1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best/Worst Trade Extras

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by raynmoon, Dec 31, 2013.

1. arlingtonjoe

arlingtonjoe Savant (330) Illinois Jan 20, 2013

Best received would have been marshall wharf cant dog or a 2 year vertical of kbs.
    Best received from a BA who trades regularly and comes to tastings at our local mom & pop would be heady, psuedo sue 7, and OTWOA from dc brau and we were just sharing beers.
    Worst would have been a 21 month old cherise from founders. gotta love a vintage fruit beer. lol. :confused:

2. bsnone

bsnone Aficionado (245) Arizona Nov 22, 2012

Best: Was sent a box containing Zombie Dust and Alpha Klaus around Christmas from an awesome regular trader. Never had had either at the time, both are no some of my favorites.

Best given: I've sent BCBCS after I had to delay shipping about a 7-10 days. Also sent Abyss to someone out of the Deschutes distro.

I've really had some serious awesome extras but the box out of the blue was pretty slick.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. Extras are a bonus. I've only completed 2 trades and have one in transit. I ALWAYS give extras whether I suspect to get some or not. I don't like to say I am sending extras as I do not want my partner to feel an obligation to send some in return. If you can, awesome but it is not an obligation. All 3 of my trading partners so far are in the greater Chicago area. I've sent all of them 2 Hi-Res as extras as well as sending some Flower Power, Hop Ranch, and Nugget Nectar.

4. The worst extras are the extras that you see sitting on the shelves all over your state and you never buy them. And then you get them in the mail. People, please check out seekabrew or look at your trade partners Wants. And when you say you'll "take care" of someone, you better do so.

5. atpca

atpca Advocate (540) California Jun 10, 2013

Worst extra was none... Had an incoming box returned by UPS, trader said it was because "one of the extras" broke. When the trade finally came in, no extras!

It only hurt because I had my hopes raised!

6. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (520) California Dec 23, 2010

Best: The same guy has extrad me Beuregard, Black Tuesday, and Bretta Rose

Worst: Multiple old IPAs rated as "poor" by BAs after I specifically asked for no IPAs. I still gave the guy a good rating, but considering he got his box and saw that I hit his wants with extras b4 he even shipped, it was a slap in the face.

WckdVbz likes this.
  7. Jlabs

Jlabs Savant (280) New York Nov 11, 2013

all "extras" are good in my book..even stuff I don't like or wouldn't drink, I wouldn't consider bad..I'd just give them out to friends or toss them out

in terms of sending out extras..I've tried to get better in this department..my last two trades I added beers that weren't in my recipient's distro and ones I really enjoyed

8. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Advocate (555) Virginia Sep 9, 2013

I don’t really consider anything a bad/worst extra, anything in the box that is extra is awesome in my book. Sending extras is my favorite part and what I look forward to the most; usually I just tend to send some good locals that I enjoy that my trading partner can’t get. Haven’t dropped any whale extras on anyone yet.

Auslander and creepinjeeper like this.
  9. Agreed. I don't think this thread should exist personally. There are no bad extras.

10. jesus christ dude, you need to drop that shit

core42, tviz33, JavaNoire and 8 others like this.
  11. atpca

atpca Advocate (540) California Jun 10, 2013

Sure there are! Bad, funny, embarrassing... I'd never let it reflect on the trade/trader but lets be honest, some truly strange stuff gets sent in these boxes.

12. But that's what makes it fun, to me at least. You never know what you'll get. Hell one time I got a Bud Chelada tall boy in a Parabola box. Both @kerry4porters and I thought it was funny. Relax a little, it's just beer.

13. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Now that's freakin funny! I went to my buddies birthday party once and gave him a pack of natty ice all wrapped up. We had a good laugh, then one day he was locked out of his house for a while and told the story:
    "I needed something...anything... I looked in my garage fridge..." he explained as he wiped sweat from his brow.
    "The contents almost seemed to mock me...a six pack of O'douls, a six pack of Natty Ice...and a bottle of Punishment."
    He drank the natty.

14. markgugs

markgugs Champion (980) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

he's incapable. unhinged is the one-word descriptor I would use

15. ^^^ This

16. I always heard Westy 12 made a terrible "extra"

17. Sure does, when I have 5 of them. And I'm about to trade them all $4$. Don't have it on my Wants nor did I ever mention that I wanted it. Also, a bad extra is the one you said you were gonna include, but didn't.

18. Ok Mr. Forgetful. Are you in need of Omega-3 or you have a drinking problem? Or are you doing too many trades at once and can't keep up with what you've said/promised to whom? Maybe you should take a break or slow down with trading just a little bit. You forgot this and wasn't sure about that when all you had to do is look through our convo. Also, you said that at the time I didn't have anything on my Wants...That's a straight up lie and you know it! I don't appreciate your immature, insulting and vulgar BM. Where is my promised can of Heady btw?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  19. markgugs

there's no way for you to prove you had any "wants" - you didn't, btw - because that persona/login has been banned. you know damned well you didn't, which left me to go by your rapidfire BMs, where you went on & on & on & on about how much you love Quads, and hate hoppy beer. I'd go back to reference the BMs, but like an immature child, you "kicked me out" of the convo, so I can't.

If I send you a can of Heady, will you mix it with bleach, and drink it?

core42, brian4beer, JavaNoire and 2 others like this.
  20. You're right, there is no way to prove that. That's why you're sticking to the story. I know damn well I had a ton of beers on my Wants. And you have no way to prove that I didn't. By that time we've already agreed on our trade. So, technically you should've/could've looked at my Wants. Sorry I couldn't provide more than 4 Mexican Cakes, so you can trade them for whales. My bad. Oh the love for Quads and that's why everything I traded for were Imperial Stouts. Just be thankful for the best deal on Mexican Cake that you've gotten. I sent 4 Mexican Cakes for Speedway Stout, Abacus, Space Ghost and WWS. That is more than fair and 4 MC are worth more than your 4. Just pointing it out since you were so worried about $4$. I hooked you up, but you took it as if I'm a dumb ass. And now I'm being insulted. What an awesome trader/guy you are.

21. markgugs

Alex, this is my point: we began discussing the trade, the BM chain went forever (if memory serves over 150 BMs, 6+ pages), and sorry, but you got yourself banned for being a d-bag. Can't imagine how that happened.

You reached out to me on another site, and the convo continued, but there wasn't any way to access these alleged wants/gots of yours. Sure you have them now, but you didn't then. All I could go on was your comments about style preferences, which I understood to be big stouts, BA stouts, Belgian quads, etc. So I did my best to hit them. How could I possibly check to see if you had them, or wanted them?

I sent you very nice fucking extras. All you've done is bitch about it, and quite frankly, turn 98% of the people reading this nonsense off to ever - and I mean, ever - dealing with you.

I don't know why you say the ridiculous things you do. Trade Mexican Cakes for whales? Are you retarded? Do you want to ask people who got them from me for free? @buyyourfreedom or @nc41 - Antonio, Dale, did I send you guys free Mexican Cakes or what? Sorry to drag you into this but this mouthbreather has literally worn out my last nerve.

JavaNoire likes this.
  22. The best way to solve this is just let it go. I'm sorry Mark. You seemed like a good guy and I'm not sure why/how this happened. Let's just put each other on ignore (or not) and never again talk smack, ok? Also, 150 BMs, 6+ pages!!! Exactly! You had all that time to take a look at my Wants, because the deal was sealed already. I even told you about looking at your Wants. Sucks that this turned out this way. Another thing, sorry that you took that comment the wrong way, like I was talking to you or about you. And you were the one who put your name out there and responded. I was literally talking about guys trading 1 or 2 bombers and receiving up to 4 bombers of whales or not as extras. If you really thought that I was talking to or about you, you should've messaged me, but you chose to do it in public. My birthday is this weekend and I don't want to fight/argue. I do believe that there's a chance that me and you can fix this. Even if we never to another trade.

23. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Advocate (555) Virginia Sep 9, 2013

I heard free Mexican Cakes..

I don’t know either of you but it seems like this shit has been going on for a while in different threads. All I know is that at some point I hope I have something that @markgugs wants because he seems like a solider trader.

24. hansenm72

hansenm72 Savant (415) Wisconsin Jan 23, 2014

ladies... ladies... enough already. Get a room and fight it out to the death or something. Beer is a stress RELIEVER fools!!!

HuskyHawk, PA-Michigander and WckdVbz like this.
  25. I can attest to this. In our last trade, Mark tossed in a very nice bottle (among other things) of Mexican Cake as an extra.

On a related note, @markgugs has always been extremely generous in our trades. It has gotten to the point when I'll trade specifically for 1 or 2 things, and then let him package the rest of the box as he sees fit. I've never been disappointed. As far as extras go, off the top of my head, he has sent me a Mexican Cake, Jack's Abby BA Framinghammer, BCBS, etc...

26. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I've traded with Mark before and not only an unsolicited MC but more than a few xtras too. Great trader more than always fair . I'll find something to flip his way but it most assuredly won't be coming from Myrtle Beach, hard to beat nj distro.

markgugs likes this.
  27. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I just traded with Mark as well for a friend of mine. He threw in a Blackout Stout and another one...er...can't remember but it was a solid ass extra. Solid trader and very friendly.

Anyways, more on topic:
    I wish I could hook people up with extras better, most of the time all I have is Jai Alai and Cat 5. I try my best but I don't have a huge collection of beer, I mean right now I have a BT and a Leon, that's it.

Ah well, once my berliner factory is in full gear I'll always have some super limited tasty ass homebrews to throw in.

As far as extras I've received goes, it's an extra...Even if they sent me a DFH 60 minute that's fine. Best I ever had was BCBS.

28. Travitten

Travitten Aficionado (225) Iowa Feb 8, 2014

Mark sent me a mbc dinner as an extra. I would gladly trade with Mark again.

29. Travitten

Travitten Aficionado (225) Iowa Feb 8, 2014

The worst extras are no extras, yet that is why it is called extra, there should be no expectations.

30. ^^ This. I wish more people could understand this. Some just don't.

tviz33 likes this.
  31. Not so much an extra, but I had a trading partner that was sending me some Lawson's goodies, and after a few beer mails we'd agreed upon what we'd send one another (not difinitive, merely a guideline). When I opened my box I only saw 2 lawson's, I was a little bummed but glad to try it. Even thinking to myself "maybe we did only agree on one of each of these?" Anyway, I kept pulling the bottles out and there was a complete surprise of a HF Arthur in there. Never agreed upon, never mentioned, just wonderful.

I don't think an extra is bad; however, I did get a box one time with no extras...no big deal, but then the dude blasted me for sending him an IPA extra that was over a month (maybe two) old. My fault for not checking closely; however, I wanted this guy to try a couple local beers, and he didn't send me a single extra. So I felt a little annoyed that he blasted me for my extras when he sent jack

32. @markgugs ......lets do a trade.But only if I get a free Mexican cake. :)

I also say there should be no expectations on extras.Anyone that gives you extra is ok in my book...it's like a stranger buying you a pint or 2 at the bar.Say thanks and appreciate the gesture.

JavaNoire and creepinjeeper like this.
  33. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I just got extra'd a 4 day old bottle of Maine Beer Co. Lunch. At an IP trade..... Didn't think he'd have 2 cases of Lunch in his car when I brought my extras.

34. Droopy487

Droopy487 Savant (250) Tennessee Dec 3, 2013

I want to trade with the people who seek out what their trader wants. WOW. But, I like anything free, which that is what an extra is. I didn't know that was the unspoken "rule of good trades" when I started trading. I have no expectations of extras. If it's a sixer of Natty Light, then hell yeah. Thanks man. It's free.

I will say I had a first time trader throw in a heady topper as an extra. I almost fell over when I unwrapped it.

35. I have no expectations of extras, and have always been blown away by every single box I have received. Excellent BA's one and all! (You guys know who you are!!!) Regardless of who ships first in a trade, my philosophy is simple. I try to pack every box as if that box is Christmas. To me, it's one of the best things about being a BA. ( A "sneak attack" is even more fun to pack ...)

Travitten and blue-dream like this.
  36. schris

schris Aficionado (135) Illinois Mar 13, 2014

I've only done IP trades so far, where it seems like extras are a little less common. I still add a little something most of the time, but I haven't come to expect great extras from IP traders, especially ones I don't know - and I definitely don't worry about it when I don't get any. But recently I did a trade with a BA from Indiana, locals for locals (Half Acre and Pipeworks on my end, a couple different breweries out of the Chicago market on his). And he added a Jackie O's Dark Apparition (really nice stout with a super heavy-duty bottle like something out of an 1820's apothecary), and a RR Consecration. Really made my day!

37. robear

robear Advocate (505) Wisconsin May 24, 2014

Older Viscosity as an extra???

38. robear

robear Advocate (505) Wisconsin May 24, 2014

I love getting good regional shelf beers as extras. Last week was Head Hunter from a dude in Ohio. GSB from a dude in NY. Jai Alai from FLA (before they distributed). Modern Times and Hess from CA.

39. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

Anyone who thinks there are no bad extras has never received bad extras.

WckdVbz likes this.
  40. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I got Beer Hates Astronauts in my first ever mail trade. Brings a smile to face just thinking about it. It was excellent.