1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BevMo! comes to Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Nov 14, 2012.

1. distantmantra and Aleforme like this.
  2. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (320) Washington Nov 26, 2008

I've yet to go to a Bevmo or even a Total Wine because I would rather support my local shops like you mentioned. I don't care if I spend maybe 10% or even 20% more at the local bottle shops because I get better service and in most cases, they know me. I like going in and being able to "talk beer". Granted there are a couple local bottle shops I think could do better in overall customer service but I have yet to go into a shop with clueless employees.

I have been seriously thinking about opening a bottle shop of my own in the next 8 to 12 months in the Seattle area as there are a few areas in town that aren't really supported by a convenient local bottle shop. My biggest concern now would be if a BevMo or Total Wine opened up nearby. Not sure it still makes sense. I guess it might be best to wait BevMo and Total Wine out a bit to see where they open up. It seems they tend to be in the bigger mainstreem shopping areas and not in the middle of neighborhoods like say Beer Junction, Bottleworks, Chucks, Full Throttle, etc. Because of this, I still think there is room for a couple more bottle shops in Seattle.

Back to the OP, hopefully everyone here supports their locallly owned bottle shop. I know it comes down to $$$ for many so I can't blame them. But, if you can, support your neighbors who own these shops instead of some big out of state corporation.

dirtylou likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I'll continue to support whatever stores have the beer I'm looking for at a reasonable price—which basically means most of them, at one point or another. What can I say, I'm a whore. The Northgate location will make BevMo! a convenient option.

bifrost17 likes this.
  4. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

These big box stores don't appeal to me whatsoever when it comes to beer. Having lived in numerous markets where these kinds of stores are in the marketplace, I can assure you they aren't worth your time or money.

I am intrigued by the liquor options though. Seattle, and Washington in general, is the worst liquor (read: bourbon, scotch) marketplace I have seen anywhere in the United States. A lot of this relates to legislation, and now the transition period en route to privatized sales. I know it takes time, but NOBODY has stepped up and fulfilled this market demand yet. If nothing else, BevMo will bring selection.

5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Not to change the subject, but that bums me out a little bit. Before I got into craft beer I was a lot more interested in single-malt scotch. And I thought I'd tried a few good ones (Laphroiag 10, Lagavulin, Balvenie Double Wood are a few personal favorites). Now I'm wondering if I even scratched the surface.

6. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Let's put it this way - you may not want to enter a high-end liquor vendor outside of Washington unless you have a handkerchief handy. I assume this is going to improve in the coming year though... Macleods in Ballard has a great scotch selection and there are some other spots with great bourbon selections (Canon, etc), but most of this stuff isn't available in stores and our pricing is depressing.

7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Shrug. At least based on my experiences in California with BevMo, I'm not really sure BevMo will compete very well with some of the better craft beer outlets in the area. The one's in California are now almost like a Trader Joe's speciality store, except with an emphasis on alcoholic beverages (increasingly, they offer certain gourmet food iterms, along with wine, beer and spirits). While they have a fairly decent selection of craft beer as well, I know I've generally been disappointed by what I found on the shelf, and also disappointed in the prices they have (they sometimes run specials on certain beers that can be fairly attractive, but normal mark-ups at BevMo have always struck me as high). Also, it's not unusual to see an ocean of some fairly obscure brands on the shelf, some of which just sits and sits and sits there. So I'm always apprehensive when I buy any beer there, as there's no telling how long the stuff has been sitting out (and invariably, there's no one in the store who can tell me). Also, typically they have one person in the store who is fairly knowledgeable about wine and beer... if he or she isn't there on a given day, the normal staff generally know next to nothing and can't help you.

Most BevMo's do have a pretty decent selection of spirits (which is the only reason I ever shop at the one's in NorCal - I still haven't stopped by the one in Tacoma, and can't say I have a burning desire to), but the beer selection is fair at best. If you take a look at the BA reviews for most of the BevMo's in California, you'll see that most of them haven't gotten very positive reviews. I think there's a good reason for that.

I don't think the better craft beer stores in Seattle have much to worry about...

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  8. This is what I have found to be the best thing about BevMo, it's certainly not their beer selection/prices.

9. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (550) Washington Dec 13, 2011

In Bellevue, Total Wine > Bevmo, no contest