1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bigfoot moves to 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wcintula, Mar 21, 2012.

1. wcintula

wcintula Savant (335) New York May 2, 2010

2. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Ugh ... and retailers will sell them at the same price as the six-pack.
  3. aww nuts. less beer, more money. A seemingly never-ending trend.
  4. bobv

bobv Savant (450) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

I'm guessing same as Hoptimum in price.
  5. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

I'm good with this as well...
    wcintula likes this.
  6. Bad news.
    Lantern and bditty187 like this.
  7. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Hopefully the price of it will go down..but we all know it wont.

But i love Bigfoot so much i dont mind paying for just 4. So good
  8. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

It's always annoying when prices rise, but Bigfoot was a steal at $10/sixer so a small price increase doesn't offend me. This year I decided to start getting one case a year specifically to age, so eventually I'll have a healthy supply of old Bigfoot. The switch to four packs probably won't affect my plans at all (I'll only get cases from reasonable retailers, of course).
  9. gueuzer

gueuzer Savant (260) Colorado Jun 9, 2010

I always had a hard time believing they were making any money off this beer considering the ridiculous amount of hops, malts and boil time. So I'm not going to complain. At least we got to enjoy it while it lasted.

And news of MORE bigfoot is always a good thing.
    brandon911, Lantern and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I really don't mind this change. I almost always prefer 4-packs.
  11. Ah Corpulent, hopefully you will see the error of your ways next time you attempt to discredit beerandraiderfan, especially in regards to Bigfoot (re: 4 packs, told ya).

Actually, given the almost 25% jump in price for this year of Bigfoot 6 packs ($11.99-13.99 in Reno v. 9.99-10.99 last year), I think they might actually come down a little rather than charge the exact same price. I'm sure there's some psychology about jack the price before cutting the quantity down by 33%, but drop the price 10% compared to the six pack, probably "feels" like a price reduction. So I'm thinking 4 packs, $9.99-10.99 in this neck of the woods next year.
  12. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (525) Texas Jun 29, 2011

I had my first taste of Bigfoot this year and the sixer was perfect. I put one away for aging and consumed the rest over the course of a week.
    SN is always good with their prices so why automatically assume the same cost?
  13. it's not SN I'm worried about, it's the distributors and retailers, who have a strong track record of maintaining prices on a one-way street.
  14. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I'm cool with this.
  15. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

Totally support SN. Hopefully KtG will be available in 4 pack with the same price and same wide distribution.;)
    Beerandraiderfan and afrokaze like this.
  16. drh88

drh88 Savant (250) Pennsylvania Dec 21, 2005

Another of the best deals in craft beer goes by the wayside. Oh well, se la vie. They're still the best "bang for the buck" craft brewer out there IMO.
    trixdout likes this.
  17. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

Better stock up on the 6 packs this year. :(
  18. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (420) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

the rationale makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see bigfoot get into cans too...
  19. Why if you don't mind me asking? I don't see anything good about 4 packs except that some awesome beers are only available in that format.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  20. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

The retail price is not up to SN.
  21. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

That's the point. They are forced to raise prices, but they know that (for whatever reason) consumers are less put off by an $10/4pk than they are by a $15/6pk, even though it's the same price per bottle. Widmer does the exact same thing with their 924 series. They're more expensive per case than the Hefe and Drifter, but they're priced so that they end up on the shelf at the same price point, assuming the retailer uses the same margin for every beer. In other words, if they're not on sale, 6pks of Hefe and 4pks of Nelson should both hit the shelves at $8.49-$8.99 each.

SN seems to do things in a very careful, calculated fashion, so I would assume that their market research indicated that consumers would be more receptive to the increased price per bottle as long as the "package price" (whether 4pk or 6pk) didn't increase too dramatically.

Don't get me wrong, I hate to see price increases just as much as everyone, but you have to admit that $12/6pk ($2/bottle) is incredibly affordable for a 9.5% barleywine with a ridiculous amount of hops in it. Frankly. I'm amazed that the price has stayed consistent for the last 3-4 years when everyone else has been raising prices and blaming it on the hops shortage or whatever.
  22. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

Are you bothered by the fact they're going to a 4 pack or the price increase? Because honestly, Bigfoot has always been criminally underpriced.
  23. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Per sierranevadabill (as reported on beerpulse.com), they were not making money on Bigfoot. Bill really has not steered the BA community astray, so I think we have to believe him. I think we all want to see SN do well, and selling their product at a profit is part of that. I'm cool with the change.
    Lantern and Bitterbill like this.
  24. I just don't care for 4 packs really, I'd rather a sixer for the 2 extra beers because it's a little easier to throw one or two in the cellar and still have 4-5 to drink. I can totally understand where SN is coming from though; I'll just miss the killer value of the bigfoot six pack.
  25. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I just prefer the smaller investment of 4-packs.
  26. Smaller investment as in the investment of less storage space? 4 packs are usually a pretty bad value in comparison to most six packs.
  27. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

You could always buy two 4pks. Then you could drink a few and still have 4-5 to cellar.
  28. In a perfect world I would but then were talking roughly 25-40 bucks for 8 beers.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  29. I just paid 50 bucks for a case last week, how much are they going up ??
  30. bobv

Crazy!
    I'll take 20.
    That would be less than wholesale!!!
  31. It's not crazy. (I am)
    Gordon's, Main St Waltham Ma. (either 50-52 bucks case price)
    I believe Berman's Lexington, Ma. (about the same)
    Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma. (a little higher)
    Julio's (must be the same.)

Bring down your 1,000 bucks and pick up your beer.
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  32. bobv

Jess kiddin'
    That is not below wholesale, but a great, great deal @ $50. It shouldn't last too long at that price.
    Vt is $55 + tax = over $58.
  33. If it goes from $10 a sixer to $10 a 4-pack, that's more than a small price increase. It's nearly a 50% increase in cost per bottle.
  34. Guess I'll pick up a couple sixers of this years'.
  35. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Amen! It's worth much more than it sells for... and I'm one of the cheap bastards who bitches about prices.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'll still be buying BigFoot however it is packaged and priced at in my town. And I am unanimous in this.
    4balance likes this.
  37. Guess I'll be on the hunt for the remaining 6-packs while they're still out there. Still, a 4-pack of Bigfoot is worth the average $10.
  38. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I doubt it will actually be $10 a four pack, at least at retailers that price things reasonably (my condolences if you don't have one nearby).

That aside, as others have agreed, Bigfoot was almost criminally underpriced at $10/sixer. A 50% increase seems big, yes, but given the low price to start I don't think it's anything crazy. It would still be dramatically cheaper than most any comparable barleywine (I'm sure there are exceptions, but none come to mind).
    Caterwaul likes this.
  39. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

I had to pay over 15 dollars a six pack this year. Unfortunately Bigfoot is the only beer that I really feel I need to purchase, as I have a vertical going back to 2008
    Alilley likes this.
  40. People will get over it.
    CowsandBeer likes this.