1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Big Sky (area) suggestions

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by PaulMcConnell, Jan 11, 2013.

1. I'll be in Big Sky for a week without a car, anyone have recommendations for places to pick up decent beer in the area?

Heard there's not much nightlife, so I'm looking forward to enjoying some good beers in my room after long days on the slopes.

I saw the general Montana thread and it looks like Big Sky Brewery isn't too far away, but I'm staying at the base of the mountain. Does anyone know if the shuttle drops off near the Brewery?

Area bottle shops/liquor stores would also be helpful. Thanks!

2. RWNewhouse

RWNewhouse Savant (280) Montana Feb 14, 2011

If you are staying at Big Sky, as in the ski resort south of Bozeman, you won't at all be near Big Sky Brewery (which is about 3.5 hours west in Missoula). Your best bet would be to get into Bozeman if you can and hit up a place like the Bozeman Co-op, World Market, or even Roseauer's. If you want to hit up a brewery, there are several in/near Bozeman: 406 Brewing, Montana Ale Works, Bozeman Brewing. Have fun!

3. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

RWNewhouse is dead on. The COOP is nice, but at last check, they did not like people breaking up 6-packs. Roseauers however does not mind.

Montana Ale Works typically has a pretty badass selection of MT beers, but I find their food to be very pricey for what is pretty average bar food.

Bozeman Brewing has nice brews occasionally.

Lone Peak Brewing is right at the base of the hill, less than a mile off the main highway and is worth checking out.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16816

Also, if you are not familiar, you should become familiar with Montana's brewery and taproom laws... They are pretty funky that seem foreign to most visitors, but seem to work for the populace.

4. By staying at the "base" of the Mountain are you referring to the Mountain Village at the base of the slopes or the Meadows down at the bottom of the mountain? As John notes, Lone Peak Brewing is at the Meadows and is well worth a stop. Choppers Pub is also in the Meadows area and has a good number of taps. The Hungry Moose Market in the Meadows has some decent six packs and bombers, though there's a limited selection.

Up at the Mountain Village there's even more of a limited selection. You'll find a couple of Lone Peak taps at Whiskey Jacks and a couple of other bars, but not much else. If you're flying into Bozeman, John and Ryan have it right and I'll add Heeb's Grocery as having some interesting choices from time to time. Coincidentally, I'll be in Big Sky at the end of next week.

Alan.

5. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Was just there two weeks ago. Along with Lone Peak Brewing, check out The Cave down in the meadows. It's right near the Hungry Moose, but it is has more of a beer/spirits focus and typically carries a few goodies you won't find at the HM.

As an aside, I thought Lone Peak had stepped things up noticeably since I visited last year.

6. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

I stayed at the Yellowstone Club in Big Sky over the summer and my wife and I dug Lone Peak quite a bit. They also had free Skee Ball and shuffle board which was fun as hell.

Have fun! Love Montana so damn much...

7. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm looking forward to checking out the local selection.

I had meant Lone Peak Brewery when I said Big Sky, we're staying at the base of the mountain so that's why I asked about the shuttle to get to the Meadows.

I'm glad to hear the good talk about Lone Peak, I love shuffleboard and even played in a skeeball league here in NYC, so it's right up my alley.

RWNewhouse likes this.