BIAB question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ajaxivan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. We've been doing the brew in a bag thing now for 3-4 brews and im pleased with the results thus far. The one thing im not sure about though is when i check the temp of the mash should i check the water (the outside of the bag) or the grains in the bag? Being that the grains are condensed the temp tends to be on the low side. So far we have been checking the temp on the outside of the bag and i make sure to stir the bag every so often. Seems to be working. Thoughts?

2. I would want to know what temp the grains are at. That is the location where the starch is being broken down into maltose. I would think that is where it would be important for the enzymes to be at the right temp, not in the water outside of the bag.

3. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) New York Mar 24, 2011

we usually check the middle but keep the grains moving every so often, just so they dont mash at like a 10 degree difference. the trouble is, if you check the outside, you're getting the side of the kettle, which is going to be a bit different than the temp that the grains are actually at.