Beverage Air BM23 (old style) Temps

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by troeglodyte, Jan 19, 2013.

1. I have been getting some good information on this great forum. I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to:

I have an old, but excellent condition BM23 (woodie). All is spotless and seems to work like a champ. I have it all cleaned and ready and have been using to store my bottled craft beers. There is about a case in there now. My question is - is it normal for temp swings from 37F-44F? I have been watching for the past day and that is what is occurring. Is because there is not enough mass (no keg) to retain, or ??

She is currently dialed into about 4 3/4 on the thermostat.

Thanks!

Ted

2. Where are you measuring the temp? Air temps can be all over the place. Where is the thermostat's temperature sensor? Put a thermometer in a glass of water. That may help set your mind at ease.

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (450) New York Sep 1, 2004

the thermostat is designed to cut in and cut out within a fairly wide range. 7 degrees is nothing to be concerned about. Mike is right of course, measure the liquid temp and you'll find the temperature is going to be quite stable.

if the cut in cut out is too narrow the compressor cycles frequently. start up amps can be 3x running amps (the lights dim a bit?) and burns up the motor prematurely.
    if you find the beer temps are not stable you can install an outboard temperature controller.
    bottom line, probably not something to worry about it.
    Cheers.

4. doing the water test now. thanks for the tips.

5. Again, thanks for the tips. With thermostat at 5, the water is rock steady at 41F. I think all is good.

6. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (570) California Jan 8, 2004

Mike, Bill et al above have given sound advice. The air temp in my 1996 BM-23 will swing 12 degrees, but the liquid temp shows nary a move.

7. PortLargo

PortLargo Advocate (540) Florida Oct 19, 2012 Verified

To expand on the expert advice given above: Your fridge/kegerator/freezer will be more efficient when it is full. Ideally you want a lot of cold material (liquid is good, slow transfer of heat) but with just enough space for the air to circulate freely.

The compressor has only one setting . . . full speed. So it is always putting out the maximum about of heat transfer. Air temp is an unimportant number, temp of your beer is what you are after and it moves slowly. This is true in your fridge, freezer, keezer, home, car, et al. Caveat: there are some high end units that have variable compressor speeds, but you normally don't see this in units used for beer.

I converted an upright freezer for a beer cellar (don't laugh, in south Florida it is always hot). I set the temp controller at 58 with a differential of +7. My beer maintains a constant 60 temp as measured by a thermometer placed in water. So the air temp swings 7 degrees but the liquid temp moves less than one degree, just as the OP described above.

It is easiest to measure air temp and most people get hung up on this. Temperature of your beer is the real goal.

8. :) And your making me thirsty!! Thanks for all the tips/info. The ol' Woody is ready to serve!

9. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (380) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

man you need to get a keg in there and serve some draft.