1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Best Year Round 6-Pack From Your State

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by anglagard1, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Carrico

Carrico Aspirant (30) Jan 8, 2013

If you asked most Missourians, I'm afraid they'd say Bud Light. However I am not most Missourians thank God, I would have to say Schlafly American IPA (APA). If you're talking bombers It's hard for me to say, probably Perennial's Hommel.

2. Pike kilt lifter. Washington is short on options. There are no six packs of freemont in spokane that I've been able to find.

3. adamette

adamette Advocate (560) Ohio Aug 23, 2007

I am not from PA but I would be inclined to vote for Troegs Pale Ale. Just excellent!

4. adamette

Ohio-- I nominate Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
    or Columbus IPA

Thanks!

5. moosiz

moosiz Aficionado (180) Michigan Mar 25, 2009

I'll say crooked tree IPA... currently.

6. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

For Illinois (but really the Great State of Chicago), I'll say Revolution Anti-Hero or Metropolitan Iron Works. Honorable mention to the 4pk tallboys of Daisy Cutter.

7. Fremont Interurban IPA

8. andthevolcano

andthevolcano Savant (425) Delaware Apr 22, 2008

Thanks man! I wish they were more active these days.

9. jimlapaglia

jimlapaglia Zealot (95) New York Jan 1, 2009

I take it you haven't tried Flower Power. If not you should. If you have I respectfully disagree.

10. Missouri - Boulevard Tank 7

11. Amen. The last couple of albums were a little rough, though. I like to remember them as they were in their Deja Entendu days.

12. illinikap

illinikap Aficionado (215) Illinois Jan 10, 2013

I'd say Daisy Cutter or Revolution Anti-Hero for Illinois

13. Troegs Perpetual IPA Hands Down.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

VA - Port City and Alewerks both make an excellent year round Porter but I might have to go with Blue Mtn Full Nelson, especially because it's canned. if Alewerks Coffeehouse Stout was year round that would be the clear choice though.

15. In AZ, Four Peaks Hop Knot gets the nod for me. Great beer to float down the Salt River with when it's 110 degrees in the summer.

16. In NC, most of my faves are only in bomber format. But now that Foothills finally sells 12oz bottles, I'll go with People's Porter. [Honorable mention: Natty Greene's Old Town Brown]

KevinGordon likes this.
  17. While Ghandi-Bot is the best beer made in CT it is hardly available all the time so I will go with NEBCO Sea Hag.

18. I think available 6-packs/4-packs of solid beer is a strong suit of Colorado breweries.

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
    Odell's Myrcenary Double IPA
    Odell's 5-Barrel Pale Ale
    Crazy Mountain Amber
    Dad & Dude's Breweria Dank IPA
    Odell's 90 Shilling
    Oskar Blues G'Knight
    Ska Modus Hoperandi
    Renegade Ryeteous Rye IPA
    And coming soon...any of Dry Dock's offerings that will be canned. Great brewery, and really looking forward to this.

19. Two hearted

20. For CT, I'll have to go with NEBCO Elm City Pilsner. When this is fresh, it's delicious any day of the year, and is super refreshing.

A new contender, for me, is Worker's Comp Saison by Two Roads. I can see myself drinking a lot of that.

21. Completely agree. Our best year-round offering.

ubenumber2 likes this.
  22. Either Two Hearted, or Short's Humalupaliscious

23. jfh

jfh Aficionado (210) California Apr 25, 2008

Well Joe 6 pack, great thread. In California, I'll go with Sculpin in a 6 pack, possibly Racer 5 as it's cheaper and way more local. Even more local is Lagunitas IPA. Any one of those, depending on the day. Thanks,

24. Victory Lager

runner up: Perpetual IPA

25. Jersey- Flying Fish Exit 16 or Troegs Perpetual

26. Moon Man for wisconsin

27. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

I respectfully disagree. I have, at this point, had a lot more Jai-Alai than I have Flower Power, but I consider them roughly equal in quality. Ask me again in a year and maybe my opinion will be different.

I will say that when I was up looking at houses in May and tried Flower Power for the first time at the brewery, I was a lot less worried about losing my previous year-round access to Jai-Alai.

28. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

I have, and I think it's every bit as good as Jai-Alai. My comment was no commentary on Jai-Alai, but the fact is that there are a lot more regularly available six-packs from New York breweries than there are regularly available six-packs from Florida breweries. And, apart from Cigar City, the best breweries in Florida don't bottle, so the choice is pretty easy (for me, which do you like best: Jai-Alai, Maduro, or Tocobaga?).

Things have changed in New York in the time I was gone. When I left, Ithaca was still only making two beers, Saranac and Middle Ages (and maybe Brooklyn) were the only widely available New York beers in Syracuse and Ommegang hadn't ramped up production yet.

In short, I have a lot more New York beer to try before I declare my own opinion on the best. It may very well be Flower Power. As of now, the only NY beers I like better are occasional, keg only or not available in six packs.

29. 12tb

12tb Aficionado (125) Iowa May 18, 2011

In iowa.... uhhhhh..... i don't know that I'd buy a six pack brewed in Iowa...

30. I've gpt to go with VBC Prima Pils. It's the hoppiest, tastiest Pilsner I've ever had. It's also extremely sessionable...

31. i live in palm beach county and havent seen a sixer of this E V E R! where are you at you lucky fellow?

32. Yards Brawler, Its as good in the summer as it is in the winter. Otto's Red Mo ale is also a good go to sixer year round.

33. adamette

I am not from Michigan but man, Two Hearted would be really tough to beat for year round availability!

34. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (885) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

This was Delaware's best six pack before the move, so since it is longer brewed in DE I will go with 60 Minute.

Utley12 likes this.
  35. I'm in NC and we get it year around and love it...I am drinking one right now!

36. Pennsylvania

Full Pint - Night of the Living Stout. Much more black IPA than stout. Possibly the best black IPA I've ever had, in fact. Just two nights ago I learned this is a year-round beer (previously thinking it was a fall seasonal and thus no more to be seen for a while). Yesterday I bought a case, upping my total to 10 six packs purchased since discovering it in September.

37. New York - Flower Power.

38. wizzy

wizzy Aficionado (165) Michigan May 20, 2006

MI = two hearted

39. PorterLambic

PorterLambic Advocate (580) Florida Nov 26, 2003

I took a bit of liberty with this one. I was counting a collection of 6 growlers as an over-sized six-pack. In all honesty, getting it in growlers is hard enough and to the best of my knowledge it is not available in standard 12 oz. 6 packs, bottle or can. We can only hope it is coming. And Hunahpu will be available year-round and dollar bills will rain onto our heads every Thursday morning.
    BTW: I live an hour from the brewery. You have Funky Buddha, I get CCB.