1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BKArmstrong, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Better DIPA this year? Lagunitas Sucks or Hopslam

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Lagunitas Sucks

54.4%
  2. Hopslam

45.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plemori

plemori Zealot (80) Wisconsin Apr 18, 2012

whoa....down boy.

2. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

You think... hop notch... wait... what... I cant even...

3. sponas

sponas Zealot (75) Arizona Jul 27, 2009

Sucks is a fine extra IPA but it isn't even in the same league with Hopslam. It is less than half the price but still feel that Hopslam is the better value---it's just special.

4. um, sir you forget Abrasive, Heady, On The Wings of Armageddon, and Lake Erie Monster.

5. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Just want to update what I said earlier. I'm drinking a Hopslam right now, and have to say that Sucks wins it this year. Suck had such a huge aroma compared to this batch of Hopslam.

6. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

Been waiting for these to hit the shelves in south Fla, seeing as though they are so highly rated and I had not experienced either, I picked up a sixer of both HopSlam and Sucks and did a blind taste test, It was not even close.... Sucks! This brew has just replaced Two Hearted and Jai Alai as my daily go-to.

7. Ironically I had the same thought as I bought them both at the same time.
    ..., and in addition I had draft Hopslam from our local beer garden. I would rate them this way. First is Hoplsam fresh from the tap....had a strong aroma of Honey at first before the hop flowers took over, completely different from my bottle experiance in which the hop aroma predominated from the start. Second is the Lagunitas sucks, Third but still very good is the Hopslam bottle.

8. I'm not sure that this is the case but don't know enough about it to argue :) We had a case at our super bowl party yesterday, and I remember that the bottles all say "LIMITED RELEASE" in rather large lettering. I remember the talk about putting it in 32 ounce bottles, but didn't think that had happened yet..

9. I'm not saying Hop Notch is better. They are different flavor profiles. Just that its a solid IPA and taking money into consideration, it makes more sense.

YogiBeer likes this.
  10. I hope to god that Sucks goes year round and it will be my new "go to" if it does. I have now had both beers and I prefer Sucks but think they are both glorious in their own way. First I agree with other BA's that it's not apples to apples as Sucks is an IPA IMO. Sucks is very balanced, light, and fruity but packs a nice punch and Hopslam is a big, chewy, boozy dipa that straddles the line of balance but never crosses it. I'm happy that I still have more of both in my beer fridge and look forward to this weekend!

11. It's funny I got a case of each back to back last week, Sucks first then Hopslam. Hopslam is always one of my favorites. I was blown away by Sucks again this year, so was excited to crack the first Hopslam. While very good, I thought it was off a little bit based on years past. I immediately thought and commented to a buddy that I thought Sucks was better than Hopslam this year. Both are great and I am happy to have them in my fridge, but Sucks gets the edge IMO.

12. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

Wow, you were even able quantify how much better Hopslam is over Sucks! Bravo.

13. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

My love for Hopslam began last year when a friend of mine tipped me off on getting a sixer. I picked up a sixer of Lagunitas Sucks last weekend (much, much easier to get) and as good as it was, Hopslam is still the winner in my book. I agree with others that Sucks is more of an IPA vs. a DIPA, but both are good in their own way. I love Lagunitas beers, but I gotta say that more and more of my go-to's and recommendations these days are Bell's and Founder's beers...

14. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

15. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I will go with sucks. I had both last night and very good on both sides but sucks is better to me.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  16. Maharaja

YogiBeer likes this.
  17. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

Lagunitas Sucks!..and so does Primus!(those that get it)

18. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I've had Sucks, Hopslam, and Mercenary recently, and for me:

Mercenary>>Hopslam>Sucks

19. For the price no better value than sucks! Not even close

20. Hopslam in a landslide!

21. And any Alpine IPA is better than both. (And I LOVE Sucks, best 6 pack IPA I've ever got out here on the West Coast)

22. Did this tasting last night and some of the results were surprising, others weren't.

[​IMG]

Had a friend pour these beers, place the bottles behind them like this, snap this photo, then set the bottles to the side. I then tasted and ranked them and looked at the photo later to see what was what. Here's how they stacked up for me:

Firestone Walker Double Jack / Lagunitas Sucks
    Stone Enjoy By / La Cumbre Elevated
    -
    -
    Odell Myrcenary - Bell's Hopslam

Basically I thought Double Jack and Sucks were the best, with Enjoy By and Elevated close behind. Myrcenary and Hopslam were both a fair distance back with Hopslam probably having the worst showing (especially considering the price).

I wasn't surprised where by where I put Hopslam, but I was surprised by where I put Double Jack and Enjoy By. I would've guessed they'd be swapped in the lineup. Just goes to show that because I can get Double Jack easily all the time, that I tend to pass it by and forget it and that's exactly why I included it and Myrcenary in this group.

BTW, the mix of all six was pretty damn tasty, haha.

beerFool28607 and SadMachine like this.
  23. Hopslam, for sure. I actually even like Lagunitas Maximus better than Sucks.

24. Is it because the Sucks was 1 week fresh and the Hopslam was 6 weeks old?

25. No, Bell's staggered the release of Hopslam so that it got everywhere fresh. They were all very close in freshness and I only chose fresh beers. The bottle/can dates, from left to right, are:

Enjoy By: 01/11/13
    Elevated: 01/17/13
    Myrcenary: 01/09/13 (I believe, this is the only one I'm not 100% on... might have been a little fresher)
    Double Jack: 12/26/13
    Sucks: 01/20/13
    Hopslam: 01/10/13

I definitely tried to be as fair as possible and I had no agenda when ranking them, or anything.

26. Hopslam used to be the king, now with so many great cheaper hoppy beers coming out, I spend way less on hopslam!

27. Just got both! Can't wait to try them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.