Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

Best/Worst Trade Extras

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by raynmoon, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Advocate (595) New York Nov 5, 2013 Verified

I just got The Abyss 2013, Espresso Oak Aged Yeti 2012, Bourbon County Barleywine Ale, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, and 3F Gumballhead as extras. I was ecstatic. I'm sending out additional extras as a thank you tomorrow.

2. brack

brack Aficionado (160) Illinois Nov 30, 2013 Verified

Worst extra ever.... FFF Biggs Stache, debating on when to drink it.... For science of course

3. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Advocate (655) Ohio May 2, 2013 Verified

Recently completed an IP trade where I received my first Heady and Dark Lord as extras. I think the look on my face was exactly what he was looking for, thanks Mike!!

JavaNoire likes this.
  4. landhoney

landhoney Savant (345) Florida Apr 19, 2007 Verified

Texan sent me a dented Maduro can as an extra.....and I'm in FL, lol. It was a great trade for awesome JK stuff so I didn't care but it made me chuckle, who sends CCB cans to FL traders?!?! :confused:

5. supersly52

supersly52 Aficionado (160) Iowa Oct 11, 2013 Verified

best extra that I ever received was Cantillon Rose and Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Aged Gingerbread Stout on the same trade, needless to say we are regular traders now!

AdamP likes this.
  6. Papaloth

Papaloth Savant (250) Indiana Nov 9, 2013 Verified

A while back, I got some pretty amazing extras (at least I think so) on a trade - 1 BCBBW, 1 Double Dose, 1 Weyerbacher Insanity BW, and something else (it was a highly rated stout, nothing crazy though)

I was floored - I usually only get (and give) 1-2 extras and let's face it, they are usually just "extra" stuff that you have in your fridge that isn't great but isn't God awful. When I thanked the trader profusely (and felt like a shithead for my measly 1 decent extra) he said "no sweat, just a few things I had laying around." DAMN!

What's the best extra(s) you've received?

7. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Advocate (630) California Mar 2, 2013 Verified

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  8. Trillium Congress St and Jacks Abbey BA Framinghammer.

Furbs23 and SweetChicken like this.
  9. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Champion (825) Colorado Feb 14, 2014 Verified

I just received a Prairie Noir from @fredmugs that blew my mind!!

fredmugs likes this.
  10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,245) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

if only this could be in the trading forum

11. Furbs23

Furbs23 Aficionado (125) New York Jan 29, 2014 Verified

La Cumbre Project Dank

12. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Champion (875) Maryland Oct 31, 2013 Verified

As long as you enjoyed them, that's all that matters to me!

13. threedaggers

threedaggers Advocate (595) Kentucky Dec 2, 2013 Verified

14. KMitch

KMitch Savant (485) Alabama Aug 29, 2012 Verified

Got Prairie Bomb, Christmas Bomb and KBS as extras all in the same trade

15. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (435) Arizona Jan 6, 2009 Verified

Umm, all the beers were nice and I was very grateful for the "local" surprises because I am all about that drink local scene, but I really really dug the special Styrofoam liner pack for bottles most of all,...

16. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (415) California Apr 27, 2011 Verified

I got a oude tarte w/ cherries as an extras once I was like whatttt???? awesome

17. tone77

tone77 Advocate (705) Pennsylvania May 20, 2009 Verified

Three floyds Zombie Dust from cpolking. I couldn't believe it.

18. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Savant (330) Wisconsin Jan 8, 2013 Verified Subscriber

Pliny the Elder from an IP trade in WI. @bpolglaze . My friend couldn't believe it

19. Fusebuddy

Fusebuddy Advocate (600) Wisconsin Mar 14, 2013 Verified

20. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poobah (1,020) Ohio Jan 8, 2014 Verified

21. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Advocate (525) Massachusetts Jun 5, 2013 Verified

Golden Blend
    Beat
    an older Tilquin Gueze

from Euro traders Mamouche and Vignerrone

22. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Champion (940) Colorado Mar 22, 2012 Verified

Huna, Four Roses Eclipse, Heady, mexican Cake, Julius, cocoa-nut Fram, to name a few..

Papaloth and craft_is_king like this.
  23. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Advocate (585) Florida May 7, 2014 Verified

Prairie Bomb, Merkin, and Zombie dust from one trade. Best trader ever!
    Love me some good extras!

Papaloth likes this.
  24. Papaloth

Papaloth Savant (250) Indiana Nov 9, 2013 Verified

Ask and you shall receive!

25. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Advocate (590) Florida Sep 20, 2014 Verified

Have gotten some solid extras: Zombie Dust, Tired Hands Growlers, sun king Osiris, sunny side up! Little amps coffee stout, alpine bine and vine, Heady Topper. I think my extras are better than the stuff I trade for!

26. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony Savant (395) California May 22, 2006 Verified

Had a guy send me an separate package for extras because he couldn't find a big enough box to include everything. So what did he spend an extra 15 bucks to ship? A bunch of 10 month old Two Hearted.

I mean damn.

Papaloth and HeadyTheElder like this.
  27. jae

jae Savant (360) Washington Feb 21, 2010 Verified

Too many to count. No way I can even live up to the following:

Supplication, Expedition, BCBS, CS Batch 100, Heady, Breakfast Stout, Overrated, Westbrook Gose . . . And on and on.

28. AndrewPalmer

AndrewPalmer Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 11, 2013 Verified

Made a mention to someone (you know who you are) that my brother in law wanted to try pliny. I get a message that I should watch for fedex in the next day or so . Then this shows up. Sure made me feel inferior. Will be attempting vengeance very soon.

[​IMG]

But aren't all beers from regular trading partners mostly extras? I basically hunt down their wants as much as mine now.

29. dutesanch

dutesanch Advocate (510) California Apr 22, 2014 Verified

I'm thankful for all the extras people have given me. The four that stand out and caused me to actually seek out more as principle in trades are Zombie Dust, backwoods bastard, Bourbon county stout '14, and Bourbon county coffee '13.

30. Justdoit1234

Justdoit1234 Advocate (695) Minnesota Jan 24, 2014 Verified

Off the top of my head I've received:Heady,ZD,Pirate Bomb!,WWS,Lunch. No extras is cool too!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  31. 64vdub

64vdub Savant (425) California Feb 20, 2014 Verified

Heady, SOS, BA Storm Trooper, Florence, Bomb! BCBCS, BCBBW, BCBS, Pliny, Hats, Jacki O's Aphrodite, Sweatshirts and others I'm forgetting. I can't believe these guys call themselves BA's :)

32. toppoop

toppoop Savant (445) Ohio Sep 27, 2009 Verified

Did a quick search on this subject and didn't find anything. People are mighty generous on this trading forum and I try as best as I can. What's the best extra you've ever had? I'd say my favorite would be Hodad Porter from Fiddlehead. I've gotten other rarer beers as extras but not knowing about this one beforehand made it that much better. Cheers!

33. Vivified

Vivified Savant (325) California Jul 9, 2014 Verified

I haven't done a whole lot of trading but @IowaPA was about as generous as they come to add a TG Imperial Golden Nugget and CW ba stout to a deal that was essentially $12 in $4$ brews. Solid trader there, I hope to share some of my Russian River and Kern River hauls from next week with him.

IowaPA likes this.
  34. nc41

nc41 Champion (770) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008 Verified

Got some great long time trade guys : Ross/ Ben/ Tom/ Mike/ Mark/ Chad/ Chris, all great trading guys. I don't do much new trading anymore, easier to work with these guys, all generous as hell and great to share beers with.

twizzard and markgugs like this.
  35. Rlhinson2104

Rlhinson2104 Savant (405) Florida Apr 28, 2014 Verified

In our very first trade, for my first Black Tuesday, one of the best BAs I know sent me BOTH Grey Monday and Fume as EXTRAS!!! I was beyond floored!

Not only that, but he remembered our original conversation from over six months ago, despite numerous new messages, and just sent a Melange 1 that I had mentioned SERIOUSLY searching for. He's the BEE'S KNEES!!! :)

Ruderaven52 likes this.
  36. markgugs

markgugs Poobah (1,130) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006 Verified Subscriber

You're my boy blue, errr, Dale!

37. mrcraft

mrcraft Champion (970) California Dec 15, 2012 Verified

Not technically extras, but I received an unsolicited box of KBS, FIS, FBS, Rubaeus, Dark Horse, and Short's just because I made a post on a thread here that I wanted to try Rubaeus at some point. I can't remember what I sent in my first box, but I just sent another box not too long ago with 3F Oude Geuze, 3F Oude Kriek, and Abyss, just because...

38. IowaPA

IowaPA Savant (250) Iowa Apr 17, 2014 Verified

@Desp59 has dropped me some awesome extras in past trades, but got a crazy generous extra last trade. LOONy, some might say.

Vivified likes this.
  39. Best unexpected extras in a single trade were grey monday, barrel roll barley wine, oude tart with cherries el Segundo citra and few others as extras! The whole trade was for some amazing beers and the box weighed in at 52 pounds!
    i knew he would throw in good stuff but not like that lol. So i threw in a vanilla rye as an extra. Thinking it was good but he still embarrassed me with his extras lol.

IowaPA likes this.
  40. Ruderaven52

Ruderaven52 Aficionado (230) California Jun 24, 2013 Verified

Exactly. This is the thing.