1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKArmstrong, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Lagunitas Sucks

54.4%
  2. Hopslam

45.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

They have bottle dates on everything they put into bottles. You need to do a little bit of (extraordinarily basic) math to decode it, but it's all there. It's in black ink, usually on the shoulder or neck of the bottle, and the first three digits indicate the day of the year that it was bottled (i.e., "042 . . ." = 42nd day of the year, so February 11). I added an ellipsis because there's a few other numbers afterwards, the meaning of which I'm not sure how to decode but I'm almost positive it refers to batch information.

2. Man, I have never seen that on a Lagunitas bottle. Is that recent? I haven't bought any since the beginning of last year (Sucks in January). The only time I bought Lagunitas IPA I drainpoured it after one sip, Hop Stoopid is pretty good but I don't buy it over other beers I can get, etc. I might buy Sucks if I ever see it soon and give it a second chance.

3. They made Sucks available year round starting this year, and it is pretty easy to find, at least in my experience.

4. This is a beautiful thing! I am jealous right now!

KevinMc79 likes this.
  5. They sold a FULL CASE of Enjoy By?! Mother effer! In NJ every store has had a 1-2 bottle limit the two times it's been here! I almost traveled down to the Philly area to try to find some of this release, but decided it wouldn't be worth the drive for only a bottle or two!

6. Thanks, I thought about adding a few more, but wanted to stick to stuff I could get fairly fresh and didn't want to get too crazy and confused with a dozen different beers.

As for Enjoy By, I shopped at a couple places with no bottle limits and a couple with. Had I wanted to, I could've easily gotten a couple cases along with some growlers/pints on tap. I think I just got lucky, though. But I still limited myself to seven bottles.

7. There was a picture on Bells facebook page of Vinnie and Natalie Cilurzo chugging Hopslam at the Younger release. Don't know the backstory, but it made me chuckle.

8. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Not sure how recent it is, but it's been there as long as I've been aware of bottle dating and freshness, which is to say at least a couple of years.

9. Yeah I went in and asked if they had Sucks. They grabbed me one and the owner said, "Hey want a case of Stone Enjoy By? Just got it an hour ago, won't be here long." I asked how much, he said "$72 a case" I said, "Toss it in there." haha. It was the only case he received. Right place at the right time.

10. Giving the two choices, Hopslam . But best DIPA I've had this year was Stone's "Enjoy By".

SadMachine likes this.
  11. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Love them both, but it has to be Sucks by value. Sucks beats all in the DIPA enjoyment per $/ounce.

12. Thread drift...I love BS Vol.4! Nice Avatar!

13. Yep, gotta agree. It is epic world class of the style.

14. Drinking a Hopslam right now...not blown away Bell's, not blown away. This does not bode well for the surcharge Bell's, tisk tisk.
    Honestly, id rather have a Sculpin. Or hell, Schlafly TIPA. Or hell, Uinta Hop Notch.
    $19.29?! You gotta be kidding me right?
    Never again.

15. Before this year i would have taken Hopslam over pretty much any other beer.:D Now, i would take pretty much any other beer over Hopslam.:(

lokieman and bound4er like this.
  16. trem0lo

trem0lo Aficionado (125) Ohio Oct 3, 2005

People who are complaining about the price of Hopslam... At least they're not selling it in bombers and charging $10 for it. Price per ounce it's a much better value than many DIPAs.

17. I agree.when deciding which beer taste better,price shouldn't matter.that said,sucks all day

18. You lucky bastard!
    P.S. If you'd be willing to trade any bottles I'd be happy to oblige =)

19. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Am I the only one that thinks that Sucks is just plain good? Don't get me wrong it's a tasty IPA, but I drank it back to back with White Rajah, and I preferred the WR for sure. I'd give Sucks a 4.25 and Slam a 4.5 personally.

20. plemori

plemori Zealot (80) Wisconsin Apr 18, 2012

i really cant even believe that this is up for debate.... hopslam, hands down.

21. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (420) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

I've not hard Hopslam yet, but I trued Sucks for the first time last night and didn't like it at all.

22. I can't believe it either cuz sucks is way better.

zomg we disagreee

JuniperJesus likes this.
  23. Why should it be either or? Go out of your way for both! C'mon man!

24. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I was underwhelmed by the hopslam I had on tap last night as well as the 3 bottles I have had so far. In previous years I remember it blowing me away, but the Lagunitas still does, so I say Sucks wins for me.

When I say underwhelmed I dont mean it was bad. It was still VERY good, just not as great as Sucks.

25. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

If you are looking for an easier drinking experience with a ton of fresh citrus and grapfuit flavor, then sucks is your beer. If you want a more intense and higher ABV experience with a sweeter flavor(because of honey) with a lot of pine and heavier malt background then Hopslam is the beast you crave. I personally prefer Sucks, I was blown away by it(had it for the first tome like a month ago). This is only my opinion, and I recommend trying both if you can get them, both great, but very different.

26. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

Hopslam is nice and clean, but I think I like Sucks better. It's a little brighter and has more of a foundation. Kind of listening to music with a sub-woofer. This week also had me drinking Zombie Dust, Gandhi Bot and Firestone Double Jack as well as Wachusette Larry, All way up there in the DIPA realm. I still think Suck has them all beat and,..... I can just go down the street the shitty packy and get some easy as pie.

sloany likes this.
  27. jbck109

Are you insane?!? JK, to each their own. I am saddened that you are unable to enjoy such a delicious brew. Are you an IPA fan in general?

28. Preluderl

No, that's the issue I'm just not that much of an IPA guy. Most love Bell's Two Hearted and I can't stand it either. More for you guys!

29. Might be willing to do that. Unfortunately a few friends have gotten engaged in the past month so I've had to give out a couple but if you offer something interesting I'm all for it. PM me.

30. Are you sure you're a WVU fan? jk

31. can't get hopslam so by default the winner is dun dun dun duh duhhhh

sucks!

32. This.

33. I don't think people who haven't tried both hopslam and sucks should be voting in this pole... probably seeing an overinflation of sucks in the results because of people who can't access hopslam.

trem0lo likes this.
  34. Sorry but having just drank both, the honey gives Hopslam an extra dimension that is missing from Sucks for the win! That said, Sucks is still an upper echelon beer. I love both!

35. Again. And while I have a case of both...I was leaning towards Suck based on more than taste but I had Hopslam on draft tonight....started leaning towards Hopslam....but then I remembered I haven't had Sucks on tap. I don't know. If you're lucky enough to get your hands on either just consider yourself lucky.

YogiBeer likes this.
  36. all is fair in love, war, & beer

37. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I'm going to get some Sucks tomorrow.
    I'm assuming Whole foods is stocked with it?!

38. Preluderl

haha Just more of a Stout and Belgian guy.

HokiesandBeer likes this.
  39. sloany

sloany Aficionado (125) Minnesota Jan 13, 2013

Surly Abrasive>Sucks>Hopslam

40. jbck109

So it seems that you dont like the very citrus forward, west coast styles. Try some that favor more of the piney flavors with a big malt back bone. Ruination, and maybe hopslam will be more in your taste. There are may others, but I just cant think of them right now. Maybe someone else can list a few. Have you liked an IPA yet? It is also possible that you just dont like them at all, like me with Belgian quads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.