devil and a 1/2 keg of stoudts weizen. It was hot and beer was loved by all. 16 + years later and I still love the hop devil. 1/2 keg of yuengling lager for the after wedding party. Overall amazing day and night. Brunch was great the next day as well.

Enjoy the day and have fun it goes really fast. It really is all about the two of you.

Enjoy

pixieskid likes this.
  25. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Just got married a few weeks ago. One of the biggest concerns my wife and I had was that we didn't want vendors/caterers/venues telling us what we can and can not do. So, we rented a beach house in Florida and had the rehearsal dinner and ceremony in the yard of the beach house. I will tell you that even the non "beer people" really enjoyed the beer.

We killed the following in two days (pretty much killed the back up keg during the Superbowl, which was the day after the wedding).

CCB Jai Alai 1/6 bbl (apparently everyone loved it, I had 2 10oz pours of it)
    CCB White Cracker 1/6 bbl (for the crowd, it was gone in no time)
    Saint Somewhere Saison Athene 1/6 bbl (for myself and my dad, between the 2 of us we drank a 1/4 of the keg)
    Intuition Jon Boat Kolsch 1/6 bbl (for the crowd, it was gone in no time)
    Mile Marker Coconut Porter 1/6 bbl (surprisingly well received, even though it's a "dark beer")
    Sweetwater 420 1/2 bbl (back up keg)

For some reason the picture I have won't post in here...got a link though.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanBe...3749283.105819.174140509289337&type=1&theater

To the OP: congrats, good luck, remember when you can to stop and have fun,you only do this once...

26. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Why not condict a beer sample tasting like you would when you 're choosing a wedding cake? Take your fiancée (and a groomsmen or bridesmaid who likes craft) and go to a place like Haymarket or the Bad Apple where they have a great selection of local beers. Get a few flights of local stuff and I'll bet you'll find a winner. If you have a beer menu on the bar at the reception, highlighting that the beer is local, I'd bet more guests would be willing to try it.

That being said, my line up would be Revolution's Anti Hero IPA (to appeal to your craft friends), Bells Oberion (assessable & easy to drink) and whatever you like from Goose Island (even your non craft guests will drink this and feel special.) If Lagunitas has their brewery up and running by the time you get married, just about anything from them would work too (my vote would be for Little Sumpin Sumpin.)

t4haughton likes this.
  27. Bells Wedding Ale

28. Hell Hath No Fury. Because you'll know the feeling sooner or later.

DStoked likes this.
  29. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Grab a keg of Gumballhead or ZD, and some pils/hefe, maybe spotted cow even.

Cheers on the wedding!

jgluck likes this.
  30. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I can tell you that we're planning our wedding right now and I'm getting a 1/2bbl Austin Beerworks Pearl Snap Pils & Live Oak Hefeweizen.

Low ABV & delicious. Styles that the layman likes.

We'll be having a bottle share at the wedding party's table with all the crazy shit. ;) (And believe me, my cellar has a LOT of 'oh, I'm saving this for the wedding!' bottles... I'll have to stop using that excuse in June. :) )

31. I sneak beer into weddings. I consider them BYOB when it comes to good beer.

32. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

When I went to TravMI13 wedding, he had Founders Porter and Founders Pale Ale..I thought those were absolutely perfect for everyone..I also agree with anyone who says a Hefe too.(my preference of course is Frankenmuth)

33. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Last summer one of my beer making friends got married and several people created a beer recipe and they had homebrew.

34. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Daisy Cutter seems like a solid choice being in Chicago.

35. krouge

krouge Aficionado (145) Thailand Dec 22, 2006

Went through that last year. Wound up going with only two types of beer: Schneider Unserer Original in half litre bottles and Heineken on draft. The reason for the Heinekin was that the average person perceives it to be a quality product and on tap it's inoffensive. And the reason for the Schneider was that I like it. Also had wine though, and that seemed to be what most people preferred to drink.

36. At my wedding we went with Two Hearted, Black Butte and SA Boston Lager and all of them were well received. We also had leine's and were surprised to see that was the only one that didn't kick.

37. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

If you want people to drink, remember that 95% of them don't drink craft. At my wedding we had a keg of Great Lakes Burning River, a keg of Bud Light, and a keg of my homebrewed IPA. Everyone was happy.

38. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

this is what i'm trying to work out for my wedding in 2014. the kegs/wine/etc should work themselves out, but i want to make sure my friends can all bring in some bottles for the occasion.

39. Still a few years away from my wedding. I still think about this often. Often think ill get some kind of Lambic, an ipa, and definitely some kind of big stout. Ideally, I'd love to have a bottle of Black Tuesday or something else of that nature (big, limited stout; you know, something special) to split amongst me and the best man.

40. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Try looking for local stuff first. I know they aren't really local, or craft, any more, but both 312 and Honker's would be accessible brews to wedding guests in Chicago. If you know of some locally brewed equivalents, then they make a good substitute. For my Philly wedding, my lineup was:

Phila. Brewing Co. Kenzinger. It's a light, Kolsch-style beer slightly more hopped than a traditional Kolsch. Made for a good substitute for your typical BMC light lager.

Yards ESA. A good quality English-style extra special bitter, I feel it pairs well with appetizers, and is accessible to people who are used to Yuengling Lager or Sam Adams.

Yards IPA. An excellent single IPA, moderate hoppiness. Good for people who like IPAs, or are familiar with Sierra Nevada. I would stay away from anything too hoppy.

Victory Storm King. Had to have a stout, and it's the best local one.

Founders Backwoods Bastard. Not local, but it's my wife's favorite beer and at the very top of my list as well, so this was a must.

So, my advice would be to pick things that are accessible to people. The good thing about sticking with well-known local craft breweries is that people will likely have heard of it, and not be completely turned off by the fact that there are no BMC products. Judging by the fact that we went through at least a case of everything except the Storm King, I think it was a successful balance.

Don't hesitate to bring in a small amount of a craft spcialty like BCBS - more people will drink it than you think. However, make sure it is served in VERY small pours. Keep in mind that people who are unfamiliar with craft beer won't recognize that downing a pint of BCBS in 5 or 10 minutes will literally knock them out. We wanted to serve a tripel, but figured that people wouldn't recognize the alcohol content and might not handle it well.