1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Big Time Whiny the Complainer

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by distantmantra, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I know, no rare beers and all that, but Big Time is releasing Whiny today, and they've got bombers for sale this year. I thought the 2012 version was really nice, gonna stop by today after work for a pint.
    Rutager and beertunes like this.
  2. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (330) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Last year my pour came in a small 6oz snifter. And I ate a jalapeno. So I kinda screwed up the beer.

Looking forward to trying this year's version, which is slightly different from last year's. It'd be nice to get a larger pour, too.

And a bottle...
  3. What kind of price do you think the bottles will be? Sounds like it will be tasty.
  4. Old Sol and Old Wooly were ~$10 (?) a bottle, so I'm guessing something similar.

edit: 30 cases available.
  5. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Think those were more like $15
  6. Anyone going that wants to trade me a couple bottles? I can get a lot of stuff here in Colorado.
  7. You're probably right, I can't remember how much I paid for them.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Would someone mind posting when the last bomber is gone? I might try to get over there tonight but don't want to waste a trip... (I'll also try to remember to call Big Time but who am I kidding, I'm always checking BA thread updates)
    beertunes likes this.
  9. I don't see there being a run on bottles today. It's Big Time, stuff lasts a while. I'm going over to have dinner at 5pm, so I'll let you know.
    draheim likes this.
  10. mdaschaf

mdaschaf Advocate (595) Washington Mar 28, 2010

Bottles are $14.50+tax for those interested
    cannabanaceae and slinkie like this.
  11. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Most expensive DIPA on the market?
  12. CRAAZY RARE DUDER!!!
  13. That's an immediate pass. I'll take my $15 and get a growler of the brother. I don't even have to taste whiny and I know the brother is better.
  14. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I've had this on my Wants list for a while. Does this usually hang out for a bit, or is it gone pretty quick?
  15. This is the first year they've bottled it, so no clue. Last year was keg only and hung out for a good while.

Big Time bottles typically do hang around a bit, though. I mean, they're brewery only and their average customers are college students and professors who come in for something to eat and a beer.
  16. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Thanks for the info. I'll have to follow this, and maybe land a bottle or two.
  17. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

If only they bottled Cereal Killer...
  18. Cereal Killer was on tap still... :)

Stopped in around 5pm for dinner with the kiddo. Place was absolutely packed, didn't seem to be a concern about bottles selling out any time soon. Also, I noticed that the Whiny bottles have WABL bottle caps on them. Hadn't seen those before.
  19. Smurf2055

They used those caps for Old Wooly this year as well.
  20. My Old Wooly 2012 doesn't have one of 'em. Weird.
  21. Can't wait to drink this at lunch :)
  22. Bartender said around 5 cases left.
  23. Wow, they sold a bunch of beer today.
  24. Yeah, but then I just asked another bartender for shits and giggles, and she said they "have a bunch of cases downstairs." Who knows!
  25. Smurf2055

My bad, I think I was thinking of Switchback or 666 lol.

Just stopped by and bought some bottles, there is still some left. Didn't ask how much though.
  26. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

And thanks for that!
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  27. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Had Whiny last night at The Beer Authority and loved it. Gonna try to get to Big Time after work and hopefully pick up a couple bottles. Worth the $15 IMO to share with some buddies who wouldn't otherwise try any.
  28. RWNewhouse

RWNewhouse Savant (280) Montana Feb 14, 2011

29. Trading is hard.
  30. TheEarl

TheEarl Aficionado (165) Washington Apr 10, 2012

I went to the Whiny tapping at The Pine Box on Monday and had 2 (first in a tulip, second in a smaller goblet thing). The hop complexity is pretty amazing. There seems to be some representation from the full spectrum of hop flavors--from tropical, to piney, to dank. That said, the ~11% ABV was a bit hot.
  31. And expensive.
  32. RWNewhouse

RWNewhouse Savant (280) Montana Feb 14, 2011

no doubt
  33. I picked one of these up today. A bit sweet and a bit hot, overall not bad. Not worth $15 IMHO
  34. Shhh...
  35. I doesn't matter how good it is, it's still rare!
    distantmantra and guajolote like this.
  36. CaptainQ

CaptainQ Savant (270) Washington Feb 17, 2013

2014 version is on tap and in bottles. First time having it and I thoroughly enjoyed my 12 oz glass at lunch. Bought 2 bottles to take home.
  37. I stopped in for lunch both yesterday and today for a glass -- pretty tasty stuff.
  38. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It's not often that you see a thread skip ahead by precisely one year. Well done.
    anteater and sharpski like this.
  39. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (505) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

I like your eye for mundane coincidences.
  40. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Aficionado (175) Oregon Oct 22, 2010

15 bucks for a bomber of this super overrated DIPA? Now this is just gettin' ridiculous....