1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best West Coast IPA?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by AxesandAnchors, Dec 23, 2012.

1. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

With so many IPA's on the market these days I find myself disappointed more often than happy. Excluding the ones I mention (if you like them just like this post instead) tell me some IPA's that you feel are the best of the best. Lets keep it to west coast, or west coast distributed beers only. It's not that I have something against other regions, I don't, I just can't get my hands on them before they start loosing their magic. These are a few of my favorites;

Russian River - Pliny The Younger (don't bother mentioning The Elder)
    Firestone Walker - Double Jack
    AleSmith - IPA
    Midnight Sun - Cohoho
  2. This will end well
    beerme411, Rau71, luwak and 8 others like this.
  3. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

Kern river citra.
    cavedave likes this.
  4. AxesandAnchors

Hoping for recommendations rather than a debate.
    mrhartounian likes this.
  5. My favorite are the following
    Pliny the younger
    Firestone double jack
    Alesmith IPA
    midnight sun cohoho

I'm not even going to talk about the elder though
    Casedogg43 and GrizzWranglin like this.
  6. Enjoy By
    Ruination 10th Anniversary
    Dorado
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  7. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

West Coast IPA
    TurdFurgison likes this.
  8. AxesandAnchors

From who?
  9. I

Why can't we mention Pliny the Elder?
  10. Blind Pig
    Union Jack

Since you apparently have no interest in keeping it to IPAs that are actually easy to find - Alpine Nelson.
    banger1228, match1112 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  11. AxesandAnchors

Pliny The Younger is the only one that isn't readily available in my market (Portland).
  12. Really?
    beerme411, notfaded1 and jaxon53 like this.
  13. West Coast of Canada , I'll give ya two , that score a 94
    Driftwood's 'Fat Tug' & Central City 'Red Racer IPA" comes in the green can
    NWer, dirtylou and Smurf2055 like this.
  14. Smurf2055

Green Flash's single IPA. Their Imperial is really good too
    Popp24 and dianimal like this.
  15. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Try Knee Deep's Simtra :)
  16. AxesandAnchors

I don't think mentioning Pliny the Elder helps anybody else, it's widely regarded as one of the best IPA's...no need to beat it over the head . Personally, I prefer The Younger.
  17. I'm throwing Lagunitas Sucks into the ring. That's definitely up there.
    IPAStammer, Pelican5, Popp24 and 2 others like this.
  18. AxesandAnchors

19. You would have been better served if you had posted this in the Northwest forum. Your compatriots will know better what's distributed in PDX.

Take two Boneyard RPM IPAs and two Boneyard Hop Venoms DIPAs and call me in the morning. All will be well.
  20. AxesandAnchors

I walked right past this at the bottle shop today. It seems like the reviews are a bit mixed as far as this having either a very citrus flavor or being a little more malty. Is this on the sweeter side for an IPA?
  21. No , and the Imperial is ok/good from what I've heard
    I'm also not a big fan of IPA's , just mentioned two I've tried
    and most people love both or rate as great , awesome ....
  22. It's definitely sweet, but that's not to say it doesn't have it's strong hop bitterness. Best way I can describe it is a predominant ruby red grapefruit flavor.
  23. AxesandAnchors

Yep, you're right didn't think to put it in the regional section. Also, Boneyard Hop Venom, I totally forgot about this one! I've only had it on tap a couple times, but it is a very tasty IPA
  24. AxesandAnchors

Thanks for the info. I'm not a huge IPA drinker either, although I appreciate them when they're done well. It's just getting ridiculous sifting through all the mediocre ones these days to find a good one.
  25. AxesandAnchors

I haven't seen any Green Flash stuff on the shelf in Portland yet, I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks.
  26. Smurf2055

+1 to this, Fat Tug is amazing
    luwak and 2beerdogs like this.
  27. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

Knuckle Sandwich and anything from Alpine.
  28. ste5venla

ste5venla Savant (370) California Oct 25, 2010

Some that haven't been mentioned are Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Ballast Point Sculpin, Pike Double Dry Hop Double IPA, and Gigantic Dynomite Double IPA.
  29. dmoser

dmoser Aficionado (140) California Sep 11, 2009

drinkin one now. a friend of mine who had never tried it described it as a thicker, stronger KRBC Just Outstanding. Then brought home a JO a few days later and sure enough, similar profile.

Best of the West?
    KRBC JO will always be a favorite, as well as FW UJ which is what I drink mostly, RR PtE is always a treat, Lagunitas IPA (seriously, I haven't tired of that flavor yet) and Sucks, Drakes Aroma Coma, Sierra Nevada Torpedo was the best beer I had ever tasted one night while taking psylocybin in a first amendment religious freedom kind of way, knee deep simtra tastes pretty f'ing good right now, stone makes some fantastic imperials, green flash can't go wrong there, homebrews locally from people have probably made me say wow more that commercial brews. well maybe not, but it's close.
  30. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

which shelves are you looking on?
  31. Airyk12

Airyk12 Aficionado (155) Oregon Jan 1, 2011

Falconer from widmer is really solid when fresh, as is terminal gravity IPA. Deschutes bond street stuff is great too. Elysian's avatar jasmine IPA as well as their new ipa rotation are solid.
  32. Living on the east coast I don't get a chance to try to many west coast IPA'S. The ones I've tried are pretty damn good.( sculpin, racer 5, hopstoopid, union jack). But I think here in the east we have our fair share of great IPA'S also (HT, maine beer co. lunch, and anything from HF and Lawsons). East vs West IPA'S would be a great thread!
  33. pbs76

pbs76 Aspirant (35) Washington Nov 24, 2012

Boneyard owns the West Coast IPA racket, imo. RPM is out of this world and really can't be touched in the single IPA department. I'd say right behind that is Sculpin, Blind Pig, and Union Jack. For doubles, Hop Venom, FW Double Jack, Stone's Ruination, and Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot stand at the top of my list. We did really enjoy the Shipwrecked DIPA from Mission Brewing while down in San Diego. Of course, everything that Lagunitas touches in the IPA dept is pure gold. All the following beers from them seem to be a derivative of IPA to me: Sucks, Brown Shugga, Sumpin' Sumpin', Sumpin' Wild, and Hop Stoopid are all incredibly good and widely available in the PDX.
  34. Alpine Duet. Sclupin is a close second. Stone IPA is a wonderful beer that rarely gets love on here, I think its "too available".
    banger1228 likes this.
  35. Flying Fish Exit 16
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  36. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

That's a hop profile I can get with...surprised I haven't seen a brewer go with a Ruby Red IPA in reference to this profile, not the addition of grapefruit.
  37. Why not, because it's better than Younger? ;)
    sbuysse likes this.
  38. Singles: Sculpin and Blind Pig
    Double: Pliny the Elder, Kern River 5th Anniv, Alpine Bad Boy, Stone Enjoy By, and Sucks.
  39. FW Union Jack when fresh. The perfect IPA for me.
    Pelican5 and ThisWangsChung like this.
  40. paulytasker

paulytasker Savant (335) New York May 16, 2012

Agreed.... when Union Jack is fresh, for the price, is tough to beat IMO, one of my go to I.P.A.s'.
    Pelican5 likes this.