1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKArmstrong, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Lagunitas Sucks

54.4%
  2. Hopslam

45.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

And I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you had a decent price on Hopslam and a so-so price on Sucks. May not come as a surprise, but it sounds like people are spending $9-10/ sixer of Sucks on the West Coast and in less expensive markets (I'm anticipating $12/ sixer in upstate NY, last year it was $11-13). And Hopslam goes for, what, about $18/ sixer?

2. fmccormi

Just gimme some Palate Wrecker already, damnit. Still has not landed in upstate NY.

ThatCracker likes this.
  3. Both

4. Deschutes Hop Henge.

EDIT: Though if you want to get technical I suppose Henge would fall into the TIPA category this year.

sacrelicio likes this.
  5. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

Wouldnt call sucks a double either but it is far better than hopslam in my opinion.

6. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

both are great...sucks has a great beer for great value and readily attainable ....hopslam is great beer for not as good value and only slightly harder to attain, but in the hopslam price point I would much rather have surly abrasive. long answer short: sucks over hopslam

7. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

I have reviewed both beers and Hopslam has the better review from me. With that being said....Heady Topper is the real winner.

fmccormi likes this.
  8. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

Sucks all week and twice on sundays.

sacrelicio and pumpkin1 like this.
  9. fmccormi

This. OP, just get yaself some Heady, if you haven't already. Find a VT trader and it shouldn't be so hard to get, probably easier and cheaper to do so than Hopslam.

And just go to a store and buy some Sucks—curious as to why you'd have to go out of your way at all to get it.

10. Hopslam! No Sucks..... No wait, Hopslam. Or maybe Sucks. I'm gonna have to drink them both again and decide later.

11. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

Head Hunter is so much better than either of those. And is only an IPA to boot.

12. Brian14608

Brian14608 Aficionado (125) Florida Sep 15, 2009

Sucks makes me happy all the way around.

13. Both great but my vote goes to the slam!

14. But Bell's says Hopslam is in the upper 60s as well.

15. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Because of ABV, price and availability I gave the slight edge to Sucks.

16. Sucks >hopslam (of course IMO)
    Price
    Availability
    ABV
    Taste

17. dujayhawk

dujayhawk Aficionado (135) Kansas Aug 8, 2011

I like Sucks better, tried Hopslam for the first time this year and if I were to try it blind I swear it was a Pale Ale not a DIPA. Though just my humble opinion.

beercanman likes this.
  18. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Since I'm getting technical, what the crap is a TIPA? Triple IPA?

19. Correct.

20. Yes, which means that both beers have almost identical IBUs.

21. Neither one

22. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I agree with this assessment.

But to address the OP, why decide when you can have both. :)
    [​IMG]

Neorebel, Derek333, x37x and 2 others like this.
  23. Well said!!! That was my arguement 3 years ago when it was one of the many beers compared to PtE. I argued Hopslam moreso needs to be compared to PtY based on ABV as that year PTY was 10.25% if I remember correctly, (every year varies) whereas there really was no comparison. ;-P

OP - I'd rather go with (assuming all are fresh) PtE, PtY, Dreadnaught, Hop Salad, Bad Boy, & Citra. But I'd still prefer fresh SUCKS and Hopslam over Heady all day. Call me crazy, but preference is subjective afterall...

CHEERS!

24. let you know tomorrow...........CAN'T WAIT! (for HopSlam)

btw... Sucks is amazing this year!

25. Hopslam, uh no sucks, uh no heady yeh, pliny wtf there all great i'm oing to the fridge to grab a sculpin.

flayedandskinned likes this.
  26. Had both this week and was much more impressed with sucks.

27. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

Had my first LS this year. We dont get HS in So. Cal but I did trade for some last year and really liked it.Both are world class beers.

Cheers.....

28. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (380) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

I have both chilling a bit to do a blind taste test -- and it will be my first time trying both of these. My wife is about to pour them. I'll get back to you.

29. Never having hopslam, I can't vote.... but the Sucks was 10.99 for a sixer. Gotta like that.

30. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

IMO they are both delicious but different. After doing a back to back I find hopslam to be better balanced and sucks to be more in your face, so I guess it just depends on what you like. For me its sucks all day until double trouble comes out.

BeerMeInStl likes this.
  31. Beat me too it!

yemenmocha likes this.
  32. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (380) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

Hopslam is a wonderfully crafted beer. At over 2% more ABV than Sucks it is fantastic. Not to take away anything from Sucks though. After my first taste I liked Sucks a bit more. But as I continued to drink, the balance and complexity of Hopslam swayed me toward it. Both excellent but Hopslam is the winner for me. But I look forward to getting more Sucks since it is becoming more available.

Neorebel and Ernest_Hooper like this.
  33. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Palate Wrecker. Just because it likes to punch me in the face.

34. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Hopslam, DRIPA, and PtE are top of the list for me. Sucks is a great beer, but can't hold a candle to these three IMO.

35. Seriously?

36. jdhende

jdhende Savant (355) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

Both great beers, but the overall drinkability and price point on Sucks wins it for me. I found a store where I can get 6 packs for $9.50 in Chicago. I will take that any day over the $16-$18 price point for Hopslam.

37. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Both but if i had to pick just one. Sucks, find a single of Hop Slam or like I'm doing this year just going to have it at the various tap releases and that'll do fine by me.

38. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I dont really like Sucks, I'd rather drink just about every other (hoppy) Lagunitas beer than that.

39. Artic Panzer Wolf or Double Dorado as my picks!

40. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

I'd go with Sucks for the above reason. More sessionable. Does it get points for having a better name?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.