Best/Worst Trade Extras

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by raynmoon, Dec 31, 2013.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Best: To many to say!

Bad: 1+ year old standard pale ales

Worst: Standard shelf beers (some old) from St. Louis breweries (I live here wtf)

2. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (305) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

Traded way way over $4$ for Splinter Gold. Guy just kept asking for more and telling me his friends were telling him I should add more. That was a huge red flag, but whatever...I wanted SG. When I told the dude that I would like $4$ to get a little closer (not even, just less lopsided), dude told me, "Don't worry, you'll be very happy with the box." Old Lagunitas Sucks as an extra (and I live in a Lagunitas distribution area). Total malt bomb for a beer I can get any day right down the street in season. Decided I won't be trading with this guy again. Not a bad trader by any means...but not someone I'll trade with again.

3. I just received a NG Raspberry Tart as an extra recently. Probably the best extra I've received in my young trading time.

Justdoit1234 and kerry4porters like this.
  4. I was just talking to a guy about a potential trade and then told him that something came up and I couldn't actually go any further with the trade at that point. He understood and sent this unsolicited box for no reason...

[​IMG]

I had never traded with this person before but we had discussed trading once before but nothing came of it that time either. Very generous to say the least.

Other amazing extras: Fou Foune, T25, Upland sours, Westy 8, Beat5, and so on. I've been incredibly lucky to have found some really exceptional trading partners. I was thrilled to be able to pay back a couple of them with unsolicited Proprietor's this winter.

5. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

I think my best extra was an 2009 BCBS bomber but that was a couple years ago. Still a generous extra. It was in a trade for a BCBVS.

6. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

That is a killer IPA. We get it here in MN and it's easily one of the best IPAs you can buy.

7. Best: Zombie Dust, Velvet Merkin, Pliny

Worst: Backwoods Bastard (tongue firmly in cheek) (I've received really good extras, and this is honestly the worst...and I love it! Goes to show you the vast majority of BAs are good peeps).

8. Best

Beatificaiton B5 and or Saison Bernice

Worst.

Old IPA's

9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

best received: row 2 hill 56 growler plus a temptation in a totally unsolicited box.
    worst received: not technically an extra, but a BIF box (not from this site) that was half filled with beers i could get easily by walking three blocks. however, the dude way way made up for it in a followup trade.

best sent: fou foune
    worst sent: i don't send shitty extras. maybe beers you might not wind up liking, but i'm extremely careful to at least keep things in-code and also only send stuff outside the recipients distro zone.

10. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

what i thought at the time, Best: 2013 Darklord

Worst: drank 2013 darklord

concealed, mythaeus and Johnnyhitch like this.
  11. lol, you got a collectors item? empty bottle? Maybe UPS/FedEx figured it out and is a beer guy and stole it

12. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

i meant when i got the darklord i was excited, then i drank it and was quickly dissappointed. thought that counts though i guess.

Johnnyhitch likes this.
  13. RustyP

RustyP Savant (350) Texas Dec 22, 2008

Best extra: I drove to OKC to make in IP trade with blueokie...not only did he go out of his way to meet me on short notice, but he brought a Bottleworks XII just in case I hadn't tried it before! Luckily I came armed with an extra Jester King sour and some other stuff, but his extra was still way better :)

beerboy9960 likes this.
  14. robgage

robgage Savant (415) Pennsylvania Dec 19, 2013

Best: FiftyFifty Eclipse Elijah Craig 12yr

Worst: Nothing.... COME ON MAN!

15. beernuts

beernuts Savant (285) Virginia Jan 23, 2014

So what exactly is the protocol regarding extras? Are they expected? Would it be considered bad form to not send any extras or are they truly bonus beers? I'm not a trader, just curious.

16. Hopheadhiker

Hopheadhiker Savant (350) New York Mar 21, 2013

Best received: Bottleworks XII & Beachwood Tovarish in same trade
    Best Given: Lawson's Maple Barrel Aged Fayston
    Worst Received...no such thing

mythaeus, CarolinaKevin and matt2591 like this.
  17. Bieniek30

Bieniek30 Savant (330) New York Mar 24, 2013

Best Recieved: Gumballhead
    Best Given: BCBS

18. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

best: black Tuesday with a regular trading partner
    worst: proably a selection of organic beers recently. florida gets their distro and the beers were mediocre at best.

trading on here is getting harder and harder every day with people holding their beer ransom. luckily, I have made trade partners in almost all parts of the country so we typically make good on most trades. I am also in a beer group on facebook and that has been the best thing to happen to my beer cellar. there are still some great BAs out there, but the forums are starting to get filled with some real munsons that want the world for their "rare" flavor of the week.

mctizzz, tripsforjoe and core42 like this.
  19. I can't really say "best received" because these were awesome for each trade: BCBCS, CW 16, 3F Oude Gueuze, Westy 12, PtE, Sour in the Rye

Worst: unlabeled bottle, trading partner said it's either home brew or some (name omitted) beer with missing label

"Best" given: 1/2lbs bag of curry beef jerky made by my extended family. I usually give this out to my repeat trade partner in addition to other extras.

http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-trader-tips.html#Extras

robgage and beernuts like this.
  20. fishmich

fishmich Advocate (500) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

no extras is bad form unless it was in the trade agreement.

best sent: BBPT5th or Kuhnhenn meads

best received: Parabola

21. Beer geek brunch weasal and BA Framinghammer on the same trade. The best given Surly Darkness.

22. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Best: Crooked Stave Batch 1, Three Floyds pint glass (use it all the time)

Worst: Any Year Old+ IPAs. I hate you.

23. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Savant (495) Georgia Jul 27, 2013

Best recieved: psuedosue, zombie dust, big bad baptist, raspberry tart, and some of central waters barrel program beers.

Best given: DB Huna, bcs, bcbbw

Worst recieved: innis &gunn winter porter. But i'm not complaining.

Worst given: probably old heathen

24. jdb288

jdb288 Aficionado (245) New Jersey Nov 22, 2013

Best Received: Hill Farmstead Everett

25. JMaxwell

JMaxwell Aficionado (200) Maryland Oct 18, 2012

I'm still fairly new to trading but in one of my first trades I sent out a 6-pack of OTWOA for a 4-pack of Heady. When I received my package I found two extra cans of Heady Topper, along with another local IPA. I was thrilled to say the least and couldn't help but share the wealth with a couple friends who also love beer.

26. ESCO138

ESCO138 Savant (270) California Dec 10, 2013

Best Given: FW XVII
    Best Received: BA Framinghammer.
    Worst: Nothing [Not mad if extras not mentioned].

27. Surly Coffee Bender. It came as an extra and I immediately went back and set up a trade for 8 more!

28. epic1856

epic1856 Savant (260) California Aug 11, 2006

Best: Heady Topper
    Worst: None received (I'm ok with it though)

29. markgugs

markgugs Champion (990) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

I just got an Abyss 2013 :eek:

AndrewPalmer likes this.
  30. lurpy1

lurpy1 Advocate (505) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

FW16 is the best extra. there is no worst extra.

31. Best given: Darkness. (wedding present) with Bell's wedding ale
    Best received 2012 Abyss

32. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (400) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

I personally think that's a fun extra.

33. fishmich

got this one today, the BT, Bois and Sucaba were extras.
    [​IMG]

jrnyc and krustster like this.
  34. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (540) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Aside from recognizable extras, i try to throw in stuff from small local brewpubs that don' t suck. Is this a violation of extra etiquette?

35. Ckoz

Ckoz Savant (260) Michigan Feb 15, 2014

Jesus who did you trade with ha

concealed likes this.
  36. fishmich

traded with badb_rad. enjoying one of those Parabolas right now getting ready for the Spartans!

concealed likes this.
  37. Ckoz

Ckoz Savant (260) Michigan Feb 15, 2014

Go Green. Enjoy

concealed likes this.
  38. Recent non-ba guy, trade was for 3-5 bible belts. Ended up being 6 bible belts, 2 bomb!, 2 prarie noir and 2 ten fidy!

39. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm down to a few regular trade partners, they all add great xtra stuff, great beer, glassware etc. Kinda gets to be a competition to add good stuff they can't daily get.

markgugs likes this.
  40. Best received: Elijah Craig Eclipse 20yr & Better Half - in the same box :eek::eek:
    Best given: Backyard Rye & Black Note - same box

kingkong likes this.