1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BGE table with kegerator

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by joshuacavett, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Has anyone built a big green egg table with a kegerator/tap built into it? Is it ok for keg to be near BGE (doesn't get too hot on outside)? Please post pics or plans if you have. Thanks!
  2. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (295) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Not sure why you would want to do that, but look around for a used "Bubba Keg BBQ", a lot cheaper and made of metal instead of ceramic which gives you some options for mounting something on it. The old ones even had a trailer hitch,... I suppose all you would need then is a 12v > 110 converter.

[​IMG]
  3. I have an extra large bge already & I am about to build a table for it but I was wanting to maybe put a kegerator next to it or a fridge.
  4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

an outdoor kegerator requires alot more planning and specific equipment. anything that is weather exposed should be stainless. there are outdoor refrigerator units that could be converted, something like a coke or pepsi vending machine. the compressor is heavy duty. plus attempting to keep beer at 38 degrees next to a 700 degree bbq, in the Texas heat, that might be a challenge.

outdoor appliances are amazingly expensive. anything can be built with time and money. and a Grainger catalog.
    Cheers.
    IceAce likes this.
  5. ne0m00re

ne0m00re Savant (380) Ohio Feb 19, 2008

I didn't even know there was such a thing as the Big Green Egg. I would try looking up information on outdoor kitchens; a lot of these include grills or smokers mounted in counters with refrigerators, sinks, beer taps... you name it. Some of the builds are just massive in scale (and expensive), but they might give you an idea of what kind of designs and materials other people are using for outdoor refrigeration.
    I'm assuming you're building a BGE table out of wood on casters or something like that (Google searched...)? You could probably mount a modified outdoor-approved refrigerator cabinet on one, it will just be expensive new (at least $800 for a 5 cubic ft fridge) and you might have to resize you plans to allow room for a refrigerator. Installing taps on the table should be straight-forward. I wouldn't worry too much about the proximity to the BGE as long as you have a couple feet of counter space as a buffer. Let us know how it works out if you try to go this route!