Big Wood Cans

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by legwhipper, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

I get that palates are different but I pick up plenty of nice coffee flavors in Morning Wood. One of the things I like most about it is the balance in the roasted coffee flavors with the roasted malt. Some coffee beers can cross the line and taste over roasted like a bad cup of Starbucks.

Coffee Bender does an ever better job of balancing the roasted flavors and IMO has a much better coffee nose than Morning Wood.

Redband seems to push the limits a little but the coffee aspects are so good with that beer and as noted above the value is awesome too.

2. Chaz

Chaz Grand Pooh-Bah (3,544) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Haven't seen Redband at my locals for some time; Was it pulled or was there just a gap in ordering?

I wish the Big Wood folks the best of luck with this package. :sunglasses:

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The legal difference between contract-brewing and an alternate proprietorship arrangement is based only on which licensed brewery (the host or the tennant) owns the raw ingredients and the finished beer, keeps the records, applies for the COLA's, pays the Excise Tax,etc., not whose employees brew and package the beer.

See TTB pdf Alternating Brewery Proprietorship, which includes this section:
    Within the industry (and the greater beer culture), an AP is considered "...another form of contract (brewing)..." at least it is according to Garrett Oliver's "Contract Brewing" entry in The Oxford Companion to Beer

Penguin3200 likes this.
  4. wuuin

wuuin Initiate (0) May 16, 2007 Minnesota

It's a solid beer, for sure. But $11/4-pack is about $3 too much. I know it's apples and oranges, but I picked up a twlever of Saga for that price yesterday.

surlytwinsfan likes this.
  5. incutrav

incutrav Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

For better or worse, I typically consider the oppurtunity cost when buying beer(or anything for that matter). If I spend my 11 dollars on beer X, what other beer am I now not able to purchase with those 11 dollars?

I think Morning Wood will be in trouble once Founders Breakfast Stout comes out in six pks for 9.99. Should be soon.

pmccallum86 likes this.
  6. wuuin

wuuin Initiate (0) May 16, 2007 Minnesota

completely agree, incutrav.

7. derekpk

derekpk Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Minnesota

Well that's nice. I was just pointing out who actually brews the beer which is the important part. No need to get technical...

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, yeah, that's easy for you to say, I obviously felt there was :grimacing: (sorry, it's a sort of "fact fetish" I have).

But that's kinda my point, what exactly does that mean -"actually brews the beer" - in the case of an alternating proprietorship arrangement in a large, modern, automated brewhouse like Cold Spring's Third St.? Is the "tenant" brewer like the businessperson renting a Chevy from Hertz? "...and here are your keys. Have a nice trip!"

"Contract brewing" has acquired a negative connotation to many (some might say it's always had one, dating back to BBC's early days and Koch's GABF hucksterism), so some brewers have taken to singing the "We don't contract brew, we have an AP" line. As Koch often noted, his BBC contracts included the right to have his brewers onsite, yet for an AP that is not even a requirement. In this case, I imagine Cold Spring's brewer and crew were there, "assisting".

9. derekpk

derekpk Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Minnesota

I telling you who brews the beer because the owners told us themselves at a launch party. I work at the distributor that they are with. So it is fact.

Yes the terminology says they don't have to brew it and MAY have the host brew it but that is not the case in this situation. Maybe I should have made that clear from the start.

10. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

I bought a 4-pack to try. I hope it is better than Redband or else it will be the last 4-pack of Morning Wood I buy.

11. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

Zipps has the 9.99 six packs now. I like morning wood and will continue to get it as well as breakfast stout, they are different beers, however if wake and bake was available, I would just buy that in mass quantities.

12. incutrav

I didnt think it was better then Redband, although the problem with them is you role the dice on getting a sour 4pk. I'll admit, for seven bucks a 4pk I might role said dice.

13. blackdog1101

blackdog1101 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

My local store in the western suburbs has this priced at $14.49 per 4 pack. That's freaking crazy.

I'm pretty much fed up with Cold Spring. They jump on the craft bandwagon with their history of brewing lousy beer, continue to brew uninspired beer, and charge full craft prices for the stuff. They should just go back to brewing Gluek and do what they do best.

14. deadbody

deadbody Initiate (0) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Not particularly impressed with this one. Bought a single cause the 4 pack price had me a bit over it. Thin and not supre coffee forward. Probably will not buy again.

15. Lifeofbrian

Lifeofbrian Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 Minnesota

Ask for a price check.

16. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have seen it priced from $9.99-$11.99 in the western 'burbs. Mind saying which store you were at?

Morning Wood is not a very good beer and will not buy it again. Even at $7.99 I would choose Redband over Morning Wood. You do not like Third Street beers? I enjoyed all of them, especially Lost Trout, and find them a good value.

17. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Initiate (0) May 15, 2008 Minnesota

I was surprised at how much coffee flavor there was not in this beer. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I wanted either.

18. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

I think that morning wood on tap is vastly better, a little bummed at the thin mouthfeel it has in cans, will buy again, but it is not a personal favorite.

19. blackdog1101

blackdog1101 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

Harbor Wine & Liquor in Mound. Saw it on Saturday.

20. incutrav

I did roll the dice on some Redband over the weekend. Price went up a tick, to 7.49, but the first two cans I had from the 4pk were great.

Store had Morning Wood right next to it for 10.99. I do recall enjoying it a lot at ABR, but the canned version seems to be quite different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.