1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beware the "Vintage" beer shelf

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by kscaldef, Dec 20, 2012.

1. The new tanks are approximately 5,241,600 oz (assuming that it's filled with all drinkable beer and it's a straight 31.5 gallons per barrel) for our numbers types out there.

However, I'm pretty sure Deschutes identified the barrels that caused the infection and got rid of them, so it's unlikely all the Abyss at the time was blended together.
  2. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

The infection issues in the 2009 Abyss weren't discovered until late Spring of 2010, so it was a little too late for the 2009 vintage. But they did test all of their barrels going into 2010. They also started pasturizing the beer to be certain future batches wouldn't be infected.

There were massive threads on BA about this issue. I'm kind of surprised there's even a question about 2009 Abyss at this point. Do a google search on it. Plenty of blog posts and threads on other discussion boards about 2009 Abyss and Deschute's responses.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

True, but people have short memories. I'm sure that's what the store in question the OP referrenced is counting on.
  4. Dude, what are you talking about? I already stated that I had four bottles and drank all of them way back when. I noticed no such infection in the bottles I drank. I have nothing to return.
  5. Why are your panties in a wad? I don't think anyone is disputing the infamous 09 Abyss infection. Just some of us are stating that we got bottles that didn't seem to have an infection.
  6. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Just checked and panties aren't in a wad. Clearly I've hit a nerve though. I don't think everyone realizes that 2009 was infected. There are a lot of new craft beer drinkers and as JohnMichaelsen said, people have short memories.

Cheers.
  7. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
  8. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I find it difficult to believe that there's enough alcohol in Abyss to kill the bacteria. Especially with all that residual sugar (bacteria food!) in there. Or were you being sarcastic?
  9. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Savant (400) Colorado Dec 15, 2009

I just opened an '09 Abyss 5 minutes ago, with fingers and toes crossed, but alas...infected! Now 0-2 on the '09 vintage!
  10. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

I have not been on BA since 09, so i was not around during the time these massive threads were around. Thus, why would ii have googled "09 Abyss infection" if i was blissfully unaware of it?
  11. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

No, certainly it's not reasonable to expect everyone to have memorized every infected beer out there, which is why a reputable beer shop shouldn't be putting something out on the shelf, and advertising it as part of their holiday vintage specials, that they know damn well the brewery admitted a problem and offered to buy-back.
  12. CA_Infidel2o9

Indeed, i wouldn't have thought twice, before this thread, and swooped on it. You should make the owner look like a dick and ask him why he's sellin it.
  13. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

this dude makes me laugh
    boMD likes this.
  14. CA_Infidel2o9

Lol awesome
  15. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

$18?!? He got hosed.
  16. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

"Don't fuckin' charge a buncha bullshit, for a buncha BULLshit!!!" That line's pretty money though, gotta give it up. ;)
    boMD likes this.
  17. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

That speaker on the right is pretty sweet
  18. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I don't understand the spark this conversation created either. Abyss and Mirror Mirror '09 were both acknowledged by Deschutes as having big infection issues. People like to argue with sensory experts and microbiologists I guess.
  19. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Well, for example, there are still people who deny that the Holocaust ever happened, so there's that.
  20. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Did the Third Reich admit to it before the deniers started yapping?

Tasteless conversation, btw.
  21. draheim

No offense intended. I was just using a (tasteless? inappropriate?) analogy that demonstrates how, for whatever reason, some people will always deny obvious, incontrivertible facts.
    lurchingbeast likes this.
  22. Kelton

Kelton Aficionado (140) Oregon Sep 17, 2010

Hahaha! Wow, in 24 hours this thread went from getting hosed for vintage beers at local shops, to a serious discussion about 09 Abyss issues, and then to Nazis. My day is complete.
    Rutager, boMD and Dogfishipas like this.
  23. draheim

You should see what happens when the subject is a lack of rare beers from Washington.
    muchloveforhops3 and oregone like this.
  24. oregone

oregone Savant (365) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Beautiful things?
  25. Yeah, there really needs to be a thread for that.
    guajolote, libbey and draheim like this.
  26. that idea has already been waxed over.
  27. What I don't understand is this response? Who is arguing against the fact that there were big infection issues back in aught-9? I just re-read the thread again and can't find any deniers. What gives?
  28. CA_Infidel2o9

It was more like a conversation about how bad the infection was and whether or not ALL 09s were infected.
    BuckeyeOne likes this.
  29. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Popped an '09 last night. It was definitely "off" but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. That being said, true Abyss is a thing of beauty so in comparison to the real deal it was quite a letdown.