1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best West Coast IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AxesandAnchors, Dec 23, 2012.

1. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Belmont, Saraveza, John's Market, Bailey's, Whole Foods, but I wasn't saying that we don't have it (I see they distribute in Oregon) I've just never taken notice of anything from them. I don't buy packs though, only bombers, 750's, and the occasional 12oz. when they don't offer a larger format. So this may be why I'm missing them. Any place in particular have a better selection of Green Flash than others?

2. On here for a month and he's already too good for Pliny the Elder. Love it.

Rau71 and spicelab like this.
  3. Then read reviews. Forums should be about debate and discussion.

denver10 likes this.
  4. AxesandAnchors

No sense arguing over The Pliny's, what else do you like?

5. AxesandAnchors

How long one has been a member has nothing to do with how much one is into craft beer. Furthermore I never said I was too good for it, it just doesn't do anyone any good to mention because if you live on the West coast, are into craft beer, and drink IPA's you already know Pliny The Elder. The idea was to get suggestions, not debate with each other. There are plenty of threads that do that.

6. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

A few days ago Beermongers had Palate Wrecker. That would definitely be worth checking out!

7. AxesandAnchors

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it!

8. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Why not The Elder?

My favorites are Nelson, PtE, PtY, Ruination 10th, Blue Dot, Cowiche Canyon fresh hops

SatlyMalty likes this.
  9. Schmaltzy

Schmaltzy Savant (275) California Oct 13, 2009

dipa: alpine bad boy, Societe everymans ipa
    IPA: any Societe or alpine ipa

10. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Ballast Point Sculpin
    Hangar 24 Double IPA
    Stone Ruination
    Drakes Aroma Coma

11. AxesandAnchors

Already covered the Pliny topic.

I love Hair of the Dog, their vintage Fred and Adam list always gets me though. I can never seem to pass it up. I also love Doggie Claws. I guess I need to give Blue Dot a fair shake. Thanks for the suggestions.

12. esullivan880

esullivan880 Aficionado (165) Apr 26, 2012

Enjoy by was a womderful treat and is side by side with alesmith for me.

13. Seriously, though, I second FW Union Jack. Probably the best pine-forward IPA I've had.

14. AxesandAnchors

AleSmith IPA has been my go to when I'm feeling like an IPA (and don't want to risk a bad bottle). It always seems to be consistent, fresh, and well rounded.

Pelican5 likes this.
  15. lxCheshireCatxl

lxCheshireCatxl Zealot (80) Texas Jan 26, 2011

Have you had the Stone IPA or the Ruination? I think they are pretty tasty.
    Or even the Lagunita Hop Stoopid. Not considered a IPA but its golden yet strong and bitter and they also put as many different hops as they could.

16. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Excluding PtE:

Alpine Nelson
    Ballast Point Sculpin
    Stone Enjoy by 12/21/12

I "forget" about Alesmith sometimes, and I agree, their IPA is a really solid representation of the West Coast style. I had a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA for the first time last week, and frankly, really disliked it.

17. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

+1 to Sculpin. Was fortunate enough to go on a tour of BP a gew weeks ago.

18. Amerikon

Amerikon Savant (285) California Apr 17, 2008

I know I'm not the first to mention it, but certainly Green Flash's West Coast IPA is one you want to get. They usually come in 4-packs but it would be a pretty big mistake to pass it up just because it's not in a 22oz bottle. To that I'll add that Ballast Point's Dorado DIPA. I'll take it over Sculpin any day especially since they don't charge out the ass for it like they do for Sculpin.

I also haven't seen much love for Racer 5 in this thread, which is another favorite of mine.

19. with all the info archived on this site, how can there still be so many questions?

EnronCFO likes this.
  20. grabowr

grabowr Aspirant (40) Georgia Feb 22, 2011

Green Flash's IPA is really good. In fact all of the Green Flash beers I have had (Rayon Vert, the IPA, Double Stout) are excellent except the Le Freak...which is a one time try.

21. BrewLou

BrewLou Disciple (60) New York Dec 29, 2009

Lagunitas Sucks is a favorite, and some Hopstoopid to wash it down.

22. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Oh good, another one of these threads. Fantastic...its like the 4th one started this week and the millionth since BA was launched...have fun duking it out y'all

EnronCFO, mackeyse and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  23. ECalebrews449

ECalebrews449 Savant (355) Nebraska Dec 23, 2012

Green Flash Palate Wrecker is a good one to try, hop aroma that will clear your nasal passages!

24. AxesandAnchors

Ok, Green Flash West Coast IPA it is. I'll definitely pick it up next time. I had Racer 5 last night and it reminded me of Total Domination, which is to say I thought it was just mediocre.
    [​IMG]

25. Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest. The best American IPA, IMO

26. AxesandAnchors

I really don't understand why some people feel like every thread needs to be an argument, why can't we just have a discussion and share some suggestions. Not everybody is going to agree, great that's pretty obvious, but more people are better served by adding to the conversation rather than tossing around snarky comments. It's obvious that only a few of you never intended to add to the conversation, so why post? The rest, the majority, seem quite content with sharing suggestions.

27. Haven't seen Caldera IPA mentioned yet. It's a really good IPA in my opinion. Not saying it's the best, but certainly among a handful that I enjoy way more than most.

Pelican5 likes this.
  28. notfaded1

notfaded1 Zealot (75) Arizona Mar 4, 2009

Good choice on the Green Flash wcipa... U can't go wrong... It's got some of the freshest grapefruityness of ipas!

29. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Union Jack my favorite

Pelican5 likes this.
  30. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

IPA:Blind Pig, Sculpin, Aroma Coma,Torpedo, Racer 5, Cali Sunshine Rye IPA, Alesmith IPA, SN celebration
    DIPA:Racer X, Mongo, Dorado, Hoptimum, PtE, Casey Jones, Alpine Double Nelson

Lots of Cali IPAs to choose from and i love them all.

31. Alpine's Bad Boy
    Pizza Port's Poormans DIPA
    Drake's Hop Salad
    Citra
    Just Outstanding
    Cafe Racer 15
    Simtra (when fresh, Knee Deep dooesn't bottle date)

Dreadnaught, when fresh is equally as good as this and your list, minus Younger...but of course.

Not a big fan of Double Jack...

32. Too diverse of a market so Ill choose only 5.

Pliny the Elder
    Sculpin
    Palate Wrecker
    Lagunitas Sucks
    Blind Pig

Someone needs to send me some Alpine.

33. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Whatever any body else's opinion is, it's wrong.

Brewcycler likes this.
  34. I too would like to join the circle jerk of opinions and simultaneously offer up my own, so that we may engage in some more meaningful discourse.

35. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

There are so many good ones, but the best is Fat Heads Head Hunter.

36. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

Not that anyone seems to care but Ipa and iipa are different styles. Carry on.

37. You're out of control, dude

38. Double Sunshine is the best beer in the world... (Opinion, not stating as fact) So my list starts there. Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy is on it's heels. Apline Nelson.... I saw someone mentioned Blue Dot (Hair of the Dog)... that beer is so awesome and doesn't get enough play in my mind.

Ithaca Flower Power, Sculpin when fresh, Green Flash West Coast... I think that's the top of list for me..

(oh yeah, Knuckle Sandwich) Cheers Man

39. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (780) California Jan 31, 2005

I like Fat Tug!!!

40. i like these
    KR Just Outstanding
    Alpine Duet
    Blind Pig
    Port Wipeout