1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BIAB strainer/colander

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pointyskull, Feb 18, 2013.

1. As I finalize my jump to BIAB I find myself looking for a large strainer/colander to place the bag in to allow draining.

I have a 15 gal kettle (about 15 1/2" across) and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I'm having problems finding one large/heavy enough....

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I don't know where you can find a strainer that would fit, but I've heard some people build pulleys to hoist their bags above the kettle, and let the wort drain through the bag into the kettle.

Either way though, I don't see how BIAB can get wort that's as clear as with a proper vorlauf. Not that you asked.

3. A guy in my homebrew club that does BIAB puts a grill grate over his kettle to allow the grain bag to drain before his boil. Got his on Amazon with a diameter just bigger than the kettle's.

pointyskull likes this.
  4. I like that idea....

5. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I bought the one below (or at least a similar model) a while back. Similar to what skipjack17 said above, I put this over a bucket (fits perfectly on a Homers/OSH bucket), and then remove grain bag from mash and place on top of bucket. I like draining the bag in a bucket as opposed to a kettle to allow me to hit my pre-boil target volume exactly (I can add as much or as little as I want from the bucket).

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com...rce=googleps&gclid=CMzgxp-YwLUCFSSCQgodNgoAQw

jmich24 and pointyskull like this.
  6. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

I bought a 14 gallon hdpe food grade bucket and would place upside down glass beer mugs in the bottom of it to make a false bottom. Transfer the bag into the bucket and let it sit on the beer mugs. After it drains I would remove the bag and mugs then pour the run off collected back into the boil kettle. The bucket was expensive, but I knew that I would be moving from 5 gallon BIAB to 10 gallon 3 kettle batches eventually and that I was going to start to make my own RO water. So the bucket is now a greater RO water reservoir.

You could also look up "stainless steel steamer basket" on amazon and you'll find baskets with round holes used for turkey friers I believe. You can buy one that fits inside of your kettle and rig a pully to lift it.