1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKArmstrong, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Lagunitas Sucks

54.4%
  2. Hopslam

45.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopslam, but I do love Sucks too. Stone Enjoy By is also near the top of the list.

2. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Personally, I enjoyed Hopslam over Sucks. Obviously both are extremely tasty though.

3. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

I feel the same way, I did get one sixer for 15.99 and after having two I've not bought any more, I've hunted for it out of habit, but walk away with something different
    Now on the Sucks which for me was harder to find this year, it's good and I'll drink it, but it doesn't drink like a DIPA to me. I think it's a IPA

4. I'll take any Hill Farmstead DIPA/TIPA (ie - Abner or Ephraim) over these 2 any day.

fmccormi likes this.
  5. Icarus

Icarus Savant (250) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

This year Hopslam falls short in this battle (seems off), I'll take Sucks.

6. Hopslam, but not by a wide margin. This year for the money I could buy 2 6ers of Sucks or 1 of Hopslam. I bought 2 of Sucks and no Hopslam, and don't feel that I am missing out.

7. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Enjoyed Hopslam a lot more this year.

8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

That had a lot to do with the question....

9. Beers of the World in Henrietta had quite a bit of it yesterday.

10. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Had Sucks last night on draft, and already had a 6er of this years hopslam.

Its an easy one for me to say: Sucks.

FD: First time having Sucks, so maybe the new shock to my palate factor pushed this one towards Sucks, but I also think that Hopslam is losing some of its allure that it had for me in previous years. Palates and preferences change, life is fun.

11. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Both great beers, but for the price, Sucks.

12. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Hopslam all the way.

Cheers

13. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I can pick up a six pack of sucks for 10 bucks at a grocery store. So, as far as the convenience factor goes sucks wins. But when it comes to an all around better beer, give me some hopslam!

14. C20Percent

C20Percent Savant (325) Virginia Aug 24, 2011

This. And, it wasn't even close for me. Sucks has more flavor; better aromas -- everything. Hopslam for me, this year, is a heavy bodied mildly-hoppy DIPA.

15. Finished off my sixer of Sucks last week. Sixer of Hopslam is on deck. Considering my Sucks was like $12 and Hopslam was $19.29... Hopslam sure as hell better blow Sucks out of the water. It better not even be close or Bell's can suck a D, that's all I have to say.

16. Lagunitas Sucks isn't even in the same league as hopslam, hopslam is 10x better

17. Sucks is amazing, cheap, and widely available year round. I haven't had Hopslam yet, but I'd say since it's so limited go buy a 6-pack and enjoy it. Then throughout the year when you're craving a great DIPA you can go grab Sucks quite easily =)

P.S. Absolutely positively do NOT pass up any opportunity to get your hands on Stone Enjoy By! Hands down the best DIPA in the world IMO! Frighteningly drinkable at 9.4%!!

18. ?

If they were the same price I'd say Sucks by a mile! The fact that hopslam is so expensive (or sucks is so cheap, depending on how you look at it) only re-affirms that feeling.

19. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I had a bottle of the 12-21-12 and it was amazing. The best DIPA I've had. Unfortunately MO isn't getting any of the 02-15-13.

I'll be doing another head-2-head comparison tonight of Hopslam and Sucks with my last bottle of Sucks. So far I give Hopslam the edge but I'm not sure if it's enough to make up for the price difference.

20. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

All this talk about Enjoy By . . . how many other folks are in a market where you'll probably never see a release of Enjoy By? (I'm in upstate NY, and highly doubt it'll get released around here anytime soon.)

21. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Sucks is more balanced and therefore to me, more boring.
    Hopslam seems to have shitload more simcoe and citra smell this year and it is way in your face with the hops. I think it's way better than Sucks.
    But of course it costs a ton more and also has more boose so those are negatives. And Lagunitas is the coolest brewery in the world i think.
    Both great beers but if i could only have one it would be Hopslam

22. I've had sucks,but never had hopslam. is hopslam worth the 2 hour drive to PA to pick up a couple sixers?? let me know BAs

23. Need to drink more to make an accurate assessment, Stay tuned...

24. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

hey, thanks a lot. will check out tonight. (call first)

Mediczod likes this.
  25. Just had them both side by side. Both great beers but Sucks tastes like a single IPA next to Hopslam.

26. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I'm hoping to get me sum sucks this weekend in Chicago.

Hopslam this year is best i've had. fresh and fine!

27. My order:

Heady > Hopslam > Abrasive > Pliny > and . . . no where to be found, not even on the radar Sucks.

28. Fresh Sucks takes the cake in my book. I do love me some Hopslam don't get me wrong but you can't drink too many of them without getting tanked. Sucks is great. I love that beer sooo much!

29. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Both, by a wide margin!

30. Have a case of both in the fridge. Both excellent beers. Biggest difference for me is that I was able to get a case of Sucks (twice) from my local shop for about $42 a case while I had to drive 90 minutes each way for a $72 case of Hopslam.

31. I live in Southeast Pa and was amazed to come across a case of Enjoy by 2-15-13 when I went into buy my case of Sucks a few weeks back. For only $72 I couldn't pass it up. It's amazing.

fmccormi likes this.
  32. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I just can't love Hopslam anymore. It's the only DIPA that truly shows the lupulin threshold shift for me. Sucks all the way.

33. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

After drinking at least half a case of both Sucks & Hopslam I have changed my mind:

I really am not crazy about either. This entire last few days I realized that 4 out of five times I grab a fresh Hop Notch IPA (Which is at 7.30% ABV and 82 IBUs) I like Hop Notch better than both the Sucks & Hopslam right now...and it's cheaper then both of them.

The problem is that the liquor store next to my office has had Hopslam there every day for the past two weeks. They keep getting it again and again. So I first bought a case...then each time I'm there I end up saying "effff it" and buy another sixer of hopslam. Now I am pissed that I wasted so much money and have so much hopslam. I guess thats a good problem to have? If anyone lives in Chicago/Chicagoland and has the opposite problem feel free to hit me up.

34. fmccormi

Damn. I wonder which markets will see the next release, maybe there'll be one within reasonable driving distance from me.

35. Well included in the case was an Instagram detail sheet for retailers to discuss with their customers. According to the detail sheet the markets are: Arizona, Idaho, New Mexico, Oregon, Virginia, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Sacramento and Wash DC.

fmccormi likes this.
  36. fmccormi

Yeah, that's for the current release, I believe. Just wondering about the next one, if and when that will be and where it'll go to.

37. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

Enjoy by 02-15-13...now that is something I never see and would be pumped to try!!!!! Anyone ever see it in chicago?

38. I've had three on that list, HT, Hopslam and Pliny, and while I'd definitely put HT at the front of the list, too, I'd put Sucks well ahead of Hopslam and Pliny.

39. Planning on doing a blind tasting of these tomorrow, so we'll see. Want to have at least one more person taste them blindly with me, as I really do think hype and past experiences play a huge roll in this sort of thing. All are pretty fresh, with the Double Jack being the oldest at a little over a month old. The rest are more like three or four weeks old.

[​IMG]

EDIT: And both Sucks and Hopslam were super easy to get here and I can still get both.

40. I'm unsure if I can even get Sucks, but Hopslam was as easy as pie to get. Who knows, eastern PA is a strange place. Also, I had Sucks last year and it was meh. I'm not sure how fresh it was, but I blame Lagunitas for that. I have no idea when it was bottled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.