1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bevmo

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bweinst, May 23, 2012.

1. bweinst

bweinst Aficionado (165) Washington Mar 31, 2005

They are replacing the Northgate Liquor Store. What do people from elsewhere know about this store?

2. lymph

lymph Aficionado (180) California May 10, 2010

If this is the same Bevmo as California, it is part of a liqour store chain that sells beer, wine, and hard alcohol. Overall, it is underwhelming, but they sometimes have specials that make stopping worthwhile. They also have breweries that brew unremarkable beers exclusively for them.

3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I was at a Bevmo in the San Diego area earlier this year. What struck me was how much of their inventory was kept unrefrigerated, on room-temp shelves. I don't think I bought anything there, went next door to a mom/pop store that had a bunch of Alpine beer I was looking for. However, I think they also have an online system where you can place your order for pickup, which would be convenient if the inventory is kept up-to-date in real time.

4. I have been to a couple and they do vary from store to store, but the quality isn't the greatest.

5. They were my regular stop when I lived in CA but then again they were the best thing around for 1.5 hours in any direction. They are all over the place. My "local" store in San Luis Obispo always had a very good stock for the Central Coast. Row after row, few coolers pluss glassware and all. 1000+ beers at minimum. However, the 1+ offs were rare. As Draheim mentioned and I pointed out lots of exposed stock with minimal coolers. The BEVMO's I went to in LA had all of their Alesmith, Bruery and Lost Abbey goods just hanging around on the shelf.