Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKArmstrong, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Lagunitas Sucks

54.4%
  2. Hopslam

45.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I haven't had the opportunity to taste either this year. Which one is worth going out of my way for?

2. bld81

bld81 Aficionado (215) Missouri Mar 9, 2009

Go out of your way for the Hopslam. Its release is worth looking forward to each year. Sucks seems to be more widely available, but it should be mentioned its (nearly) half the price of a sixpack of Hopslam in most markets

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I gave my vote to Sucks, 4.47, because I can buy it off the shelf. I loved Hopslam too, 4.55.

Scotchboy, ORod and Eriktheipaman like this.
  4. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I vote for Kuhnhenn's DRIPA.

5. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Even being a homer, I gave my vote to Sucks. I love both of these beers, but I had my first Sucks a couple weeks ago and it blew me away... I love the hop profile of it, and it was nothing of what I expected. I will be buying much of this every year I see it!

6. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

I love'em both! But voted for sucks!

7. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Sucks isn't that hard to go out of your way for—even if you have to trade for it, it should be preeeeeeetty easy to obtain, I'd imagine. So, why not just go for both?

8. I know they are both classified as DIPA's but Hopslam has a 25-30% higher abv than Sucks which makes it a tough comparison. Both great beers but not comparable IMO.

9. HardyA

HardyA Savant (345) Michigan Jan 26, 2013

Hopslam by quite a bit.

kojevergas likes this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

And if abv makes the choice for me, I'll go with the lower abv one. I can drink more at a sitting.;)

szmnnl99 likes this.
  11. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (445) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

I was not impressed with the sucks on tap but when I had an abrasive first it is hard to do better.

Revenant and hardy008 like this.
  12. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Hopslam.. I absolutely love Sucks.. but Hopslam..

13. schillman

schillman Savant (265) New Jersey Oct 7, 2009

I'm not sure how comparable they are...thought they were both fantastic but very different in color and taste

14. schillman

schillman Savant (265) New Jersey Oct 7, 2009

Sorry, just read the ops question. Answer: both.

15. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Slam. Get it while its here. It'll be gone soon. Sucks should be available all year and you can get some later

Cubatobaco likes this.
  16. I never had slam, but I'm going to a tasting today and someone is bringing a few bottles. I can give you an answer later on today. :D

17. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I really like both of them but Hopslam gets my vote.

18. Agree with GoGators's reply above. It's hard for me to consider Sucks, a <8% ABV beer, a DIPA. It seems more like a extra-IPA (to borrow the term from SN).

But hey, it's hard to go wrong with either one - unless you drink them past their prime. You know, like more than a day after bottling.

19. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Sucks available in upstate NY? Haven't seen it on the shelves.

20. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Savant (250) Indiana Mar 13, 2011

I've never had either, but I vote for sucks.

No1Smitty and ggwheeler like this.
  21. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (305) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

I like Sucks more but think this isn't a very fair comparison- if youre looking for maltier, very sweet, high in alcohol, you'll want the massive Hopslam. If you're looking for a less strong, cheaper beer with the superfruity hop profile get Sucks.

If you want a 10% DIPA with honey that's better than Hopslam, go to Greenbush and get you some fresh Brother Ben.

22. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Yep, Hopslam for me.

23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Both are winners for me. Sucks is $7 less than Hopslam though.

24. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (365) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

I almost don't think they should be in the same category. Hopslam is obviously a huge exaggerated DIPA and Sucks, while I love it and it's definitely one of my favorite beers ever, in my opinion I almost do not consider a DIPA. I just don't think the IBU'S or ABV of Sucks really say DIPA. As far as what is a more sessionable beer? I'd go with Sucks cuz if you drink 2 or 3 hopslams you're just gonna be trashed. Sucks is much more mellow and sweet. As far as what has a bigger flavor, Hopslam in my opinion wins there.

1424IpA likes this.
  25. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Sucks was prematurely hailed as a top tier IPA.

Revenant likes this.
  26. I like Lagunitas Sucks better. Both are great though.

27. Madskill

Madskill Savant (290) California Nov 25, 2012

Never had Hopslam but I have had Sucks, so I voted for Sucks!

28. Every Sucks I have is better than the next, and it also made my BMC buddy a believer. So until I get my Hopslam...

29. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I have buyer's remorse: the money I spent on TWO 6-packs of Hopslam could have netted me THREE 6 packs of Sucks.

Buttermilk, ESeab and Shalashaska90 like this.
  30. woodna

woodna Zealot (75) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

Have both in my fridge, so last night I drank them back to back to compare. Wow, very tough call. Both of them are so good but for slightly different reasons. It's a decision I'm glad I don't have to make! If you like IPA's, you can't go wrong with either one. I will say I love the fact that a six of Sucks is way cheaper and will be easily obtained.

31. This year, Hopslam just hasn't done it for me. No doubt, it is amazing still, but it is too malt and honey forward where it was quite bitter in the past. For the price and availability, Sucks just makes sense.

redsand22 likes this.
  32. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

Not even close for me. Used to buy a case of Hopslam every year. Last year I bought one 6-pack, this year nothing.

pitweasel and redsand22 like this.
  33. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I'll do a side by side today and revote (initially went with Hopslam). They're both damn fine.

Sophie's choice?

34. Low information voter

SenorHops, BigMike, hardy008 and 7 others like this.
  35. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Stone Enjoy By

36. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Love them both, but Hopslam wins my vote.

37. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

Why should availability make Sucks any less good?

Just goes to show how high people will rank a beer because it is limited.

38. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Duel rankings should only be allowed after having done blind tasters for the beers in question.

71gto, BigMike and ImJ2x like this.
  39. IIRC, the IBUs of Hop Slam are in the 65-70 range. One of the lowest of all DIPAs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.