1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Big Beer losing further ground to Craft. Ads less effective

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Zhiguli, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

more here
    http://adage.com/article/news/a-b-inbev-millercoors-losing-share-fix/244178/

luwak, vbre23, JohnnyMc and 1 other person like this.
  2. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

call me when craft hits 20% market share.:D

3. Zhiguli

In some regions I'm sure it has. Shoot, in PDX it's got to be 50 by now.

luwak and Chris-MOC9 like this.
  4. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

PDX is? (Portland)? or yea airport code I get it. got any facts on that??? beer facts.
    jess you got any numbers on Portland, ore?

I could care less about how much beer the big 3 are selling is just my point. local is one thing, national is a whole new ball game.

5. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (590) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

These sorts of articles make me smile so hard...like this: :D

MikeG304, Premo88 and creepinjeeper like this.
  6. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I'd recommend wholesalers educate their staff about better beer rather than dismissing it as "one of those things that's taking market share from Bud Light/Lite". (the better distributors already are)

7. Zhiguli

yes Portland. No i'm just guessing based on what I've seen there.

Chris-MOC9 likes this.
  8. Zhiguli

Costco is slowly picking up more and more craft beers. My totally mainstream boss goes for Firestone Walker variety packs there all the time now.

9. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

It's not like Lite is going to disappear, but it's good to see people expanding their drinking choices.

10. Zhiguli

My freaking dad who only considers things like Beck's to be beer finally started to branch out. Dude called me from costco asking for suggestion.. i told him to try soleil from FW and he likes it

Givemebeer likes this.
  11. I agree with you completely. Light beer has a place in the market for sure, but if BMC wants to stay at the top, eventually they have to brew good beer like their competitors.

StuartCarter likes this.
  12. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

all they will start doing now is buying up the breweries..

13. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

you can't buy something that is not for sale....

14. kudos

kudos Initiate (0) Florida Aug 16, 2013

Money talks.

A lot of breweries already sell % of their brewery to BMC for distribution.

15. You know craft is worrying them when Blue Moon is doing all those ads about how craft they are.

And then there's Rolling Rock Amber...Rolling Rock Amber!?

regularjohn, jcb7472, charlzm and 2 others like this.
  16. Sierra Nevada, Boston Beer Company, and Uinta come to mind immediately.

17. Don't forget Third Shift Amber Lager.

18. StuartCarter

how many? Several dozen?

How many breweries are there now? 2500 or so?

19. kudos

So what? Do you think it will be an over night thing? Think long term and don't be stupid. Just because the closest brewery to you that makes 3 beers for whatever city you're in doesn't sell out doesn't mean the medium - large ones wont.

20. Good riddance to lite beer.

But what sales? And I wonder about what possible influence the course of bottle service as it has coursed through the system in the years that this devious system of ssaholery and easy money for the establishements has been more a part of the overall market, which is also pretty much that period the charts represent.

21. StuartCarter

I think you're the stupid one - if something is not for sale, IT CANNOT BE BOUGHT.

22. Got any proof that Anheuser-Busch or MillerCoors owns a percentage of Sierra Nevada, BBC or Unita?

While all 3 breweries may use independently-owned AB or MC wholesale distributors, that in no way means those breweries, or any other of the hundreds of other US breweries distributed in a certain region an AB or MC house, are partially owned by either of the big brewers.

olekern, Griggsy, Treyliff and 15 others like this.
  23. Possibly, but not all breweries are for sale. They will continue to make offers I am sure, and they'll probably get some more takers, maybe even another big taker like Goose Island. However in response to the popularity of craft, they will most likely try harder to limit craft breweries' ability to distribute (applying pressure to keep craft competitors off of shelves/tap handles wherever they can). They won't replace that craft with macro, because that'll send the beer geeks elsewhere (they know we're not going back to yellow-fizzy stuff). But they will replace it with the craft they own, or the faux craft they make. For example, at your local store where you once saw Harpoon UFO you'll now see Goose Island 312.

24. Only the word of an AB rep.

25. I think what he's getting at is that they might be for sale.

26. StuartCarter

why?

27. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (380) Italy Apr 19, 2009

Not a bad motivation for the big boys to start considering making some good beer. I like to support small local breweries when I can, but ultimately I'm after getting my hands on something tasty that doesn't break the bank.

28. Sierra Nevada is 100% owned by Ken Grossman.

29. I don't know, Goose Island took the cash, others might do the same.

30. StuartCarter

Goose Island over-expanded and got into a cash crunch. I am just wondering why dudeman is so adamant that every single other craft brewery will make the same mistake, you know?

5thOhio likes this.
  31. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

Every person has a price point

Zhiguli likes this.
  32. StuartCarter

what's your price for your child?

33. The value of a child monetarily is in the red, so I wouldn't try to bid for a child. $250k better spent on a ferrari is what I say.

34. kudos

Ever heard of a hostile takeover? You obviously never learned about the business world. Stick to brewing I guess.

35. Demer

Demer Aficionado (245) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Craft isn't the biggest threat to BMC the rise of spirits is.

Ranbot and bbeane like this.
  36. kudos

Yeah. Especially all those terribly flavored (and produced) vodka's.

Words of wisdom: They put flavoring in vodka so people don't notice what crappy vodka it actually is.

37. Dracarys

Dracarys Savant (325) Alabama May 28, 2013

I know we live in a plutocracy, but I would imagine doing a hostile takeover of a for-profit company that isn't publicly traded would be a little difficult to do.

38. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I can honestly see the big guys buying up some more craft breweries soon.

Hdredfern likes this.
  39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Hostile takeovers only work on publically traded companies... You literally begin buying stock until you have a majority share of the company/board.

There are TWO public beer companies: Boston Beer Co. & Craft Beer Alliance. AB holds a minority in CBA already.

Choices are limited in that direction... their only hope if they wanna go the "buy the competition" route is really an acquisition.

40. TommyLiam

TommyLiam Savant (265) Arizona Jun 10, 2013

The big boys will adjust. Most likely they'll diversify their product portfolio; more mid and premium range product at higher price points. Some of the best brewers in the world work for Inbev and SAB, it's not outside their capability.

A hostile take over requires a company be publicly traded and have controlling share of stock available for purchase. Stick to internet trolling, I guess.