1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKArmstrong, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Lagunitas Sucks

54.4%
  2. Hopslam

45.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just did a side by side. Unfortunately, Lagunitas does "suck" when it compares to Hopslam :)
    BigMike, kojevergas and Djsaturn1 like this.
  2. Topher78

Topher78 Savant (305) California Jul 8, 2011

Haven't had the Hopslam yet but this years "Sucks" was awesome!
  3. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

No Hopslam in NYC, but Sucks is about the best (D)IPA I've had when it comes down to considering drinkability, price and complexity. So I can't compare the two but I can sit enjoying my Sucks and keep snatching it up til it's gone. I was a big fan of Enjoy by 12.21.12 but 2.15.13 didn't make it here so haven't had that either. As far as a true DIPA goes, I'm a big fan of Nogne O Two Captains, Brooklyn Blast! and Ruination. Surly doesn't make it out here either.

NYC has a ton of great beer culture, but the whales don't make it out for some reason.
    JxExM likes this.
  4. Bkoop

Bkoop Zealot (75) Iowa Apr 19, 2012

Haven't had Sucks but the fact that anyone voted for it over Hopslam makes me want to seek it out because Hopslam is the Nectar of the Gods!
  5. I am definitely going with Lagunitas. Hopslam did not impress me either time I had it.
  6. Wow. Just looked at the results. Really would have though everyone would have gone for Hopslam. Hype be damned.
  7. rambojr03

rambojr03 Aficionado (120) Iowa Oct 26, 2007

I finally had my first opportunity to have "Hopslam", and on tap no less! :):):) All I can say is "WOW!" Amazing beer, and the establishment I had it at told me they were charged $270 for a Keg. I'm going back tomorrow afternoon to have some more, though I have a feeling the Keg will have run dry by then.;)
  8. I love, love, love Sucks. Its no Hopslam though. Neither of which can eve n be mentioned with Surly Abra...
    MITCHELLMPLS and skinsfan like this.
  9. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

Seek out Hopslam for the experience. Seek out Sucks for the value and sessionability.
    kojevergas, BMitch and flipdog0 like this.
  10. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Sucks by a mile. Hopslam shouldn't even have hops in the name, it's so fricking malty.
  11. Having just had the 2013 Hopslam for the first time, this isn't even close. Sucks blows Hopslam out of the water. I don't know if this batch of Hopslam was actually worse than past years' or if I just don't like it anymore, but Sucks is the beer that's really doing it for me right now. It's especially weird because two years ago, I might've said Hopslam was my favorite beer.
  12. eawolff99

eawolff99 Advocate (560) Colorado May 10, 2010

Just had drafts next to each other...this year's Hopslam is boozy and weak on the hops...really sad, used to LOVE Hopslam... Sucks killed it this year. Part of my *yawn* on both of them this year though, comes from the fact that we've had a couple months of readily accessible Abrasive which was DIVINE this year!!
    MITCHELLMPLS likes this.
  13. Know which is my favorite one.......the next one!
  14. Here I can get a six pack of Hopslam for $19 or TWO six packs of Sucks for $16. Even if the price difference was only a couple bucks, I'd rather have Sucks, honestly.
  15. ianjmiles

ianjmiles Zealot (75) Virginia Jan 19, 2009

I think a better comparo would be Dreadnaught/Arctic Panzer vs. Hopslam, or Hop Stoopid vs. Sucks. Similar price points and ABV's.
    trem0lo likes this.
  16. Good news, I drank a fresh Dreadnaught after the sucks vs hopslam last night. Dreadnaught might have them, maybe later this week I will try again with all 5 that you mentioned. (Even though hop stoopid cant hold a candle to the other 4)
  17. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

I have bottles dated 1/10/13 and a fresh keg dated 12/27/12, blind tasting with friends after work today.
  18. FTFY
  19. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

This is an outstanding IPA.
    Can anyone from Mich (eastside - Macomb/Oakland county) direct me to a store that currently has Sucks? I've never had it and I really want to try it (and contribute to this thread).
    So far though Hopslam is outstanding 15-1 in my opinion (DRIPA is 14-2).
  20. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

I enjoy Hopslam a bit more, but not enough so that I can justify spending six more dollars on a six pack.

Same thing can be said with Darkness and a beer like Founders Imp. Stout. Buy one bottle of Darkness, or TWO 4-pks of Founders. Hmmmm, let me think.....

These are just more examples of why I like craft beer. Show me a expensive, fairly hard to find beer, and there is typically an equally or almost as good example more readily available for much less $
  21. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I am not a huge Hopslam fan, but I had a 1/10/13 bottle last night and liked it WAY better than sucks.
  22. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Dreadnuaght for the WIN!!!
    jdhende likes this.
  23. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

In my mind, as I read it I thought the thread title was silly. I figured no contest. But the poll dang near floored me. I think Hopslam is far and away better than Sucks. But it's not a fair comparison to say they are in the same catagory. Neither are standard DIPAs: Sucks (which I DO really enjoy and plan to continue purchasing) is an IPA (as stated, the IBUs and abv are in the straight up IPA range) whereas Hopslam has the abv but 60-70 IBUs is really on the low scale for DIPAs, plus it has the honey which help further separate it from standard DIPAs.

Now to add to the semi off-topic shouts to other great beers: I absolutely love me some Hopslam but prefer Oracle, Dreadnaught, Heady Topper and Double Jack. If anyone wants to send me some Abrasive, I'd happily judge for myself if I need to join your ranks...
  24. Hopslam is one of the best DIPAs out there. Sucks simply isn't at that level. That having been said, for the price Sucks is hard to beat.
  25. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Gotta give the edge to Hopslam. Its the better tasting beer (both were amazing though). Is it $1 per bottle better? Maybe not.
  26. eawolff99

Guys I drain-poured my batch 11697 Hopslam tonight...horrendous relative to prior years. Sent a note to Bell's as well after having bad glasses of it at 2 separate bars yesterday as well...anyone else observing this?? I couldn't even choke it down
    beercanman and Andygirl like this.
  27. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Yes, not even in the same league.
  28. Sucks has some great hype going for it atm, i really dont consider it a dipa, nor would i take it over scuplin or green flash west coast ipa for the tropical west coast style that it is. Hopslam is a totally different style of beer, cant compair or judge the two beers against each other imo.
  29. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I love Sucks and gave away the Hopslam this year. Even being a Michigan girl, I am bowing to Lagunitas.
  30. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Sucks > Hopslam
  31. alanc

alanc Aficionado (105) California Aug 13, 2009

Alpine 19/10 crushes them all. However Sucks for me.
  32. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

I am not sure it's a batch issue - I just think this is how Hopslam now tastes. I used to wait in anticipation for January every year like a kid waiting for Santa Claus. Now I don't even buy it.
  33. eawolff99

I know -- I so badly want it to taste like it did -- I mean this was abhorrent. I've had it for years -- I remember it being bad in 2011, decent last year and undrinkable so far this year. I really don't want to be done with this former beauty queen -- I'll try one more bottling this year but then RIP Hopslam...
  34. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

I love Lagunitas Sucks (and many other Lagunitas brews) but it is Hopslam by a hair. Because I'm too lazy to change my avatar.
    fmccormi and bifrost17 like this.
  35. The Sucks I had was way off. A tad of vomit flavor. Hopslam was stellar as usual.
  36. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I can't believe Hopslam is losing in the poll. That stuff is just so drinkable for such a high ABV beer. Love it. Although these beers are kind of different. So I can see it being a tough choice for some. Not for me, Hopslam was the clear winner.
  37. I'm surprised its that close. Hopslam is just so sweet and overpowers the hops.
  38. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Sucks, by a mile. Hopslam is good, not $18.00 a sixer good though.
  39. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Last years hopslam was great this years is different. Not as hoppy as I remember. Anyone else get this? Did a side by side and sucks is my pick. Hopslam was very disappointing this year.
    EyePeeAyBryan and eawolff99 like this.
  40. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Hopslam is so over hyped IMO. Voted for Sucks.
    beerFool28607 and eawolff99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.