1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Wedding Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tnudish, Feb 22, 2013.

1. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Thankfully our wedding is at an art museum that allows us to bring whatever we want.

So far we have -

1/6 barrel homebrew Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe pale ale
    1/6 barrel homebrew hoppy brown ale
    3L RR Supplication
    a bunch of other fancy bottles

Still trying to decide on some more pedestrian offerings, but if they don't like the beer they can hit up the hard stuff. I would like to include a stout or porter of some kind as well.

This thread helps.
  2. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

got married in central IL and had Sierra Nevada pale, GI honkers, 312, & IPA...then the normal offerings the hotel had...bud, miller, corona, & fat tire.

Most people drink hard liquor at weddings or wine, so I wouldn't go too overboard.
    dvelcich likes this.
  3. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Foreshadow the rest of your life and get Raging Bitch.
    dortenzio1991 likes this.
  4. PHKrames

PHKrames Aficionado (215) Illinois Sep 14, 2011

Since you are in Chicago there are so many Binny's and other liquor stores that will give you the option of getting some good stuff, you just have to ask. IMO you can't go wrong with Matilda. Everyone likes Oberon. You could also do something like Ebel Weiss. You should think more about your guest because you'll be so damn busy, by the end of the wedding, you won't care what it is you'll be drinking.
  5. I'm getting married in Cooperstown this summer. We thought about getting married at Brewery Ommegang, but the cafe didnt seat enough people, and it was too much to rent a tent.

In the end we decided on the Otesaga hotel right on the lake. I was able to convince the wedding planer to bring in Ommegang Hennepin and Rare Vos. I would have liked to have the entire Ommegang lineup, but this should do just fine.
  6. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I'm with the people mentioning 312. Brenna and I had our wedding in our backyard, so we had to plan everything ourselves. We decided on a quarter barrel of GI 312, a quarter of GI IPA, a half of Bud, and two halves of Bud Light. The 312 went first (after about two hours), then the IPA, then one of the Bud Lights, and at the end of the night, we were left with about a half keg of Bud and a half a keg of Bud Light.

The moral is we underestimated the draw of the GI beers and could have doubled up on at least the 312 and probably dropped one of the Bud Lights as that seemed to be the go-to after the good stuff was gone.
  7. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Revolution would be an idea--- Anti-Hero for hopheads, Cross of Gold for light beer drinkers, Bottom up wit for folks who like Blue Moon, Eugene Porter to pair with dessert
  8. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

You also served Rare at your wedding and had a full on WWF wrestling match towards the end. These are the things weddings should be made of.
    dvelcich likes this.
  9. 12 years ago, we had a half bbl of Anchor Liberty. It was GONE!

I would advise: it's your wedding too. get at least a little something YOU want/like. If nothing else, it may be the last time you can pass something through the budget without a 'conversation'. If noone else likes it, you can dump any leftovers into growlers and savor the flavor for weeks to come.
  10. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

The best part is that people probably think you're exaggerating.
  11. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

I'm getting married this summer. At the reception I plan on having quarter barrels of New Glarus Totally Naked and Moon Man. If I could find a source for Gumball head or other 3 floyds, I'd add another keg. Haven't had luck with that though. Doing some other cool things. Have VIP bottles of Makers with our name and date on it, some fancy margarita gele with seasalt foam, random wine/champagne, and a big thing of punch. I really hope our guests are thirsty.
  12. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (375) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

How were you able to get Backwoods Bastard!!?? I am planning my wedding in September and am having the same concerns with Beer list
  13. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

I did a family party last year with a sixtel of Daisy Cutter and an quarter of Spotted Cow. Both beers were well received by all who were drinking beer.
  14. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

It was surprisingly easy. In August I emailed a half dozen or so of the best distributors in the area and asked them if they could secure 2-3 cases of it. One of them replied back that he could get it, and sure enough, he did. Still have a case of it in my basement. The timing worked out perfectly that I was asking for it probably earlier than people typically start requesting it, and its release date was a month before the wedding.
  15. Sgorzynski

Sgorzynski Aficionado (135) Maine Jul 23, 2009

I'm planning on:
    Ommegang Witte or Hennepin
    Dogfish Head Festina Peche
    Weihenstephan Hefe
    Stone IPA or Ruination

Couple cases of each.