1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Big Sky Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by GFG, Jan 21, 2013.

1. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I was interested trying to see what people around the area think of Big Sky. I bought their sampler in ND a couple weeks ago and it was my first time having any of their beers minus Moose Drool. I personally found it to be some of the worst beer I've ever had, but I know everyone has their own opinions and I'd really like to hear them. Moose Drool was terrible in a bottle, but it is good on tap. The only beer I found to be okay in the pack was the Powder Hound. What are considered the best beers by Big Sky?

2. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

Olde blue hair and Ivan the terrible. Amazing beers. Your beers were probably old and light struck.

Or maybe their regular line up just isn't that great. Never had the regular stuff.

hardy008 likes this.
  3. will1256

will1256 Savant (410) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I second Olde Bluehair, and personally I enjoy Moose Drool as well. Have only tried the other basic offerings once or twice, so can't comment on those.

4. their Kriek is one of the worst beers I have ever drank.

5. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Shitty thing is they don't ship anything to the eastern side of ND except their sampler, Moose Drool and Trout Slayer. At least I've never seen any others here and it's one of the couple largest cities in ND. Their Big Sky IPA was in the sampler too and I love IPAs but was very underwhelmed by that one as well. Ivan the Terrible sounds really good though.

6. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,290) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Used to like/love them, but a lot their stuff seems to sit around shelves . Their hoppy stuff doesn't hold up well with time at all to be sure.

7. I have not had many of their beers. Moose Drool is pretty good for a brown ale.

8. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Im a fan of their IPA and brown ale. Especially from the can. Ivan the Terrible is really good as well.

9. TomClem

TomClem Savant (290) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

Ivan the Terrible is wonderful, but hard to get. I've found their standard lineup to be pretty standard when fresh. Certainly haven't had an experience similar to yours.

10. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Despite having a soft spot for Big Sky Brewing, I have to second this. Just an abomination.

11. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (790) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

I like the IPA

12. Ivan the terrible - very good, Big Sky IPA- good+, in a pinch- trout slayer or moose drool

13. printer1

printer1 Savant (285) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

The IPA is underrated. One of my favorites. Check the best by date on the bottle neck though.

sacrelicio likes this.
  14. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (275) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

They had a really good Gueuze at ABR last year

15. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (665) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Trying a Big Sky IPA for the first time right now. I would buy this again.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  16. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

They made Bottleworks XI but I haven't tried it yet. I was able to pick up two Ivans but I haven't had that either. I've seen the Kriek sitting around, glad I didn't pick that up.

17. do you like 10% ABV cherry life savers cough syrup? if so, you will love the kriek.

GFG likes this.
  18. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (825) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Was this a collaboration with Luden's???

Philly82785 and minnesotaryan like this.
  19. Philly82785

I'll have to let you know how the kriek aged. I should be hosting a sour tasting the next couple months. I'm pretty sure i bought it a year or 2 ago.

20. I can bring other sours.

21. Philly82785

I dont know if I'll need them, I have 15-20 different sours. I havent quite decided which ones I'll taste out yet. Thanks I'll keep that in mind but I'm not sure if I'll need more though.