1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beware of Cody Brewing

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Psychmusic, Mar 6, 2013.

1. I'm going to try keep this story brief so that people will actually read it, so here's the abbreviated version of why you should avoid supporting Cody Brewing.

A family friend worked as an intern for them, and although she was told it was a paid position she never recieved money. They've done this to other interns in the past, where they just put off paying them and essentially get free labor until the intern quits. They're scamming good hard working college students, so don't buy their beer.

Here's the full story:

A family friend of mine who is a college senior was recently very excited to start an internship with Cody Brewing company. She helped with marketing and event planning, and represented the brewery at a few beer shows. In total, she put in at least 60 hours, working part time over a month.

After the first two weeks, she approached her boss and asked when she might expect to be paid, as the internship had been advertised as a paid position. He told her next week. The next week she asked again, and was told the same thing. When she wasn't paid the following week, she told them that she didn't feel comfortable continuing until she had been paid. After contacting them repeatedly over the next few weeks, she hired a lawyer who sent a letter to the company informing them that they were legally obligated to pay, but they have remained recalcitrant. The lawyer also investigated, and found that Cody Brewing has repeatedly hired interns for paid positions and never paid them at all. They just assume that no intern will have the time or money to take legal action. Fortunately, my friend WILL be suing for the lost wages (the lawyer is another friend, so it's pro bono).

As anyone who has tried Cody's beer would probably tell you, their offerings are mediocre at best. It's not worth supporting this company by buying their beer knowing they're taking advantage of young enthusiastic students. BM me and I'm happy to match any one of their offerings with a higher quality, local product that is made by a company that actually supports their employees.

2. that's some bad times, broseph. Word on the street is that this goes on at a few NE breweries.

I can think of one other in particular that works the 'interns' to the bone doing all sorts of things unrelated to brewing.

3. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Continue avoiding a no-name brewery that I've never tasted before? Caaaaaan do!

But in all seriousness, I live in the suburbs around Boston and look at every label I can just out of curiosity and have never seen this one. Hell, I've started even noting where Mass breweries like Night Shift are now available

Centennial likes this.
  4. I saw them in stores for the first time last year, but they seem to be pretty widely available in MA now and RI even (at least where I shop). I think all the better that you haven't heard of them, now if you see their beers you won't even be tempted. In all honesty I've seriously disliked everything I've had from them so it isn't worth it anyway.

5. They are in Amesbury - dirtballs

6. Gmr75

Gmr75 Savant (380) Connecticut Apr 30, 2002

I had tried their Wheelers Brown Ale a few months back as it was a cheap bomber, and figured why not give it a go - Had all the charm and finesse of a poorly exectuted homebrew. On top of that it was showing signs of infection setting in, as it had the continuous foam snake thing happening when opening it.

So yeah, just another reason to write them off.

7. Me too, also I stopped reading @ recalcitrant

biglobo8971 likes this.
  8. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Sounds like its time for a call to the Department of Labor. My guess is that they would investigate something like this.

5thOhio likes this.
  9. at some point i realized i was fading from forum post to essay so i went back and wrote the summary to avoid wasting time... although i was pretty proud of myself when i wrote recalcitrant...

woosterbill likes this.
  10. Did she sign any forms to set up payment? A paid internship is insanely rare around here.

11. Yes she filled out payroll forms and everything. Big kicker is that they suggested the internship would probably lead to a job, so she not only lost the money, but the time she could've used looking for more legit opportunities.

12. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

An unpaid internship that doesn't run afoul of minimum wage laws is even rarer.

sleepydave, cbeer88 and tehzachatak like this.
  13. This is diverging off topic, but not paying interns is actually illegal. I know it is done, and not enforced, but it is illegal.

From NYT: "The Labor Department says it is cracking down on firms that fail to pay interns properly and expanding efforts to educate companies, colleges and students on the law regarding internships. “If you’re a for-profit employer or you want to pursue an internship with a for-profit employer, there aren’t going to be many circumstances where you can have an internship and not be paid and still be in compliance with the law,” said Nancy J. Leppink, the acting director of the department’s wage and hour division.

14. Well that's pretty awful. Love to see their response on here. Hopefully BA does not invite them to any more fests until this is cleaned up.

15. And I thought Hypnotic Tonic would be the last reason i needed to avoid these ass clowns

16. At $2 a bomber, these dudes must be hurtin for cash. I mean, those Mr Beer Kits they're using to brew aren't cheap.

Newbiebeer, 5thOhio and Gmr75 like this.
  17. benbking

benbking Savant (285) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

for what it's worth: I've never had any of their beers. Who is Cody, and why is he brewing?
    But seriously my friend has two internships right now in the Sports field. He does get paid, but he says it doesn't cover his gas. I'm sure the $ amount in question would be negligible. But eff them anyway right?

18. I think she's out over $600, which isn't all that much in the grand scheme of a real job, but it's more than I want to lose for no reason at all

19. jomobono

jomobono Savant (400) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

I had the Carrot Cake Porter.....drain pour.

20. I tried SOS and spit out the sip, metallic nastiness

21. I had their No Name IPA a few months back, and it was not good at all. They need to rename themselves to No Name Brewing because it does not look like there is much going for them.

22. kleo

kleo Aficionado (210) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2009

That's like saying "I tried something called gator piss and it wasn't good."

ElGallo, jomobono and Jwale73 like this.
  23. Tlo

Tlo Zealot (95) Maine Feb 26, 2007

Where did you see $2 Bombers?

24. The sad thing is some in the industry and the greater beer community actually seems to encourage this sort of illegal labor practice - just look at all the "How do I break into brewing?" threads in which the most common answers suggest one first "volunteer".

"Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, employees may not volunteer services to for-profit private sector employers."--- US Dept. of Labor

Got to wonder, too, what these breweries' insurance companies or OSHA would think of these "volunteer" employees.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  25. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

i smell a slander lawsuit here

26. It's only slander if it's untrue. And if it's untrue, this would be a particularly odd topic to post.

27. Not to be too much of a contrarian, but do you really think any sane person would spend thousands on deposition fees to have an internet post taken down?

28. Where is Night Shift available????

Also, I've had the No Name IPA. It was a bit below average but not terrible.

29. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

I've seen Night Shift bottles at Redstone's in Stoneham and The Wine Gallery in Brookline.

Ganglani and Stockfan42 like this.
  30. Awesome! I've been trying to find they're beer for some time now. Redstone's is close enough, I'll have to swing by at some point.

Thanks!

Ganglani likes this.
  31. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

it happened on an a guitar site i frequent - and just the threat of a lawsuit would probably do the trick.

i already hate this brewery, but really I don't know them or the girl making the allegations

32. You should check out the brewery itself sometime. You can try everything before you make your decision. I don't know where in Mass you are coming from, but Everett isn't too far away from Stoneham.

33. I used to live right up the street from them in Everett. I went to the Idle Hands brewery almost every time they had a growler fill day. I believe they are right next door right?

jtdolla911 likes this.
  34. This, they have free samples of all their beers and you can get growlers or bottles while visiting. Also places like Kappy's and Ball Square Fine Wines carry them.

35. Yes same building, Night shift is open 5-9 on weekdays and 12-5 on Saturday.

36. Yes. You can almost touch one front door from the other.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  37. I prefer Idle Hands, but Night Shift can certainly hold their own.

38. Great! I didn't know they're hours. Are they strictly growlers there or can you buy bottles too?

39. Bottles as well. They have glasses and clothing.

Stockfan42 likes this.
  40. Bottles and growlers, bottles are 10 or 12 depending the beer. Growlers are $5 for the glass and $10/15 or 12/17 for fils depending which size you get.

Stockfan42 likes this.