1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bigfoot Caps, 2013

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by hopscrazy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Cracked my first Bigfoot a moment ago paired with some aged parmesan and smoked salmon... Noticed a scene of Bigfoot drinking a Bigfoot with a couple lumberjacks by the fire.

So I have 3 questions... Have there been pictures under the caps for previous years of this beer?

Do other Sierra Nevada beers have this feature on caps?

Also, are the pictures under the 2013 caps all the same? Probably won't crack a second of these tonight to find out as I'm going to move to a Sofie after this...

[​IMG]
    IMAG0468.jpg by hops-crazy, on Flickr
  2. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Well now the increase in price this year makes complete sense.
  3. That's awesome! I've never noticed an image in previous Big Foot vintages. I do have a couple fresh 2013, but planning to sit on them for a bit. I suppose I'll figure it out in a year or two. Sierra Nevada does not do this with any of their regularly featured beers.

Cheers!!
  4. The cartoon's been there at least since the late '90's (probably longer, but '98's are the oldest bottles still in my cellar).
    forrestbetts likes this.
  5. One of my beer buddies opened a 2006 vintage at a recent tasting we had and the same picture was under the cap, albeit harder to make out than this example.
    drewone likes this.
  6. I had a '93 in '93, but don't remember much, other than I thought I was having a sandwich in a glass. A sweet, sweet sandwich. Man, I wish I would have saved that bad boy.
  7. MalexOG1980

MalexOG1980 Aspirant (45) Texas Jan 22, 2011

Not in 2011 or 2012 as I recall. I think I would have remembered this. Its a gimmick, but I usually am amused...
  8. It's been on every cap for at least 15 years, I will find out the truth when I get home later.
  9. mbierz

mbierz Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 6, 2008

I'm also not at home, but this was not on the two or three most recent years I've opened.
  10. I guess they just can't make up their minds. 1994 was the first year they put that picture on the back. I don't think there's any other Sierra Nevada cap with anything on the back. By the way, if anyone has a 1987 Bigfoot cap, I would be willing to pay or trade for it-I have a LOT of extras...
  11. It looks like they stopped putting the picture on the back from 2007 until this year. Maybe the campfire went out.
  12. Possibly related to the fact that around the same period they switched from twist-off to pry-off crowns, with an new oxygen barrier liner.