1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best/Worst Beer Label Removals!!!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GeckoPunk, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

CCB comes off just by hand. Then i scrub off the glue. My only problem with the new cans is that they can't be reused by me
  2. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Worst to get off? Stone.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  3. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

Rogue. Not that I'd want to be reminded of that Pepto pink voodoo beer train wreck anyway.
  4. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I look forward to de-labeling Sierra Nevada and Flying Dog labels. They literally fall off the bottle.

This makes me wonder. Has anyone ever purchased 1 beer over another simply because of ease of label removal?
    pointyskull likes this.
  5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I just tried to clean off a White Oak Jai Alai bottle and I have to second this.
  6. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Affligem labels are a breeze to remove. After a quick soak the labels and the glue comes right off.
  7. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I de-label most Sam Adams by soaking them in warm water.
  8. Three Floyd's bombers labels can be peeled off in one piece after a quick soak in warm water. Ditto for Trader Joe's bargain priced double IPA bomber ($1.99!).
  9. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Interesting, I will have to try the shorts technique.
  10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

no definitely not.
  11. Dogfish is the easiest for me so far. The worst for me has to be Third Street, I just end up recycling them.
  12. No, but I have picked 22oz bombers over 12oz bottles at the beer store since those are the ones I save to bottle with!
  13. Sweetwater labels are a PITA to remove. I just don't bother with those anymore.
  14. Keyman

Keyman Disciple (55) Dec 4, 2012

Amstel was the worst, I got the lable off but the glue I had to remove with gas. The easiest was Lagunitas IPA.
  15. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I think Cigar City big bottles (750's) use a different size cap (I could be wrong, probably am) I always find it difficult to re-cap them and wind up not using them. If this is not the case, let me know, I will start using them again.
  16. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Never noticed anything different about the caps. The Bruery is the one with larger caps.
  17. I was excited to find White Rajah on a recent trip to Ohio, but the labels have been the hardest by far to try and remove for homebrewing. Two 24 hour soaks in Oxyclean and I am still trying to get everything off. WTF do they use to put these things on with?
  18. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

Crooked Stave and HF are amongst the easiest - they're stickers not glued on labels
  19. I'm really surprised Dogfish Head's labels are so hard to get off seeing as how sam had a homebrewing background.

I love the vinyl labels Olde Hickory (in my hometown) uses. No heat, no soaking, nothing, just peel up an edge and you've got a super clean bottle.
  20. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Agreed. I just return or recycle shorts. Not worth the effort.
  21. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

Since I do a lot of brettanomyces beers, I only use Orval empties. Label comes off very easily, and it gives me an excuse to drink gallons of the stuff. :)
  22. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Savant (300) Texas Oct 9, 2012

Petrus always floats off and I usually toss founders because I always have to scrub multiple times...
  23. odells as well come off easily, at the mere idea of becoming wet

24. I second this. There have only been a handful of bottles I couldn't get the labels off with Oxyclean Free.
  25. Silk screened bottles are the worst;) . Second worst is plastic sticker types. Paper with a couple strips of glue are the best.

For the barleywine and baltic porter I bottle up and apply my own labels each year, I usually use SN bottles - soak them in hot pbw solution and let sit overnight, rinse the next day.

For everything else - giving beer to friends and family or bottling to empty a keg, I don't even bother removing the label. Sometimes I will cover the label up with duct tape or paint if its going to a non-regular "customer".
  26. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Savant (300) Texas Oct 9, 2012

I dont know why I didnt think of this before but the type of labels Jester King uses are a nightmare to remove, especially if you want to save the label. Maybe Im doing it wrong? TG's Kombucha labels are the same way.
  27. Guinness bottles! You just cut them right off. Problem is they are 11.2 oz and you have to know someone that drinks a lot of Guinness (luckily I have some in-laws that fit that description).
  28. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

It's been mentioned already, but RR bottles can go to hell. Oxyclean Free, Goo b Gone, boiling water? Fail. F' that glue they use!
    Timmush likes this.
  29. By FAR the EASIEST beer labels to remove are those on Trappist bottles, really. a good soak and they just fall off on their own
  30. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Black Boss porter from Poland are great 16 oz bottles. The labels come right off and the beer is cheap and REALLY good.
    And, if you know anyone that can drink Beck's Saphire, they have super dark bottles (almost black) and the labels come right off.
  31. Jack's Abby labels are so easy it seems almost planned. Plus they are the awesome looking 16.9oz german bottles. Their beer is also a tremendous value at the price point, but back to homebrewing talk.
  32. Troegg's labels are ridiculous to scrape from their bottles! :mad:
  33. Yeah, I haven't found the secret to removing those labels either. If anyone has any of these in their collection I'd be very surprised.

34. They always leave residue though. I always save them because I love the bottles and the size, but after the labels off I find it still takes some scrubbing.
  35. the easiest I've found are Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas, which is nice since I drink a lot of those. just soak in hot water and dishsoap for 15-30 minutes. the SN ones come off easily. I find Lagunitas to be the easiest though, they come off just as easily as SN, but they are thicker so they stay in one piece and dont tear apart.
  36. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (180) New York Aug 3, 2012

OXO Brite or Oxi Clean will melt the glow and remove any kind of label. hot temperature will shorten the process.
    Pick likes this.
  37. DocJae

DocJae Aficionado (110) Michigan Oct 27, 2008

Another one for Shorts labels. An Oxyclean soak, squirt of Goo Gone, and a razor blade scraping and you can STILL feel the residue of glue.
  38. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I disagree with these points but, so what? Topics get recylced all the time because the hobby attracts newbies who want to know. It's a rare topic that is truly original, but I assure you that labels get disucssed somewhat routinely

I haven't needed to remove labels for several years because I have a lot and, plus, I started kegging. When I bottled I reused bottles from commercial beers. Just about every label came off if I immersed the bottle overnight in a bucket full of hot oxyclean. New Glarus labels were among the easiest to remove; they would usually just be floating in the water come the morning. If the label did not come right off, they typically were easily peeled or scraped off after oxy treatment. After the label was gone, some bottles still had some sticky glue residue that could be removed with elbow grease, a scrub brush, and maybe more hot oxyclean. The only labels that stand out in my memory as ornery sons of a gun were from Lake Superior Brewing Company (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/750). I was never able to get these off. I frankly stopped buying their beer in bottles because I couldn't get the label off. Now that I am no longer collecting bottles, maybe I should pick up a 6-pack of Sir Duluth Oatmeal Stout or Lake Superior Special Ale. It's been a while.
  39. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (540) Illinois May 19, 2008

I suspect you're talking about the 12 oz southern tier bottles. I was going to come in here to say that the southern tier bombers were the easiest to remove. You can peel off the sticker with no soak or anything.
  40. What always has worked for me both with the bottles in The Netherlands and here in Ecuador is just to put the bottles in water so the labels are covered in water and leave them like that over night.
    The next morning, most of the labels will be floating around or atleast be so loose you can peel them off with no effort at all.

flying_dutchman.