1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Big Texas Beer Fest 2013

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by mattisloco, Jan 23, 2013.

1. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Big Texas Beer Fest 2013

The event is finally posted to BA, link above. Between that link and the website I don't think much more needs to be said other than who's going?

I went VIP last year, thought it was a great value and I highly recommend. I probably won't be able to go VIP this year due to a prior commitment I have that morning... However if a majority of y'all are going VIP I could probably piss and moan my way out and go VIP. Someone force my hand here?

From what I've seen on facebook Chad and Nellie fully expect this event to sellout, I'd recommend you buy tickets as soon as possible. No joke, get to talking to your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or all three and buy before you miss out.

Who's going and are your going VIP or general admission?

Drink Up,
    -Matt
  2. I hope to make it down from Oklahoma for the event. I would plan to go GA though.
    ExperimentalAles and mattisloco like this.
  3. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I see it says you can purchase an extra sampling card, but it doesn't state how many extras. Anyone know?
  4. mattisloco

I believe you can purchase as many as you'd like... within reason. I'll tell you though, 2 tasting cards was plenty for me last year. I'm sure Chad (thirdeye11) will chime in at some point on this thread.
    willandperry likes this.
  5. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

You can purchase as many as you like. As long as you're not intoxicated and our servers can continue to serve you safely, you're able to keep sampling.
    codybear127 and UHCougar12 like this.
  6. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

We're looking forward to it again this year!
  7. mattisloco

This is the reason I am thinking of making my brother angry and purchasing VIP. I had a blast with Ron there last year.
  8. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Trying to figure out finances unfortunately. First world problems
  9. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Thanks for the info. I hope to make it up to this this year.
  10. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Stop trading for a week. You're welcome ;)
  11. Haven't decided yet. This will be the first year I'll be liberated from school to go but I'll wait until I see more of a brewery list to see if it's worth $35. Personally I don't see a reason to pay $35 for 24oz of beers I can get locally at the store. I know there will be some special releases but at this point I don't know what they are or whether there will be enough that I can realistically expect to capture some of them. I dunno, the list for 2012 looked like a few TX breweries and a lot of imports I can get at most beer stores in the area.
    MackayClanBrewin likes this.
  12. H0rnedFr0gs

The beer itself was worth it last year (keep in mind that another 12oz only brings your total to $37). I had plenty of access to one offs and unique beers from Real Ale, Deep Ellum firkins, and new JK beers.

Based on the success last year I expect more unique offerings and better support from established brewers. Add GI, FW, and perhaps Founders to the mix it might be a great opportunity to try a ton of new stuff at the GA price.

Perhaps Chad you can address some of the issues in both obtaining one offs but also a working list of beers this far out. Fair to say the only question in my mind is VIP or GA...I wouldn't miss it altogether
  13. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Aficionado (150) Texas Dec 7, 2012

Additional sample cards (12 X 2.0 oz.) are only $2!
  14. H0rnedFr0gs

Anyone know if open containers are permitted in the Fair Park grounds? Would be nice to have a group of VIP BA's (aren't we all) to pop a couple bottles before we go in.
  15. Yeah but you've already paid $35 for the first 24oz. I'm not trying to drag anybody into a debate over the merits of beer fests in general but for me personally I don't really care about the bands or meeting people who may or may not work for the breweries on the other side of the taps. I'd be going to hang out with my friends and enjoy good beer. I already have a handle on the friends, just waiting to see if it's worth $35 to access the available beers. Otherwise I can skip waiting in line all day and find a bar with a cask, buy lots of beers to take home and enjoy, etc.
  16. cfh64

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick but it sounds like you may just not like beer fests in general. To me, part of the fun of beer fests is talking to the people who work for the breweries, it is trying new beers and revisiting beers I've already had, it is meeting new people. I'm glad you "have a handle on the friends", most of us do but its still nice to meet new people. Ie. The tasting we just had at Craft and Growler wasn't all about the beer (at least for me) it was more about meeting others.

I understand $35 is pricey but you're only spending an extra $2 for 24 more oz, I believe. Go to any bar and you won't be able to sample as much variety without paying more than that. You say you can buy lots of beers to take home and enjoy. How many beers are you going to be able to take home without spending more than $35? Also, think about how much you tip at a bar (hopefully) after buying just a couple of beers and you're already spending quite a bit of cash.

I do understand lines suck. I've never been to this event but from pretty much everyone I talked to it was extremely well run last year with some lines but minimal compared to other beer fests. Again, more power to you if you don't want to go but maybe beer fests just aren't your thing.
  17. coldriver

coldriver Savant (395) Texas Jul 13, 2007

I partially disagree here - the line to get in sucked. But the beer lines last year were a blast - I talked to so many cool beer loving folks that I sometimes wished the lines were longer. Not to mention that I really benefited from the pacing...

If you're trying to quanitify beer fest value in cost per oz terms I'd suggest picking up a 12 pack of SNPA for $10.99 and sitting at home in front of the TV. But if hanging out drinking beer with 6000 fun (mostly) people who love beer as much as you do seems like it possibly could be a good time, you might give this event a try! I'm going VIP this year!
    JJFoodie, thirdeye11 and cfh64 like this.
  18. kcbaby

kcbaby Savant (260) Massachusetts Jun 30, 2010

This is as much a beer event as it is a festival; that is, you must make a value judgment regarding how much you like social events with beer-compatible people. If very little, then it isn't worth the price - drink at home. If ypu do, then it's a great frickin' deal. Hell, there's no way that events like the one that happened this past weekend could without some history of gathering together (and BA).

Or: you could volunteer. I know Chad wouldn't mind having the help, and it is a lot of fun. Though I must confess that I bought a VIP ticket for this year.
  19. cfh64

Disagree? You must think this is Beer Advocate, no disagreeing allowed!

Once you mention it, I think I did hear something about the line to get in but it was their first year so I'm sure they are working hard to improve that and any other small areas that needed improvement. I even think Chad addressed this after last years festival.
    blatherbeard, air and raffy313 like this.
  20. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I am looking forward to this. I don't know whether I can make it or not but my girlfriends birthday is April 10th and she said she wanted to go when I mentioned it to her just now. Its just too far away to know what I will have going on.
  21. cfh64

and believe me, I understand where some people are coming from. I dislike crowds, lines, etc. For the most part I sit at home or keep things on a "small" scale with the exceptions being beer fests and concerts. Hell, I can save alot of money as well (granted it cost more just for shipping to drink the beers I have) by sitting at home instead of going to a beer fest. I can probably also drink more beers at home at that I've never tried. As I mentioned, I like revisiting beers I haven't had in awhile or trying new ones without having to buy a six pack or even a single for that matter. I also enjoy running into familiar faces and meeting new ones. To each their own.
  22. thirdeye11

One thing I know, is that this event, and any event for that matter, will not be for everyone. We try to please as many people as possible, and if our Yelp reviews, professionally written reviews, and general fan reviews are any indication, we did a reasonable job of making a lot of people happy. Our end goal was to grow the craft beer space. I don't know if we had an impact, but I think we did and I'm proud of that fact. Our Yelp reviews (compared to other festivals in Texas) rank at 4.5 stars overall, and at least one other festival I know of in Texas averages 1.5 stars.

I knew that if someone else (who wasn't a craft beer person) created a beer festival, they'd fuck it up. My wife and I decided not to let that happen.

Think you'll be drinking the same beer you can get at any Spec's, local bar, or other festival? I can assure you that you won't. Want a beer list? Everyone does. The brewers (for the most part) won't even tell me what they'll have because they A) don't know what will be ready by then and B) don't want to make promises if they won't 100% be met. They might tell me some lies if they didn't know me, but I know most of the brewers in this state, and most of the reps that represent almost every brand in this state. If you're waiting for a beer list, that's fine. We'll try to publish it as soon as we can. My guess is that it will be published 3-4 days ahead of the fest. Even the biggest, more tenured beer festival in the country (Great American Beer Festival) doesn't publish their beer list until about 24 hours before the first session. It's a big undertaking, but we'll do our best. While the list of beers I have been provided thus far is small, the quality and uniqueness is incredible.

We've sold a ridiculous amount of tickets already, and I can personally promise you that the beer list will be insanely good. I don't know when the event will sell out, the only thing I can guarantee you is that it will. We sold out our first year handily, and our ticket sales are at least 45 days ahead of last year's pace.

If any festival is going to get good beer, it's going to be ours. Trust me or don't, I'd love to have more people from BA there than anywhere else, but until you go, don't judge.

That is all.

Cheers,
    Chad
  23. thirdeye11

We learned a lot about getting people in the door. How's this for improvement:

* No wristbands for the 4,000+ General Admission attendees, this should significantly speed up the process.
    * Double the entry security personnel.
    * Double the amount of ticket scanners.
    * Switching from camera-based scanners to laser based, which are much quicker.

While I can't guarantee you'll be in the door in 5 minutes, we kept tabs on how long the line was from the very back to the entry doors, and it never eclipsed 35 minutes. Most of the day it stayed around 20-25. Long, yes, but sort of expected at beer festivals. I think once inside though, very few beer lines were unmanageable.
    ExperimentalAles and cfh64 like this.
  24. thirdeye11

City of Dallas has an open container law, which basically means you can't. Fair Park is considered a public park also, so I wouldn't recommend this. Craft and Growler would be the place to do this and it's just across the street. Ride the DART rail down and plan your attack accordingly. :)
  25. Really looking forward to this. Can't buy my ticket for another week though. Better not sell out! Haha I doubt that'll happen but I worry about some things too much.
    thirdeye11 likes this.
  26. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

At the Austin Beer Fest last year (also a first year event) the line was probably close to 60 minutes just to get in, so if your worst was 35, and you've made steps to make it even better, that's fantastic! There will always be lines at festivals, but it sounds like Chad is on top of it and doing what it takes to limit them as much as possible. Good luck with the event!
    blatherbeard and thirdeye11 like this.
  27. thirdeye11

That event happened exactly 7 days before ours, and it was a first year event as well. The morning that happened, I was having breakfast with my wife, reading angry tweets, and absolutely AWFUL accounts of what was going on there. I was maybe SLIGHTLY worried at that point, but knew we'd planned better than that. Needless to say, we never experienced anything like what they did. We also don't do this as our full time jobs, and value our personal reputations. Let's just say I'd like to be able to drink craft beer around this town for the foreseeable future :) Thanks for the kind words Kevin!
  28. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Austin Beer Fest: what a piece of shit.

We did go to the Texas Craft Brewers Festival this year, which was great. Sorry I can't make it to this one, I hear it's great!
  29. channels321

channels321 Savant (265) Texas Apr 16, 2012

But if you were VIP you got unlimited samples of beers in the VIP tent(clown shoes clementine), along with some awesome free food(movie theater nachos). Yea horrible experience at this festival, lucky for me I did not have to pay to get in, unlucky for me I drove up from SA and wasted time and gas.
  30. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I seem to remember getting a groupon for that festival. Definitely didn't pay full price (thank god).

It was way more trouble than it was worth. We just ended up going to the Draught House after like 45 minutes of that bullshit.
  31. Coming down from Oklahoma again this year. Last year was pretty great. I'm sure this year will be better.

I also have to give you guys props for having it at a transit-friendly location. One less thing to worry about.
    thirdeye11 likes this.
  32. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I think the key difference is that this festival is being organized by someone who actually loves craft beer, and wants to create the best experience possible for other craft beer lovers too.

There are plenty of bad festivals out there, run by people who dont know anything about beer or dont care (Austin Beer Fest), and those are the ones that can sour people on festivals in general. A festival that is focused on the experience of the beer lover is guaranteed to be good.

Ken
    ShameAndFailure and cfh64 like this.
  33. AAxsom

AAxsom Aficionado (210) Texas Jan 13, 2010

You haven't experienced a line until you go to GABF.
  34. H0rnedFr0gs

I got permission to attend as a VIP this year!!!

The lady will possibly join as a later in the day GA. Ticket will be bought today if anybody is on the fence about going we can crew up. OOOOH OOOOO! I like the idea of meeting up at C&G'S but they won't be open yet (although they can open sooner than noon of Saturdays if they wanted to?)
  35. thirdeye11

Just not sure I recommend pre-gaming a beer fest. Post-gaming if you're still capable, would be a better plan.
    frognot, codybear127, cfh64 and 5 others like this.
  36. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

This x infinity. lol
    thirdeye11 likes this.
  37. mattisloco

Ya I like the idea but last year I was right where I needed to be when I left.
  38. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I'm thinking about going, but I don't know if I would enjoy it because of the long lines and being super crowded.. How bad we're the lines last year?
  39. mattisloco

Internally the lines were very short. I heard Jester King got pretty long in the afternoon but I didn't hear anyone complain. The entrance line held around the 25 to 35 minute mark.

I don't like lines or an abundance of people and I had a wonderful time.
  40. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I am going to go, it sounds like a lot of fun