1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Better Beer Society University

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by rshellman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. For those not familiar with BBS, we're an organization dedicated to creating awareness and growth of craft beer through education. Most of our work is focused at the retail and brewery level, but we do offer one program for consumers, which is our Better Beer Society University (BBSU) program.

Our spring semester is ready to launch March 5th, and we do have a few seats remaining for both 6:00 and 7:30 classes. BBSU is a 12 week education course for beer enthusiasts of all skill levels.

It's a great format. Each class you receive a flight of 4-5 uniquely curated beers, and we educate students on various aspects of the beer industry, while introducing thought provoking discussions.

Often times we will bring in special guests, both locally and nationally recognized (e.g. - Mitch Steele (brewmaster of Stone), Ray Daniels (founder, Cicerone Cert. Program), Sean Paxton (The Homebrew Chef), and we have some exciting guests in store for you this spring.

Details can be found on our website...hope to see you in class. http://betterbeersociety.com/bbsu/

Cheers -

2. I would be interested in hearing testimonials from some of the alumni of past courses.

Didn't see anything to lead that direction on the linked site. though.

3. I've visited Better Society University as a guest on several occasions. Mr. Shellman and his colleagues provide an experience and environment that every true beer lover would relish. It simply doesn't get better than the fun educational camaraderie BBSU provides facilitates.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  4. Awesome program! I was always able to learn something new at each class even on topics I thought I new a lot about. It really is a lot of fun and you get to try a lot of different types/styles of beer while comparing notes etc. with peers around you and the rest of the class.

All the guest and instructors do a really good job and providing a wealth of information without making you feel overwhelmed. They are also great to keeping the class involved by offering prizes for questions answered during class, homework (Optional but recommend and can be fun!) etc.

I would recommend this program to anyone who enjoys learning new things about beer or just wants to meet some new people who appreciate a good beers as much as they do.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  5. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I think it is great for someone getting into craft beer. I believe if you frequent this site and consider yourself not a novice craft beer drinker you will not gain high level knowledge from this course.

But the the field trip we took was worth the price alone we were able to go on a tour of JJ Taylor ( I guess they do not give tours) learned the most from that. Roll the dice on a awesome field trip would be my recommendation.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  6. I would say it is defiantly the best deal in the Craft Beer Industry! $75 for the whole course...get out of here. I have been a student in the past and it was something that i was super excited to go to each week. Meeting people like Sean Paxton and Ray Daniels was worth the price of admission to me. You get samples every week of different types of beers and get to actually learn about them.

I would say that anyone who is interested in beer...from just getting into it, to seasoned veterans, you will get something out of it. They guy who puts it on and the people that help him are great and very knowledgeable!

I will also say that The Republic does a very nice job accommodating for this event!

7. Pug

Pug Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 6, 2012

I've done this twice, and would do it again this semester if there wasn't some life getting in the way right now. I feel like I know some stuff, but I still also feel like a neophyte.

But, you get to sample a variety of beer during the class and it breaks down to $6.25 per session - and figure you get about a pint of free beer during each class - plus some education. The last class, I believe, poured some 2008 Bourbon County Stout

Republic is a great venue, they've had some great speakers (some better than others).

Though, to be honest, my favorite part is just the beer and the company.

8. shovelfoot

shovelfoot Aspirant (25) Minnesota Aug 17, 2012

I attended the Fall semester and must say as someone with an above average beer knowledge the class still had a ton of new information to offer. The value is exceptional and I had so much fun that I am signed up to do it again this spring.

9. Thanks for the kind words everyone...yeah, we do try and keep this balanced as much as possible and cater to everyone. Our student base consists of those new to beer, as well as highly educated beer enthusiasts and homebrewers, even industry professionals. We sort of run the gamut and we build our curriculum to appeal to all camps. That being said, here is a sneak peek into Week 1...

We kick things off with a discussion on "Collaborations". We're joined by Surly brewmaster Todd Haug to chat about Blakkr and his collab with Three Floyds & Real Ale. Also, 89.3 The Current (BBSU sponsor) and August Schell brewmaster Jace Marti discuss their new project together (The Current beer), and Tom Whisenand of Indeed and Amy Johnson & Jamie Robinson of Northbound Brewpub round out the discussion with their story on how Hot Box came about.

You can expect lots of incredible beer, this week, and every week. Hint, Surly is bringing something very special and unique for Week 1. Hope to see everyone there. We have roughly 15 seats left in both classes. Enroll here if interested: http://betterbeersociety.com/bbsu/

Cheers all - ~Rob

10. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

This was a birthday present from my wife (best birthday, ever!). The classes sound great, but week 1 seems like it will be hard to beat. Can't wait!