1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best/Worst Trade Extras

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by raynmoon, Dec 31, 2013.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Extras are. ..well extras....bonuses. but what are your best and worst trade extras from recent passedd?Maybe a saught after beer or a super old ipa. Let it ring.

Lets not throw anybody under the buss... but we can have some fun here.

Blazenation likes this.
  2. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (515) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Think the title should maybe just be best/bestest trade extras. I would never call an extra bad, even if it were a year old IPA. ;)

tviz33, timotao, JavaNoire and 7 others like this.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I can't get Firestone Walker and when I recently got 2 Double Jacks that were about 3 weeks old my eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas morning!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  4. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

First trade I ever did was Heady Topper for Pliny the Elder. The guy threw a bunch of Odell beers in as extras and (dare I say it), I though Odell IPA was maybe a little better than Pliny.

5. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (645) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Best: Velvet Merkin + KBS + NG Wild Sour as extras (with a Proprieters, Backyard, and 4x BCBW as the main trade).

Worst: I included a Florida Beer Swamp Ape as an extra multiple times: a good tick though despite being such an awful beer.

BigGene likes this.
  6. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

I sent someone a box of 10 zombie dust ASAP for a dinner party he was having and he fired me a Firestone Walker 16th Anny.

7. Not me, but a guy I know said he recieved SN Celebration as an extra. ...... good beer, but it can easily be bought anywhere when it is released.

8. Best extra I ever got was a dirtwolf.

9. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

Best I ever got: Heady Topper, Cantillon Lambic Bio
    Best I ever gave: BCBCS (guy said he'd never had it and wasn't able to get any, so I tossed one it)

Worst: I'm not doing this one. I'm always happy for extras, especially when they're locals I haven't had and I've never been dicked over with a 2 year old single IPA or some crap, so I'd say I've never had a bad extra.

10. Deschutes Hop Henge was a great extra

Golferallen54 likes this.
  11. BA Old Viscosity. Awesome

12. Received: Heady. Given: Crooked Stave Surette. Ideally, an extra should be something the receiver can't get, IMO.

13. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (510) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

Recently got a Blind Pig as an extra and a Limbo IPA. Just sent a Westbrook Gose and a Founders Porter as extras to someone in California.

14. Best: BA Behemoth!

15. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Best I ever got was a Parabola. Totally unexpected and generous and at the time I'd never had it. Blew me away.

GeorgiaBeerGuy likes this.
  16. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Best extra I recieved was- I traded a Huna for some HF last year and they guy threw in a Lawsons Double Sunshine.

Worst- Not really the worst, its a good beer. I had 3 trades almost in a row where I was extrad a Big Bad Baptist.

17. Gunch43

Gunch43 Savant (285) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2010

This makes no sense. It's a good, in some opinions great beer. The fact that it can be easily obtained should make no difference. There is also the possibility they were in the same distribution so then what do you do? Scoffing at getting ANY extra I think is poor form. As far as not wanting something because you can buy one easily, that's like someone offering to buy you "X" beer at a bar and you reply: "No thanks, I can get that here".

On a separate note, I think a good way to go is to check out a persons want list as well as a comparable distribution. Try to send something off the list or something they can't get.

Slashytits and JavaNoire like this.
  18. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (305) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Best received: Jester King ru-55

Worst received: a year old hell or high watermelon. It's canned in mn and available here as well.

AndrewPalmer likes this.
  19. Done only 3 trades thus far:

Best Received: Enjoy By And Jai Alai White Oak
    Best Given: Hoponius Union
    Worst Received: Nothing comes to mind
    Worst Given: no such thing

20. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Damn man, I'd be thrilled if I got BBB extra 3 trades in a row!!

21. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Let me rephrase, not Worst extras, just redundant

22. Best received, someone who posted in this thread miffed up the first shipment in which we agreed to do no extras, and included a beer I like, but wouldn't trade for. When notified he promptly shipped the correct beer, and an extra KBS, which I had recently run out of my own supply. So I received two extras on a trade that we agreed to include none.

Best given, Bourbon County Coffee

23. bcbcs=jeremy linsanity...id run out of my house and kiss the nearest stranger i saw if i got coffee

zoober911 likes this.
  24. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Best extra/s: a totally unexpected 12 bottle shipper from one of the best traders on the planet, filled w/good beer. Such insanity cannot be left unanswered.

Worst extras: a guy who took bloody forever to ship sent as a bonus three pales/IPAs ranging from 6-18 months old. Thanks, buddy.

25. ThirstT

ThirstT Aficionado (140) Illinois May 5, 2012

I'm excited to see that no one has put me on here for worst extra. I was excited to send out some of the Pizza beer that was concocted in a local near me. As no one has mentioned that they were happy about it, I rethought my choice of putting in as one of the extras in future trades. I do still think it's a beer to experience part of one time though.

26. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

Best: King Henry

Worst: Anything White Birch

Brutus627 likes this.
  27. Best- Heady, Sun King Afternoon Delight, Founders Imperial Stout, and On the Wings of Armageddon.
    Worst- no extra is bad

creepinjeeper likes this.
  28. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (430) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

I received two Kaggens last year as extras/Christmas presents. That was pretty killer.

Worst? Tic-taks, box of mac & cheese, pennies (like they're worth anything today), and loose rice/pasta. Makes a mess of the place and there's never enough to use for cooking. WTF is up with that?

:)

29. QuentinCall

QuentinCall Savant (260) Georgia Sep 30, 2011

I was extra'd a beautiful IPA tasting/lineup of: Headhunter, Alchemy Hour, White Rajah, Rye of the Tiger and Overrated. I might have misted up a little bit.

30. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I just don't understand this. Extras are extra but I view the extras I send as a reflection on me as a trader and a BA. A year old IPA? I wouldn't buy it or drink it myself so why would I send it to another BA?

31. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

One of my first trades.....
    I didn't know extras was a thing but me and some BA shipped beer to each other at the same time.
    His box included a couple NG offerings which was sweet. My box included only what was agreed upon during the trade.
    He sent me a BM that was really rude. Im still not sure if i should feel bad or not.

Anyway, now I send out 2-3 extras per box.

32. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

To be fair, all it takes is a quick visit to www.seekabrew.com and compare the two state's distributions. I get a quick list of what's not available in my trade partner's state and seek those out at bottle shops when doing extras.

It really is something every potentially new trader should check out before shipping.

Hopgoddess312 likes this.
  33. I sent a guy one time black ops and a year old backwoods bastard. He returned the favor by sending me some unknown IPA and barley wine that was horrible. Still mad about that one.

34. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

I was doing a trade and I saw that he also had a Bramble Rye in his cellar, so I asked if he was willing to expand our trade. He said that it was long gone and that he needed to update his "gots". Then... I received Bramble Rye as an extra from him. CRAZINESS! So very generous.

Worst: I sent two BA SS and a bunch of extras to a guy for the most recent (i.e. 12 oz) Kate the great. Even without my extras, I thought it was a pretty generous deal on my end. I received no extras, just Kate. Not a big deal, but it's not like shipping would have been any more $ if he threw in another 12 oz beer or two.

The best "extra" I have given was Chocolate Rain. I did a trade with a guy (now a regular trading partner) in November of last year. He was a really great guy, so I sent him CR as a little unexpected Christmas gift. I also sent someone else (now also a regular trading partner) a 2009 Ichabod as an extra. The bummer was... he'd never heard of it.

Acropora and gregkoko like this.
  35. I have to agree, no extras are the worst extras. I sent out a box that included and couple of extras (nothing crazy) which arrived to the recipient before he shipped his box. Still no extras included on their end, lame but if that's how you roll then so be it.

Best extras where a Parabola and a Deliverance, a great trade and loved them both.

36. Best I've gotten was an unexpected Consecration. Worst was a Harpoon, but I'm not complaining.

I usually throw in a Heady or 2. The last box I also added a bcbcs. I included KY bourbon barrel pumpkin beers as jokes for a minute.

37. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

...waiting for those that sent the worst extras being talked about in here to chime in.

That is when this thread will get great.

Justinsosmart and ridglens like this.
  38. Best I've gotten has to be an unexpected box from a previous trade partner with a 750 Cantillon Gueuze.

Best I've given is probably Heady or Kane growlers/BA stouts.

39. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Best Rec - BB4D, KBS
    Best Given - Abraxas, M3, Twilight of the Idols

40. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

Let's talk about worsts. Not an extra, but a bottle of aged Founders Breakfast Stout was given to me as part of my White Whale 3 BIF package. Also an Ommegang 3 Philosophers. The actual whales were sort of underwhelming too.

I took it in stride at the time. But enough time has passed to openly call these dick moves.

juliusseizure, Tony412 and Photekut like this.