Big Texas Beer Fest 2013

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by mattisloco, Jan 23, 2013.

1. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

Just returned from Austin, and had good success... I think anyway. We met with about 6 Austin brewers, and I think with any luck, we will add most of them to this year's festivities.

Texas is a great craft beer market, and we're hoping to give all Texas craft brewers a platform they can be proud of to showcase their products to consumers who want to try all that our state has to offer. The funny thing is, most Austin brewers told me that they do not do festivals, because of being burned in the past, and not being able to know whether or not something was a true craft beer festival. Most of them also told me, that they heard our event last year was a blast, and I felt humbled that almost all of them seemed excited and interested to be part of what we're doing here in North Texas.

Cheers,
    Chad

2. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Make them an offer they can't refuse Chad...

3. thirdeye11

Don't worry, we are already on top of this. :)

4. H0rnedFr0gs

If they resist its time to show them the stick...

In this case you take them out behind the shed and introduce them to three things. Me, a beer funnel, and a case of Black Tuesday. They will capitulate, oh yes they will!

5. The line to get in wasn't too bad. Once you get inside, the building is massive. So there's plenty of room to stand around and drink your beer without being elbow to elbow with other people.

6. thirdeye11

They've done events with 12,000+ in our building before. Our capacity this year is less than half of that, plus we have an outdoor area that will be even larger than last year. Should be plenty of room for all.

gtermi likes this.
  7. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

I'm going to try to attend but wife, kids etc... real life.

8. thirdeye11

Just checking in here. A handful of the special beers that we'll have, is beginning to trickle in. One is Peticolas Great Scot! cask with vanilla and cocoa nibs. I can't discuss the Jester King beers yet (all of them are to be announced) but suffice to say we'll have some great things from them also.

If you're wanting to go VIP, we are over 50% sold out on VIP tickets. Hope to see some BAs in attendance!

Cheers,
    Chad

9. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Thanks for the reminder Chad. I'm going VIP, plan on purchasing this weekend.

Any word from Karbach?

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  10. Just made my wife buy our tickets. Looking forward to some beer.

thirdeye11 likes this.
  11. thirdeye11

They told me they are in, but I need confirmation on paper before I make any formal announcements. I'm not sending out forms for participation until next Monday so I should start hearing back in the coming weeks after that.

We will be the first craft beer festival for many breweries in the state of Texas, something we're very proud of. We'll continue to work hard to make the event better every year. Happy to be able to do this.

12. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (265) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Bought my tickets a couple weeks ago. Definitely VIP.

thirdeye11 and mattisloco like this.
  13. Gunch52

Gunch52 Savant (250) Texas Feb 4, 2013

Went last year and had a blast. Plan on going again this year.

JJFoodie and thirdeye11 like this.
  14. ATA1K

ATA1K Aficionado (150) Texas Feb 4, 2013

Didnt get to make it last year, but willl be going VIP with some others this year. A big part was because of your activity on the forums Chad. Lookin forward to it!

15. thirdeye11

Thank you! We appreciate the support. A year ago we had no real craft beer festivals. Just happy we have a couple now.

Cheers,
    Chad

16. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

We have a ton. Sadly only a few are worthy of true beernerds.

Happy yours tops the list!

thirdeye11 likes this.
  17. bbadger

bbadger Savant (385) Texas May 20, 2011

Just bought VIP tickets. I can't wait! Are there going to be any events the night before?

18. thirdeye11

I imagine so, unfortunately I will likely be too tied up to attend.

19. mattisloco

I'm hosting a water tasting the night before at my place. There's going to be water pong, water polo and maybe even a water bong if I invite the right people. I plan on drinking til I pass out, wake up and do it all over again!

I personally can not drink alcohol the night before a big event like this. In my younger days I'd stay trashed all weekend with no problems... getting older sucks :(

blatherbeard, cfh64, JJFoodie and 4 others like this.
  20. tx_beer_man

Not a bad idea...too bad I'll be in Dallas for the first time in years..Rahr's calling.

JJFoodie likes this.
  21. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

I'm definitely making the trip. Where's a good place to stay that isn't $150?

22. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Asked for the weekend off so I can go. Definitely a maybe right now. Are there gonna be any Friday night activities?

23. H0rnedFr0gs

Try Priceline. Plenty of close hotels and its not race week.

Heard that Martin House Brewing will be at this event. Very excited to try their stuff.

24. tigrstylz

Cool, Thanks. I haven't been to Dallas in a while. The DART thing sounds real convenient. Is "downtown" the hotel area?

25. H0rnedFr0gs

The way Priceline works unfortunately you could be stuck at the far north part of that area (still an easy taxi or couple mile trek). If anyone has used Priceline for the Dallas area recently maybe toss out some $'s spent and where you ended up staying. It was great to spread that info especially week of..at the JK anniversary we were able to stay at the same hotel as a few other BA's and we had a lil late night share.

But generally a DART station is close everywhere in the downtown area and wherever you end up will work.

26. tigrstylz

That would be cool. That seemed to work out for ya'll.

27. thirdeye11

If you want to wait another couple weeks, I should have more hotel deals posted on our travel page. Last year we had one under $100 that was right on the RAIL station. I'll get on it soon. :)

Cheers,
    Chad

JJFoodie likes this.
  28. mattisloco

Try checking out

HolidayInn Dallas Central - Park Cities $89 a night

JJFoodie likes this.
  29. tigrstylz

Thanks guys, pulling the trigger on the VIP and looking forward to meeting everyone..

JJFoodie and thirdeye11 like this.
  30. mattisloco

Got things worked out on April 6th, Stephanie and I are going ....

[​IMG]

31. thirdeye11

Thanks Matt. We're over 60% sold out on VIP now, shouldn't be too much longer before they are gone. I think our billboards went up on Friday thanks to Ralston Outdoor.

32. Chad, have you solicited Freetail to participate in the festivities? Adding that brewery would make this festival the mecca of Texas craft brew. I know people who would fly in from Colorado and Oregon for a festival with Freetail (and of course the rest of the stellar line up). If I were in your shoes I would do whatever it takes to get those guys there (i.e. payment, location, festival advertising). Adding that brewery would complete the circle and show unity in the Texas craft beer movement.

33. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (240) Texas May 11, 2009

I wish they could, but (IIRC) brewpubs are not allowed at festivals in Texas under current TABC laws...but maybe that'll change soon, too! Sadly, this also knocks out other great Texas brewpubs from participating (NXNW, Flix, Blue Star, etc.). I hope, as I'm sure we all do, that there is greater parity and equality for beer in Texas!

34. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Freetail can't go. Texas Brewpubs can't participate in beer festivals in Texas.

EDIT: Jinx!

gtermi and JJFoodie like this.
  35. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (240) Texas May 11, 2009

Great minds...

36. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Talk about shitty outdated laws..

JJFoodie likes this.
  37. Damnit...

I saw them at the GABF so I thought they were just limiting the festivals they go to. What could have ever inspired this law to pass?

38. Sethzilla

Sethzilla Aficionado (240) Texas Oct 10, 2012

Grabbed a VIP ticket... had a blast meeting people at the C&G bottle share and can't wait to share some more beers with y'all.

39. thirdeye11

Limiting small business are just the ways of big business. I'm sure those laws are not there by accident. Thanks for the kind words. I know Scott (the owner of Freetail) and Jason (the head brewer) well, and would love nothing more than for them to be at Big Texas Beer Fest. One day... There are bills up for consideration for this legislative session right now, that would change this, and allow brew pubs to categorize themselves as production breweries and therefore, sell their production via a distributor. If it passes, we could have them out next year.

Cheers,
    Chad

40. tx_beer_man

For those who use Living Social, I just purchased 2 nights @ $59 each at the Dallas Best Western Plus. A five minute drive from the DART station where you can park, its then a 37 minute DART trip from Forest Lane Station to Fair Park Station. I've already done some research. The hotel has plenty of rooms April 5 and 6. DART is accurate in its travel times.

For those who want to make me happy, use my referral link to purchase the living social deal for the hotel. I'll be buying beers for the three who make my deal free. BM me.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/609958?ref=share-link-post&rpi=105703462&rui=76487699

thirdeye11 likes this.