1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Big rapids bottle shops

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raczkowski, Jan 11, 2013.

1. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

Have a guy from my work staying in this city Tuesday with nothing to do so I am sending him on a beer run to haul back to Florida. I've looked here for stores but can't gauge what's available etc. looking for hopslam and anything else that is on the shelf. I would say black note but sure it's not gonna be on the shelf. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. I don't think you'll find much in Big Rapids. If your friend is driving then I suggest that he stop in Grand Rapids on the way back to Florida. There are several good stores there that are not too far from the highway, depending on the route being taken through town. Siciliano's is the most popular, but Martha's Vineyard, International Beverage and GB Russo's are also good, and each of these is listed in the BA Places section.

Hopslam should be around for a while. Black Note??? Maybe and maybe not; can't gauge how much went into distro. Not likely in Big Rapids though.

What other styles do you like? Anything from Bell's, Founders, Arcadia, Dark Horse, Saugatuck, Brewery Vivant (Belgian-inspired stuff) and New Holland are going to be good selections. Some Greenbush beers are starting to show up in stores, and their stuff is good too.

3. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

If you can make him run over to Ludington (about 45-60min west) there is an excellent store. Grand Rapids, then you will be close to Kzoo(Bell's) or Mashall (Dark Horse) depending how he goes back. If he's going to the panhandle your trip will be totally different than if he's hitting tampa. If he's coming though via Detroit don't forget Kuhnenn.

4. The only decent bottle shop (that I'm aware of) in Big Rapids is Grunst Brothers on State st. They have a decent selection and at times have the "hard to find" beers. I've found BCBS, and Founder's Backstage series among others there. May be a long shot for Black Note, but worth a try.

Also have him check out Crankers Brewery, Blue Cow and the Gate (decent selection on tap) if he's looking for local beer to try.

5. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Stopped in at Grunst Bros today. They're getting Black Note tomorrow (Friday 18th).