Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Big Bad Baptist

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by tigernipples, Jan 13, 2013.

1. tigernipples

tigernipples Savant (290) New Jersey Nov 21, 2009 Verified

For those who've cellared this, how does this do?
    I can pick up a few more bottles if I want from a store. Wondering if the whiskey/chocolate notes come out more as the coffee fades? Any experience ?

2. I don't have an answer, but I would be interested in this, too. I had it for the first time recently. The coffee was really great, but really dominant. I also hoped for a bit more whiskey flavor.

3. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (245) New York Mar 12, 2010

I had a batch one back in October or November and I didn't think it held up at all.

4. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Advocate (715) Arizona Dec 20, 2011 Verified

I had plenty of #2 last winter and it was great. I drank my last bottle of #2 a few months ago and didn't care for how much sweeter it seemed to have gotten.

5. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I had a batch #1 in late November, it was a muddled mess. The coffee had become the predominant flavor, but it had lost the fresh taste and was now equal to week old truck stop coffee. It also had become quite sweet. This stuff is really good in the Fresh to Six Months window.

6. tigernipples

tigernipples Savant (290) New Jersey Nov 21, 2009 Verified

Thanks.
    Wasn't planning on aging very long. Maybe a year. This is years batch.

7. Just popped a batch #1 and Batch #9 in the fridge for drinking at some point this week. I also have a batch #3 and #5 sitting around so based on the above comments, I will likely go through those sooner rather than later.

8. Drank a #2 about a month ago and it was rockin'! It's turned into a chocolate bomb, which honestly I did not mind at all! I love aging this brew, but I think that batch variations means that you need to try a specific batch to see how it is going to age, I have had completely different brews with each batch that I have aged, some were sweeter, some thinned out and some the whiskey never mellowed into the brew. I'll let ya' know about this years in about 8 months!

9. Well, cracked them both and I prefer batch 1 to batch 9. More chocolate and barrel notes in batch 1, more hoppy and coffee in batch 9. Both are great though in my opinion. My other bottles will be aging a bit longer though.

10. Had a #2 about two months ago. My fav. batch/aging time yet.

dogphishead likes this.
  11. Most of the time with flavors such as coffee or chocolate, I like em fresh, but that doesn't always hold true. I tend to like the advice of Mr. Bassett, though ;)

winbassett likes this.